Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jez

Alonso To Honda?!

Source

Woah! Who'da thunk it? I suppose if he can't be with Ferrari, then being on Brawn's team is the next best thing.

Source

Woah! Who'da thunk it? I suppose if he can't be with Ferrari, then being on Brawn's team is the next best thing.

well, it's supposely the swithover move to Ferrari come 2010... I think it will be a very bad decision, I really hope for Alonso's sake he does'nt go to honda next year. He should stay put with Renault and move to Ferrari if Kimi retires.

It is going to be another bad move, disastrous for his CV

Source

HE CAN ONLY GO IN 2010 TO FERRARI UNLESS KIMI QUITS THIS YEAR.

BUT THE DEAL IS DONE.

BUT THE DEAL IS DONE.

Who says it's a signed done deal????

Here's a little more perspective from grandprix.com...

"The big question that is holding up the market at the moment is what happens with Kimi Raikkonen. There is much speculation in F1 circles that the Finn will retire at the end of the year, despite being only 28. Raikkonen has made no secret of his dislike of the F1 lifestyle, has made all the money he needs in his life, and does not seem to be hugely motivated, despite still being in the running for the World Championship. He has a contract to stay at Ferrari next year, but in a case of retirement this would be forgotten. One can argue that the obvious replacement for Raikkonen is Fernando Alonso - although some might say Robert Kubica. Given that the Pole is under a BMW team option and has little room to manoeuvre, it is not likely that he will be seen at Maranello for a while. There has been talk for some months that Alonso has already signed some kind of option to join Ferrari in 2010.

This has been denied by Ferrari.

Fernando says he could move from Renault and he is believed to have been talking to various teams, including Renault, Honda and BMW. The problem he has is that while his on-track performance remains strong, teams are a little wary about him because of the troubles that developed at McLaren in 2007 when he found himself under pressure from Lewis Hamilton.

The latest suggestion is that Alonso will go to Honda for a year before moving to Ferrari in 2010. There is no question that Honda is looking for a star name and that the market is a little short of them at the moment. Our sources say that Honda has looked at Alonso, Kubica, Sebastien Vettel and Rosberg. With the last two having signed elsewhere and Kubica likely to stay where he is, Alonso is the only practical option, but it is not clear whether there is much logic in a driver going to a team for one season. It takes time to settle in to a new team and to get everything moving in the right direction and most drivers today prefer longer-term deals to give themselve a better chance of success. There are high hopes that Honda will move up the ladder next year with the first car overseen by Ross Brawn, but F1 is such a complex business today that there are no guarantees that all the people are yet in the right places. If there were no Ferrari possibility in the background Honda might be a good move for Fernando, so that he can lead the team to success (and ensure that it is built around him) but the rumours of a Ferrari deal seem well-sourced. Alonso was recently spotted in Lugano, Switzerland, and while he says he was there on a holiday, it is well known in F1 circles that for many years Ferrari deals have been done in that city, thanks to the fact that Lugano is the headquarters of the legal firm Peter, Bernasconi & Partners. This is headed by Dr Henry Peter, Ferrari's lawyer. If Alonso was there just for a visit as he claimed, it was not the smartest thing to do if he is trying to quieten down rumours of a Ferrari deal. However, it may be that a visit to Lugano is a good idea as it increases the Ferrari speculation and thus enables Fernando to discuss his future with other teams with a stronger negotiating hand."

Any teams left for him to have "a closed deal for 2009"? U thinke we read about them all: Toyota, Ferrari, BMW, Honda, Red Bull...

Oh, and Jenson already hinted that he would welcome Nando to the team. Seems that they get along well outside the track.

It is interesting that Nando seems to be well liked by many other drivers (Trulli, Button, Kubica, Webber) and wanted by many teams, yet still some media try to represent him as a pariah in the Formula 1 world. :P

By the way, I read that 68% of the Spaniards do not want him to g o to Honda, according to a poll.

BUT THE DEAL IS DONE.

Source please.

Oh, and Jenson already hinted that he would welcome Nando to the team. Seems that they get along well outside the track.

