Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

aussief1

Beijing Olympics 2008

Funny thing happened at a job site , a friend whom I've known for a long time and had helped when he was an apprentice when he first started in the trade , anyway the gang he was in won a team award for "safety" and the contractor set up a group photo , so he thought it would make for a funny picture if he pulled down his zipper in his over alls and stuck his thumb out the opening , now when the woman who took the pic developed the pic she saw what he had done , needless to say he was fired for sexual harassment .

:lol: I don't see how that is connected to the thread, but it made me laugh! Ridiculous rules they have these days.

I follow football,basket,tennis and if I could,ping pong,but I don't think they broadcast it on public TV

As long as your a## is not just those 20 m further... :lol:

:lolroll:

Ok. I thought the Olympics were all about amateur status people kinda thing. Please note: I'm not the cleverest of people nor do I proclaim to be. So how the hell can professionals such as Federer and Nadal play in the olympics?

Do they just not get paid for it or something?

Ok. I thought the Olympics were all about amateur status people kinda thing. Please note: I'm not the cleverest of people nor do I proclaim to be. So how the hell can professionals such as Federer and Nadal play in the olympics?

Do they just not get paid for it or something?

You are correct - they don't get paid...directly. They aren't supposed to wear sponsors etc, but obv. if they get gold the sponsor will chuff for some cash.

At Athens in the mens road cycling race, the three podium guys were all from Team Telekom professional race team - they raced as their pro team, rather than as individuals from a country, guess because they would have a nice lil bonus waiting for them....

Excuse my ignorance but.......Is football an Olympic sport? And if so, presumably the professionals can't partake in it. So what would the standard be?

Yes soccer is an olympic sport. Apparently supposed to be U23 players, but pro's can play if the club releases them. There was some legal action over some clubs saying FIFA can't poach their players for national duties at the Olympics, and a court upheld that a day before the comp started...but what are they going to do when people like that Ronald McDonald fellow is already there to play for Brazil.

And no, you're not excused for your ignorance Murray....you're like the most ignorant-ignoramous-ignoratai around these parts.... :P:P :P :P

:lol: Thanks! Sounds like a right fudge to me. Perhaps the Olympic committee need to rethink their commitment to amateur sport when more and more of the best sportsmen are professionally employed.

I think the pro/amateur thing was blurred many moons ago. The US has had pro basketballers since....Atlanta? I dunno - seems like a long time ago anyways because Michael Jordan was in the team.

Pro cyclists have been at the games for a long time too, but mainly on the road, and not on track, but there have been pro's in mountainbiking since its introduction at Atlanta. And BMX, which is new this year, contains pro's. So too triathlon since SYdney in 2000...and all the athletes running in circles (the big names anyways) are pro's that run/race/jump on the pro athletics circuit.

So really, the Olympics is now the best in the world....not the best of the unpaid.

And rugby is pushing to become an Olympic sport, and that will be filled with professionals.