Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rainmaster

Senna To Toro Rosso?

Berger eyeing Senna

05/08/2008

Toro Rosso boss Gerhard Berger admits that he is keeping a close watch on GP2 starlet Bruno Senna, nephew of his great friend and former teammate, the legendary Ayrton Senna.

Berger has mentored Bruno since he took up racing after a 10-year family ban, imposed in the wake of his Uncle's death. The Austrian revealing that he was first approached by the youngster's mother Viviane, Ayrton's sister.

"She wanted me to see that he was making the right moves, and I decided to help," said the Austrian, according to the Daily Telegraph. "He reminds me of Ayrton. He's very switched on, very quick-thinking."

With Senna just 7 points behind Giorgio Pantano in the fight for the GP2 Series title, there is genuine excitement among F1 fans, including the sport's ring-master, Bernie Ecclestone, that the Senna name might return to the World Championship.

"I run a team in partnership with Red Bull, and shouldn't mix personal things with business," admits Berger. "But if Bruno is clearly the best candidate, then we'll discuss it.

"Anyway, if he's GP2 champion, it doesn't matter what his name is."

With Sebastian Vettel heading to Red Bull, and Sebastien Bourdais failing to inspire, there could well be two vacancies up for grabs at the Faenza-based team next season. Senna being just one of several names on Berger's shopping list, fellow GP2 title contender Sebastian Buemi being another.

Link

It's going to happen, and it's going to be great. The boy really can drive.

Yeah I think that Bruno has the goods to be given a chance with STR next year. I would like to see Bourdais be given another year to prove his worth. Suggestions of having two rookies at STR in 09 wouldn't be wise in my opinion. They have to make the team appealing to potential buyers and having two rookies making rookie mistakes isn't appealing.

Petrobras to back F1 move for Bruno Senna?

Monday, 04 August 2008

Aug.4 (GMM) Timo Glock's continuing tenure at Toyota means that Kazuki Nakajima, who races with the backing of the Japanese carmaker, is likely to stay with Toyota-powered Williams in 2009.

However, there may also be moves within the Grove-based Williams team to look seriously at Bruno Senna, the nephew of F1's famous triple world champion Ayrton Senna.

Senna, 24, has been increasingly impressive in the feeder series GP2 this year, attracting not just the attention of his late uncle's former McLaren teammate Gerhard Berger, who has a vacancy at his team Toro Rosso for next year.

Race seats at Honda and Williams may also be up for grabs, and paddock rumours indicate that the Brazilian oil company Petrobras - which already sponsors Williams - could be willing to substantially support Senna's graduation to F1.

Test seats at BMW-Sauber and Toyota may also have been discussed for 2009 with Senna's management.

"If a very good team offered me a test drive for a year and a race drive for the next year, that's a good prospect. But I'd primarily prefer to have a race seat," he is quoted as saying by GPWeek.

Honda chief executive Nick Fry does not deny he has his eye on Senna.

"But there's been no specific move in that direction," he insisted.

Source

Touch call. Either he goes to a smaller team and risk not shining too much, thus hurting his prospects or he goes to a bigger team as tester, with the risk of losing valuable real race experience.

He has enormous pressure, too much overhype and, so far, he has not lived to his uncle's sayings that he is even better than Ayrton. Senna could develop his skills from scratch. Bruno will not have that option, Everybody will be expecting him to start his career just were his uncle left it. I hope he can cope with all this for he obviously has his share of talent. How much? I don't know. But he is not too shabby

Reading the topic title is really surreal....

But I would like to see what he could do in F1...

Bruno is being paraded around like the winner of a reality show. No real worth, overrated and trading on a name. Can we start loooking for the next Senna without actually requiring his name to be Senna? F1 is already too much of a business without it turning into the music industry.

Villeneuve, Hill, Piquet and now Senna.

All this bollocks of speed running through the family is laughable. Cash got these no hopers in. Cash and names. At least Mansell's boys are crap enough to not be considered being entered into the circus.

Bruno is being paraded around like the winner of a reality show. No real worth, overrated and trading on a name. Can we start loooking for the next Senna without actually requiring his name to be Senna? F1 is already too much of a business without it turning into the music industry.

All this bollocks of speed running through the family is laughable. Cash got these no hopers in. Cash and names. At least Mansell's boys are crap enough to not be considered being entered into the circus.

Largely true, but not in this case. It's takes a bit of talent to dominate wet races in British F3 and GP2, and to lie 2nd in the GP2 standings when it's your fourth year of racing in single seater's. He isn't the new Ayrton, he may not even be a world champ, but very few of the drivers in F1 are good enough to be. It's right to be critical of drivers who get racing seats because of their name, but there's no need to be overly critical of a driver because of their name, which I suspect is what you're doing here! Okay maybe he will suck balls, but he's shown that he deserves the chance.

