Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Prodigy

F1 Careers

Hi Prodigy!

I've never worked for an F1 team, so I'm far from expert. An acquaintance of mine got a job planning strategy at McLaren (computer modelling etc) and he did have a doctorate in a related area. But clearly that's not required for most jobs in F1. It all depends exactly what you want to do. There was an interesting poster called Mike Meechan who actually runs a master's course at Oxford Brookes for aspiring F1 engineers. You might like to email him, or at least read his posts here and here. Personally I would imagine that a phd will make you more attractive, and give you more varied opportunities, but in my controversial opinion the standard of engineering in F1 isn't as high as people make out, so a master's from a good uni will probably be fine.

All the best.

I would look at emailing a few of the F1 teams, to see if they do any apprenticeships, etc. Or even work at an F1 team mopping their floors or whatever while you study for your qualifications. Once your foot is in the door, the opportunities will present themselves. If you're borderline crazy as you say you are, you'll know in your heart when the right time to push is.

Move to Northants or Oxfordshire. Bang on doors and don't stop banging until one opens. My apprentice left me to work for Force India. He has no qualifications but is a grafter and has the right attitude. He works in composites.

:lol: Wow! Did you write references for him, to be read by the F1 teams? I wonder if the Dribbler's notes were chewed over by big Ron et al. Obviously they would do well to read my posts here as well...

:lol: Wow! Did you write references for him, to be read by the F1 teams? I wonder if the Dribbler's notes were chewed over by big Ron et al. Obviously they would do well to read my posts here as well...

Ron must have read my scribblings, yes. That's why the poor lad ended up at F.I. :lol:

Ron must have read my scribblings, yes. That's why the poor lad ended up at F.I. :lol:

:lol: But still, the start of a glorious career no doubt.

Move to Northants or Oxfordshire. Bang on doors and don't stop banging until one opens. My apprentice left me to work for Force India. He has no qualifications but is a grafter and has the right attitude. He works in composites.

YA know its good to read that the "apprentice" is still in used on the other side of the pond , here in the States its not like it used to be ,of course we aren't as "blue collar" as we used to be , I myself served and apprenticeship to become a Boilermaker , 4 good yrs working with some very knowledgeable guys and learning a trade , with that said , how much welding do they us in F1 cars these days , I have training in lots of welding methods , tho it sounds of bragging am a dman good stick welder , as evidence having passed my most recent Xray test , 14 skins were used to Xray the vessel I had worked on and was told that it was the cleanest Xray all the inspectors had seen in a very long time , of course would they even want a 52 yr old guy on their team and American to boot , tho being of English decent .

Anyway back to the OP , do what this Dribbler guy said bang on doors and look for any schools near by that work with the different shops but , the biggest is get known , make sure people know who you are and that will open many more doors than a sheep skin .

Sleep with the right people. If you get good at it, Max might pay you $2500/hour.

Now, in all seriousness, go to school. Graduate from school. Decide if you still want to do it. If you do, go get experience. Send it around to all the F1 teams you can. Get your name out there. If F1 says no, try another series and don't give up on your dream. Getting experience working with sports cars, lower-level single seaters, etc will only help you achieve your dream. There's no shame in working for a company like Dallara or Lola who supply cars. No matter what it is, experience is good.

The only advice I can offer you is to follow the advice in this thread :)

To follow... Or not to follow?

That's the question.

:eusa_think:

To follow... Or not to follow?

That's the question.

:eusa_think:

Be a leader, not a follower.

Don't listen to George, whatever you do. He rates Asmer and Senna highly and he enjoys eating at KFC. The only place he likes more is Pizza Hut. In fact, right now, George is stuffing his face with one of their famous pizzas with the crust stuffed with cheese, lard, dead kittens, and jizz. Only 13,000 Calories per slice!

Be a leader, not a follower.

Don't listen to George, whatever you do. He rates Asmer and Senna highly and he enjoys eating at KFC. The only place he likes more is Pizza Hut. In fact, right now, George is stuffing his face with one of their famous pizzas with the crust stuffed with cheese, lard, dead kittens, and jizz. Only 13,000 Calories per slice!

They have cheese in them! Never again.

They have cheese in them! Never again.

:lol: Yeah, but they're working a new deluxe edition. It has a family-size bucket of KFC in the crust, as well as chocolate sauce and three salamis/Meanionis. The project is currently under the name "Ford F-350"

Thanks for everyone's input. I guess that reinforces my thoughts on how to get started with F1. From here I'll try contacting the HR departments for the teams. Thanks again guys.

Thanks for everyone's input. I guess that reinforces my thoughts on how to get started with F1. From here I'll try contacting the HR departments for the teams. Thanks again guys.

As long as you have a degree in engineering you'll be fine Mr. Prodigy!

And a little bit of luck. Keep trying.

Gah, Prodigy, don't listen to him. The degree is important just to say you have one, but it's hard work, determination, and hands-on experience that will set you apart. Everyone who applies for the job has a degree; you need something about you that makes you stand out. Focus on the experience and don't ever let anyone crush your dream. Impress the right people and never burn bridges. If all your bosses give you good reviews, you'll climb the ladder in no time. Always good to have support of people who matter. Best of luck!

So your agreeing with me & trying not to listen to me???

:lol: No. I'm just saying the degree isn't the most important part.

:lol: No. I'm just saying the degree isn't the most important part.

You're right cos the most important thing is how you do the job & how you get it finished!