Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

la force supreme des mclaren

Mclaren Confirm Kovalainen For 2009

Heikki Kovalainen will remain alongside Lewis Hamilton at McLaren next year, his team confirmed to autosport.com in Hungary on Thursday.

The Finn joined the Woking-based at the start of this season and, although being quick in qualifying, bad luck has robbed him of several points-finishing positions.

He has taken just one podium finish, where he finished third in Malaysia, but secured his maiden pole position at the British Grand Prix.

It is understood that Kovalainen's contract with McLaren contained an option for his services next year and the team have ended speculation about his future by confirming he will remain there.

Although there is no official statement, McLaren F1 CEO Martin Whitmarsh told autosport.com that Kovalainen would be continuing with the team.

"We welcomed Heikki on board at the start of the year," said Whitmarsh. "He is under contract to Vodafone McLaren Mercedes, and will continue to race for us in the 2009 season."

................................................................................

Hope it does good for his confidence and wonders for his luck.........

You can't say that when we still have the old Barrichello!! :lol:

Heikkins Kovalchello my friend. Or Rukki Barrilainen. :lol:

I don't know what to think about Heikki. I thought he was stronger and although I had assumed Hamilton would beat him I didn't expect too see such a gap (30 points) in the standings so soon. That piece of news is good for him, I suppose, but I would like to see Rosberg partnering Hamilton.

It's a good decision. Heikki fits with Mclaren quite well I think. He has immense raw speed, which has allowed him to keep up with and overshadow Lewis in qualifying already, once he finds his race setup, well..the lewisterics will be shaking in their boots :lol:

Good for Kovi. Now he can relax, and focus on getting quicker.

Heikki Kovalainen, the new Barrichello? :eusa_think:

McLaren cannot ask for any better. Kova is getting screwed over and still he smiles gratefully...

But Kova is good or, rather, the difference beyween MS and RB was greater than between Hamilton and Kova... there will be problems eventually and more so if Hamilton does not scream his way to the WC.

McLaren cannot ask for any better. Kova is getting screwed over and still he smiles gratefully...
"En 2007 el equipo tom

But Kova is good or, rather, the difference beyween MS and RB was greater than between Hamilton and Kova... there will be problems eventually and more so if Hamilton does not scream his way to the WC.

I don't really see any evidence to suggest Heikki's that good, either last year or this. I think he makes a fine #2, but that's all.

Sorry to be harsh, but I think it speaks volumes that he was Ron's third choice to replace Nando.

I'd like to hear Allen & Brundle pronounce those!! :lol:

"H-H-H----- LEWIS HAMILTON." :lol:

Delighted about this. He's not quite on Lewis' level yet but he has been very unlucky at times and perhaps Lewis has an advantage having been fully settled in the team.

Good for him, although he is playing abit of a Barichello role.

I don't really see any evidence to suggest Heikki's that good, either last year or this. I think he makes a fine #2, but that's all.

Sorry to be harsh, but I think it speaks volumes that he was Ron's third choice to replace Nando.

Only about Ron's bad judgement! :D

Heikki is a talented driver. In the second half of his rookie season he beat Fisi very convincingly indeed. Even if Fisi is not that good, Kova was easily beating him. No one can deny Heikki did well in his rookie season.

Fortunate win or not, I think hell now improve dramatically now and we'll see just what a good decision it was to keep him on.

Fortunate win or not, I think hell now improve dramatically now and we'll see just what a good decision it was to keep him on.

Fortunate win? Perhaps. So is Kimi's podium. Anyways, he is a good driver, and McLaren obviously wants a guy that's good but also docile. Kovy fits pretty well so far.

If he keeps up his performance, I wonder why they wouldn't want to keep him.

Unless he crashes into Lewis on occasion.

Good for him & just @ the right time meaning Bruno Senna will probably either be test driver next season for McLaren or try & win the GP2 title next season if Pantano is gone!

His win changes nothing for me. I still have yet to be impressed. I'll agree he's got potential, but is still not matching Hamilton's pace, so he's going to be stuck as a Barrichello style #2 unless his race pace picks up.

I hope he proves me wrong, because he's a very nice chap. Unfortunately nice guys don't tend to become WDCs these days- you need a bit of dastardliness......

Like most of you have said Heikki fits well in the McLaren mould and Ron rightly resigned him. He is quick and can only get quicker as he works through some of the differculties that he has had in the first half of the season. I expect Heikki to further improve in the second half of the season like he did last year boosted by his win (fortunate it may have been) in Hungary. However I think Ron still has his eyes on Nico for McLaren drive as soon as his current Williams contract expires.