Largely true, but not in this case. It's takes a bit of talent to dominate wet races in British F3 and GP2, and to lie 2nd in the GP2 standings when it's your fourth year of racing in single seater's. He isn't the new Ayrton, he may not even be a world champ, but very few of the drivers in F1 are good enough to be. It's right to be critical of drivers who get racing seats because of their name, but there's no need to be overly critical of a driver because of their name, which I suspect is what you're doing here! Okay maybe he will suck balls, but he's shown that he deserves the chance.

Spot on.

[quote name='Rainmaster' post='261635' date='Aug 7 2008, 07:59 AM']Largely true, but not in this case. It's takes a bit of talent to dominate wet races in British F3 and GP2, and to lie 2nd in the GP2 standings when it's your fourth year of racing in single seater's. He isn't the new Ayrton, he may not even be a world champ, but very few of the drivers in F1 are good enough to be. It's right to be critical of drivers who get racing seats because of their name, but there's no need to be overly critical of a driver because of their name, which I suspect is what you're doing here! Okay maybe he will suck balls, but he's shown that he deserves the chance.[/quote]

Amen. Great post.

Us Australians find it hard to judge up and coming talent because we don't get to see GP2, but given the champions GP2 have produced since it's creation is quite impressive, so if Bruno can run second or even win the championship then that's proof enough for me that he is deserving of a drive / test in the main game.

Poor old Giorgio Pantano no one is talking about him.

One of the problems with Bruno is the fact that he abandoned motor racing for 10 years due to the shock of his uncle's death, so he lost an incredibly large amount of time to grow as a driver. Fortunately he has shown that he's not just a name and a helmet. His victories at Monaco and Silverstone were impressive, especially the latter, in the wet. It's obvious that he is talented.

As Senna fanatic, it's impossible for me not to get excited about him. I just can't wait to see that name on the grid and that legendary helmet on top of a F1 car again. I don't care which team he goes to, I don't care if he sucks balls either. To me it's the same if he just sucks or if he becomes a decent driver, which is what will probably happen. The pressure he has on his shoulders is to be nearly as good as his uncle. It's what everyone expects, It's what most people, including me, will accept as 100% successful to someone with such a heavy name. He can't run away from it.

It's somewhat hard for me to put my thoughts about this into words, I don't know for sure what to really expect. I'm still not even used to seeing the name Senna alive and running, even on GP2. Sometimes even that looks surreal.

Amen. Great post.

Us Australians find it hard to judge up and coming talent because we don't get to see GP2, but given the champions GP2 have produced since it's creation is quite impressive, so if Bruno can run second or even win the championship then that's proof enough for me that he is deserving of a drive / test in the main game.

Poor old Giorgio Pantano no one is talking about him.

:lol: So true! Although Pantano is one of those 'solid but unspectacular' drivers, perhaps like a Trulli if you will (only not as quick) so it's no doubt he doesn't get much of the spotlight.

One of the problems with Bruno is the fact that he abandoned motor racing for 10 years due to the shock of his uncle's death, so he lost an incredibly large amount of time to grow as a driver. Fortunately he has shown that he's not just a name and a helmet. His victories at Monaco and Silverstone were impressive, especially the latter, in the wet. It's obvious that he is talented.

As Senna fanatic, it's impossible for me not to get excited about him. I just can't wait to see that name on the grid and that legendary helmet on top of a F1 car again. I don't care which team he goes to, I don't care if he sucks balls either. To me it's the same if he just sucks or if he becomes a decent driver, which is what will probably happen. The pressure he has on his shoulders is to be nearly as good as his uncle. It's what everyone expects, It's what most people, including me, will accept as 100% successful to someone with such a heavy name. He can't run away from it.

It's somewhat hard for me to put my thoughts about this into words, I don't know for sure what to really expect. I'm still not even used to seeing the name Senna alive and running, even on GP2. Sometimes even that looks surreal.

Good post, agree with all of that. It will be great to have him on the grid, a little bit of magic.

Thats harsh, drib.

But you did forget Rosberg. :P

I had enough with Piquet. Really.

Next brazilian driver should have a different name so I cannot expect much from him. Worked with Felipe... :)

We are all expecting Enrique Bernoldi's son to join F1 any day now.

One day Alonso's son will join F1. Why not?

:P

I can very much see it happening.

Regardless of whether he ends up GP2 champion or not, the leading lights of the series usually get a shot of F1 and STR is one of the teams more likely to give them that chance than others.

My outburst is tainted unfairly by jealousy. My grievance is the fact that these boys have a bloodline that gives them opportunities to the detriment of natural talent. My point being that any one of us could learn to be quick if we were given time and had money to allow us to go racing.

Makes me wonder who is out there who really is better than Ayrton but will/has never been given the opportunity.....

My outburst is tainted unfairly by jealousy. My grievance is the fact that these boys have a bloodline that gives them opportunities to the detriment of natural talent. My point being that any one of us could learn to be quick if we were given time and had money to allow us to go racing.

Makes me wonder who is out there who really is better than Ayrton but will/has never been given the opportunity.....

Indeed. I've often thought the same, Heinz Hopflinger.

All shepherds should be given a go. They are naturally fast at chasing sheep.