:lol: Wait until they're team mates. I wouldn't be surprised if it ended in tears. Jenson is more friendly than Lewis, and not as quick, but still...

It is interesting that Nando seems to be well liked by many other drivers (Trulli, Button, Kubica, Webber) and wanted by many teams, yet still some media try to represent him as a pariah in the Formula 1 world. :P

Yeah, ITV interviewed him about his poker playing with Bernie this time. It was the most interesting I've seen him!

By the way, I read that 68% of the Spaniards do not want him to g o to Honda, according to a poll.

For once they're right. Why on "earth" would he go there? Sure they might improve a little, maybe they might beat Renault in 2010 but not by much, whereas Renault are the safer bet. Plus there's the risk surely of going to a mainly British team, with a British driver, who's been there a long time and isn't too shabby.... If he goes there, especially for a 2 year deal, it makes me wonder what his Ferrari options really are.

:lol: Wait until they're team mates. I wouldn't be surprised if it ended in tears. Jenson is more friendly than Lewis, and not as quick, but still...

I have the same feeling. Then again, I felt the same when Kubica said he would "welcome" Alonso to BMW. Maybe they know better than we do. I

Yeah, ITV interviewed him about his poker playing with Bernie this time. It was the most interesting I've seen him!

:lol: I wish I watched that!

For once they're right. Why on "earth" would he go there? Sure they might improve a little, maybe they might beat Renault in 2010 but not by much, whereas Renault are the safer bet. Plus there's the risk surely of going to a mainly British team, with a British driver, who's been there a long time and isn't too shabby.... If he goes there, especially for a 2 year deal, it makes me wonder what his Ferrari options really are.

I also agree that there is not much use in going to Honda for just 1 year. It will not be enough to really develop the car and in any case he will be released too late by Renault to let him have any incidence in the 2009 Honda's development. Not to mention that if Kimi decides not to retire or Ferrari decides not to hire Nando, he will be stuck there, just like Button.

On the other hand, 2009 will see the first car developed in Brawn's era at Honda and the new regulations may mix up the field a little. Nando+Button+Brawn= Honda's best hope ever to achieve something. If they cannot show any improvements which such casting, then they should all commit seppukku.

If Alonso has done a deal of some kind with Ferrari for 2010, which I think he has, then it doesn't really matter what he does in 2009. Mostly because if he isn't in a Ferrari/Mclaren in 2009, then he ain't winning the title, so it just becomes a question who he isn't winning the title with, and if Alonso isn't winning or challenging, what's the difference between 5th and 15th?

Anyway, I think it's actually a good move, with a clean slate Honda could do something decent.

EDIT: Oh and as for long term contracts, well, I think 2007 showed that they don't mean much.

Oh Nando, why ruin your career after all the success in the past few years?? It's exactly what Damon Hill did the year after his WDC glory <_<

"Better the devil you know than the devil you don't" I think is most appropriate advice I would have for Fernando. Why the hell (excuse the pun) bother moving teams going through all that get to know one another stage with new engineers, ect ect ect for one year.

Alonso won't go to Honda next year. As far as I know by reading the newspaper he hasn't signed for any team yet. I think we could have two scenarios:

1) Ferrari 2010, he would stay in Renault for 2009.

2) If he is not going to Maranello for 2010 he would only think about Renault, Toyota and BMW. In that particular order I think. But they have to show in Renault they want to be WC again with a bigger budget. Toyota and BMW are hungry for glory, like Alonso himself.

Alonso won't go to Honda next year. As far as I know by reading the newspaper he hasn't signed for any team yet. I think we could have two scenarios:

1) Ferrari 2010, he would stay in Renault for 2009.

2) If he is not going to Maranello for 2010 he would only think about Renault, Toyota and BMW. In that particular order I think. But they have to show in Renault they want to be WC again with a bigger budget. Toyota and BMW are hungry for glory, like Alonso himself.

IF he would leave Renault and IF he would not leave to Ferrari, then I would chose Honda over Toyota and perhaps even BMW. All the awe I never had for Schumi, I have for Brawn.

Mr Complain does it again

Renault to study Ferrari pitstop data

5 August, 2008

Reports in the Spanish press have raised suspicions about a pitstop involving the Ferrari of world champion Kimi R

Mr Complain does it again

Renault to study Ferrari pitstop data

5 August, 2008

Reports in the Spanish press have raised suspicions about a pitstop involving the Ferrari of world champion Kimi R

The word in the paddock is that Kimi will probably retire this year rather than next. He's bored and he is driving like it. Ferrari admire Nando but they like Webber and Kubica too. If Kimi does go at the end of the season, Nando would most likely get the drive as MW and RK are committed for 2009. If he stays, then others may come into the equation for the red cars. It is easy to assume that Jens is slow. He is not. Driving a shed for three years can take your hunger away. Then Brawn arrived and on slicks, in testing earlier this year, JB was super-fast. He was also as smooth as silk in those tests. I watched them. He will be seriously rapid in a decent ride, especially with a charger in the team. Unfortunately, he needs more than a better ride to re-motivate him and Brawn knows this. He is a master of man management. Jens is no team leader though and despite the fact that he has learned a lot, mainly through trial and error, he does not have the technical brain Brawn would require in a lead driver. Hence the attraction of Nando. It is not written in stone though and we may yet see further movements like Honda agreeing not to upset Flav and sign Nando in return for a crack at Bruno Senna. Watch this space.

The word in the paddock is that Kimi will probably retire this year rather than next. He's bored and he is driving like it. Ferrari admire Nando but they like Webber and Kubica too. If Kimi does go at the end of the season, Nando would most likely get the drive as MW and RK are committed for 2009. If he stays, then others may come into the equation for the red cars. It is easy to assume that Jens is slow. He is not. Driving a shed for three years can take your hunger away. Then Brawn arrived and on slicks, in testing earlier this year, JB was super-fast. He was also as smooth as silk in those tests. I watched them. He will be seriously rapid in a decent ride, especially with a charger in the team. Unfortunately, he needs more than a better ride to re-motivate him and Brawn knows this. He is a master of man management. Jens is no team leader though and despite the fact that he has learned a lot, mainly through trial and error, he does not have the technical brain Brawn would require in a lead driver. Hence the attraction of Nando. It is not written in stone though and we may yet see further movements like Honda agreeing not to upset Flav and sign Nando in return for a crack at Bruno Senna. Watch this space.

The Insider...how interesting...

I for one think Kimi will actually honor his contract and stay till end 2009. The media is just having a field party, they are clueless and misinterpred facts to sell somethin....

anyway, :welcome:

Are you guys a bunch of n00b morons or something ?!

BTW does anyone remember the 1994 season ?!

This is Grand Prix racing and there's always "something".

Ferrari said the same thing earlier about BMW.

You'd think that it shouldn't surprise anyone anymore that a team x found "something" to do better than others to gain an advantage and that one or the rest of the teams would suspect and/or complain about that "something".

This is an atmosphere of suspicion and self-interests where bending and/or braking the rules was always part of the game.

And it happened since 1906 when the first Grand Prix took place.

So again I ask, are you guys a bunch of n00b morons or something ?!

I doubt Alonso is moving to Ferrari in 2010, Ferrari probably want to get their hands on Kubi to partner Massa. I don't see Massa leaving Ferrari for a while. The problem I see is that Massa is too good to be a second driver but not good enough to be a WDC so Ferrari can't tell him to hang back.

I think Alonso's best chances are to stay at Renault, hope that 09 brings better results and rebuild the team around himself. It took Michael 5 years to bring Ferrari to the front with the help of Brawn, Stepheny and Todt. Alonso needs to be patient. Flava Flavio is a top team manager and the technical team at Renault is very good. but when you change drivers every year you just cant move up because you always get different answers.

Slow and steady wins the race still applies here, Alonso needs to sit still and work at it and not just hop around the grid hoping he gets lucky.

Oooo, I like you

:welcome: