Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DriftingGuy

Is It Me, Or Is This Forum Missing Something These Days?

For the last little while, this forum seems to have lost steam. Maybe it's because of the summer holidays. There is nothing interesting being discussed. Not even Adrian Sutil's supposed gayness made any mention here. Not even Lewis Hamilton being Sutil's best friend in the paddock making any mention either. What's going on in this forum? And what of Flavio Briatore getting heckled on a beach in Sardinia? Is everyone on holiday?

For the last little while, this forum seems to have lost steam. Maybe it's because of the summer holidays. There is nothing interesting being discussed. Not even Adrian Sutil's supposed gayness made any mention here. Not even Lewis Hamilton being Sutil's best friend in the paddock making any mention either. What's going on in this forum? And what of Flavio Briatore getting heckled on a beach in Sardinia? Is everyone on holiday?

yes, it's been like this for months, i mean, somtimes there's no postings for like...2 hours...

Yes, even the F1 guys are more concerned about which spot to choose on a beach or what the best sunscreen is and how much spf it should have! Also there is the restaurant, cafe, night club issues that keep them and us busy :lol: !

We 'll all get grease on our hands sooner or later!

There is nothing interesting being discussed. Not even Adrian Sutil's supposed gayness made any mention here. Not even Lewis Hamilton being Sutil's best friend in the paddock making any mention either. What's going on in this forum? And what of Flavio Briatore getting heckled on a beach in Sardinia? Is everyone on holiday?

These are the reasons why a lot of good posters have left...the forum is very petty and trivia orientated. Certain drivers have attracted a number of strange characters to F1 that attack people and drone on and on in the face of overwhelming contrary evidence. When, for example, did Puma last post? Even Abbas doesn't post as much as before...Cav? Ecap?

I still post on here, but there are other sites that are less confrontational and signicantly more knowledgeable.

These are the reasons why a lot of good posters have left...the forum is very petty and trivia orientated. Certain drivers have attracted a number of strange characters to F1 that attack people and drone on and on in the face of overwhelming contrary evidence. When, for example, did Puma last post? Even Abbas doesn't post as much as before...Cav? Ecap?

I still post on here, but there are other sites that are less confrontational and signicantly more knowledgeable.

De te fabula narratur.

De te fabula narratur.

True, true.

Mike said he'd leave for a while, so it's no wonder... it's also true that we all know the reason but that's how things are right now.

I like this forum, and I remember when I joined it I thought that all of you guys were really knowledgeable (compared to me everyone is, but anyways...), now I might know your opinions more or less, but the forum is still a lot of fun. This is just due to summer break, we only have to endure for one more week!

It's definitely lost some steam. I don't have the urge to post much anymore. I believe its because there aren't any wild claims or controversial moments to talk about.

Well, I'm new here, even though I am 62 years old and I don't care if Sutil is Gay or even Lewis for that matter. If Flav got heckled on a beach - so what? I post here because I thought the content and comment was measured and balanced. I worked in the F1 circus for a good while and still keep my ear to the ground. I'm retired now. I got fed up posting in places where people clearly just made things up. I'll tell you something - Kimi's current denial of impending retirement is as interesting as Honda's silence. Even Alonso has kept his gob shut for at least a week. Also, haven't read an official comment on DC's refueling ban thingy. Strange - you think? Seem Jens got the wind up about the wind around the harbour in Valencia and jumped in the simulator. I have some advice for him. After reading his quote on the ITV-F1 site that went something like: 'My first impressions of Valencia is that it's a circuit we haven't raced before and it has barriers all round it," I humbly suggest he gets his f***ing mind in the right place sharpish or Alonso will be licking him like a lolly when the latter arrives at Honda, which he almost certainly will given the way the stars are currently positioning themselves in the heavens - Nay?

In life there are the good and the bad times. We can't go happy go sailing thru life because that indeed will build no character, we got to have problems to learn what we're made of. We got to have some idiots, yes I do admit, that fcuks up everything, that are unreasonable in any debate, because it will make us realise the importance of the wonderful members we already have....for instance a guy like Dribs, whose every post seems to be magic, well, at least to me, even if he makes a joke. Staying away just does'nt prove anything, it's up to us to make it work....thru good and bad times... all it needs is a little patience and care. We're adults, we're suppose to take attacks and criticism.

In life there are the good and the bad times. We can't go happy go sailing thru life because that indeed will build no character, we got to have problems to learn what we're made of. We got to have some idiots, yes I do admit, that fcuks up everything, that are unreasonable in any debate, because it will make us realise the importance of the wonderful members we already have....for instance a guy like Dribs, whose every post seems to be magic, well, at least to me, even if he makes a joke. Staying away just does'nt prove anything, it's up to us to make it work....thru good and bad times... all it needs is a little patience and care. We're adults, we're suppose to take attacks and criticism.

Hey hey, its holiday time, don't worry, let the races start. There is nothing much to be discused for the past few days even though so many things seems to be happening. How can I leave the forum which whished me on my birthday when most people forgot it was my bday? :D

Is everyone on holiday?

I'd imagine that's part of it, yeah. Plus F1 is on holiday too. Glad to see you still starting threads though!

yes, it's been like this for months, i mean, somtimes there's no postings for like...2 hours...

:lol: Indeed, Brad. Also msn is good - that way you can sort the grain from the chaff. Wait, how come you never added me? :unsure:

It's definitely lost some steam. I don't have the urge to post much anymore. I believe its because there aren't any wild claims or controversial moments to talk about.

Yes, I think we lost a lot when Senna and Dan left. They always stirred up debate.

Hmm. Stirring up debate. That has a synthetic sort of feel to it, almost like it's the goal rather than the result of opinions honestly expressed, but whatever....

My lack of interest in F1 is due mainly to the FIA and race stewards trying to push themselves into the spectacle at every opportunity. They make convoluted rules to increase the chance of a driver or team infraction so they can, yet again, insert themselves into the forefront of the racing weekend. They're money-grabbing, headline-stealing legislators that detract from the pure spectacle of cars driven hard in the heat of battle.

That being said, it's been hard to ignore the mastery my boy Lewis has been showing. He is, to me, pure magic out there and is a genuine pleasure to watch. Contrast that to DC who has been nothing short of a train-wreck all season (farewell, you scoundrel Scot!). I've been watching, but I haven't had the energy to toss my opinions at this board lately. That could be changing, however!

Take care and I'll probably type at you all in a short while.

Hmm. Stirring up debate. That has a synthetic sort of feel to it, almost like it's the goal rather than the result of opinions honestly expressed, but whatever....

My lack of interest in F1 is due mainly to the FIA and race stewards trying to push themselves into the spectacle at every opportunity. They make convoluted rules to increase the chance of a driver or team infraction so they can, yet again, insert themselves into the forefront of the racing weekend. They're money-grabbing, headline-stealing legislators that detract from the pure spectacle of cars driven hard in the heat of battle.

That being said, it's been hard to ignore the mastery my boy Lewis has been showing. He is, to me, pure magic out there and is a genuine pleasure to watch. Contrast that to DC who has been nothing short of a train-wreck all season (farewell, you scoundrel Scot!). I've been watching, but I haven't had the energy to toss my opinions at this board lately. That could be changing, however!

Aww quit bitching about the FIA and race stewards, just grab a chair and enjoy our endless, pointless chatter!

Welcome back, Mike ;)

Indeed loud one :lol:

Anyway I've found that I've lost the motivation to post ever since Eric came back.

What???? ERIC came back?????????

Oh, well, we all knew he was probably gay, like Hamilton (not that there is ANYTHING wrong with it).

Seriously, other than the same old rumor that Alonso and Kubica will be with Ferrari in 2010, absolutely NOTHING is going on. I didn't even had ONE argument with Prisc... err, Katy since May, so yes, it's hazy lazy days of summer break...

your very right. The races have been a big bore and the fact that the FIA is micromanaging every aspect nowadays isn't helping. races really are just glorified test sessions lately. You know exactly what will happen ever weekend just depending on the ambient temp. If its in the low 20's to high 10's then its red all over. If its higher then 25ish then its silver and if it rains everybody looks like a total idiot.

the only real reason to watch anymore is still being able to see that graphic show revs at 19k a hearing that scream of the engine. The thing I find funniest is speed's coverage of F1 this season. Varsha and the guys know nothing will happen and it just turns into two hours of Hobbs telling completely incoherent stories of his F5000 days and Matchett being the kid in the candy store when anything technical comes up. The three of them could just open up a comedy stage show.

your very right. The races have been a big bore and the fact that the FIA is micromanaging every aspect nowadays isn't helping.

Yep. Lack of activity on here is directly related to the interestingness (if there is such a word) of F1 and quality of the season (plus time of the year). And it is dull in F1 currently. Lacklustre performances from all of the top drivers and several boring tracks. What we need is a wet track every race now until the end :)

This time last year we were into the Spygate business and that kept things busy :)

A lot of people, like me are lurking and making an occasional post, but to be honest there's not much to write about currently and I think if you look at other fora its just full of fanboy vs fanboy arguments. Personally I'd rather have less postings and better quality than more fanboy rants.

When he of big chin and dodgy fashion sense was working the wheel, i felt every sinew in my body quiver. That most certainly stirred my cumbersome typing fingers into life. Firstly to praise the man at work and secondly to thrust a convincing rebuttal to all those who opposed his ways.

Yes, those ways were questionable at times. His 'win at all costs' attitude led his hands and feet to get the better of a measured response. That, dear friends, will always provoke reaction.

Contrast those times to now. I have said before and i'll say it again, (because no one can stop me, and i'm typing afterall, not speaking, your ears are mine, you cannot interrupt) I'm finding it frustratingly difficult to pigeon hole the form of the current crop. Control freaks such as myself have a need to be able to typically think the following;

Kimi, best driver, best car - title 2 guaranteed. Lewis, gifted and solid - title 1 very close. Massa, erratic and Kimi's bitch - may luck a title if someone breaks Kimi's leg.............and so on.

And yet, it hasn't gone anything like that. Some may find those upsets in form to be exciting. Indeed, given the mouth watering prospect of such ebbing and flowing, pre-season, versus a predictable one horse race, would have always have been the preferred choice, even to me (devotee of the conquering, yawn inducing, run-and-hide red baron).

But i want a villain. A talented villain though. One who will bang in the drive, weekend in and out. One you can count on. One you know who can make the difference. Most importantly though, one they are all chasing and all aspiring to. That creates the show and it gives the sport a more defined purpose.

It feels more and more like they are just driving around without purpose. World Champion of what? Best of who? Compared to who?

No one is aspiring to anyone.

I'm not inspired.

I'm tired.

And i don't have restless fingers. I have a clicky mouse that scans the forum, up and down, chuckles at the good ones and humphs at the children. I pop in, i pop out.

Give me a hero and mix it with prickly debate and i'm yours.

just grab a chair and enjoy our endless, pointless chatter!

Yeah I only ever came here for the chatter! F1 is, was and always will be a sport on the dull side of boring. Personally I've found this season and the last one to be the most exciting for some time. And it's not just because the British guy is doing well: they've been close and unpredictable, with plenty of intrigue.

Welcome back, Mike ;)

Yep!

In 1982 there where 11 winners from 6 teams, for most of the season there were 6 drivers in contention for the WDC.

Then FIA banned the ground effects and took anti-cheat measures witch eliminated the hopes of everyone who didn't have a turbo car. It went down the drain since back then.

I think it's got more to do with increasing budgets tbh, but that's besides the point. :lol: The sport hasn't suddenly changed in the last year or two anyway.

>

^ Budget increases came due to the ban as it was now much harder to achieve downforce.

Also to keep costs in control and level the field teams would break into each others shops and copy/steal each others design; besides the Stephey type of espionage. The late 70s and 1980s were full of such stories/incidents/rumors.

That was a good way to keep costs down as it completely eliminates much of the R&D costs.

Yeah I only ever came here for the chatter! F1 is, was and always will be a sport on the dull side of boring. Personally I've found this season and the last one to be the most exciting for some time. And it's not just because the British guy is doing well: they've been close and unpredictable, with plenty of intrigue.

Whaddaya mean "was" ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? There was a time that F1 was great, and never dull - they were the 60's 70's 80's an 90's....it's only really turned sour since our man Mike ran off with the show for so long. And I disagree with DOF - get over the ground effects banning already!!!!! You're as stuck on your record as Maureen is on Lewis....sheesh and double-sheesh.

Fact is F1 is boring boring boring at the moment. I'd agree that races are nothing more than glorified test sessions, mixed with the occassional glimpse of what it could be with Lewis passing the occassional car without the aid of a blue flag.

But it's more than just the racing that has made F1 stale. It has to be said that the presentation of the show by FIA / ITV is woefully stuck back in the 1970's when it comes to graphics. Compare, if you will, IRL pit stops to F1....in F1 we see one car on screen, even though both, say, Kimi and Lewis are taking to the pits at the same time...over in IRL we get a multi-split screen...three cars on the left, with times on all, plus a long shot of the entire pit lane to the left...whoa - hold up...a crummy series, strapped for cash, can afford FOUR camera's to F1's single camera?????!!!!!

And James Allen is the pits....and paired with Damon Hill...gawd....where's the damn mute button.

IRL puts on a better show for the audience...so what if they have full course yellows and the field gets compressed every 30 laps on an oval....same stuff happens in F1, except they can't work out how to open the pit lane!! I thought F1 was run by some of the smartest people on the planet.

In the late 80's and early 90's, Ecclestone feared CART. It had better TV audiences, faster cars, more fans at the track. With the amalgamation of IRL/Champcar, and given the new cars in 2010, then the new IRL could and should challenge F1 for top open-wheel series, solely on closer racing and better TV coverage (in-car, in-pits, off-track, driver access, commentary).

And because F1 has become such a bore....because no one passes (much)....because the unpredictability is over after the fourth corner, and if not by then, definately by the first pitstop, then there really is nothing to talk about. You can't even name a driver of the day..."oh yeah, like um, Kubica was best today because he got fastest lap whilst not overtaking anyone"...or...."no way, dude, Lewis was so by far the best - he like totally spun his wheels leaving the pits...it was like awesome and stuff"...

And this is where Ecclestone et al have got it so wrong...who gives a rats abouts KERS? Will it make the show any better? Doubtful. Motorsport by virtue of the sport is for the wealthy, and it sure as hell is not concerned about how much fuel is used, so why try and pretend that it does. How much pollution / carbon footprint is there from all those tyres? Possibly more waste comes from using seven or eight sets of tyres a race weekend than actually expending the petrol to make them rotate....want to be greener, how about using some tyres that last, oh, 70 laps!!

The show is what matters - it is entertainment that matters. As much as I find Aussie V8's boring from time to time, I sure do like watching them nurf each other off the track. Plus the drivers talk like real blokes, and call spades, spades. And along with IRL, they broadcast live team radio transmissions...none of this six lap delay crapola - the moment is gone, not to mention having been talked over by blabbermouth himself, James Allen.

So all this adds up to is a lack of driver personality, because of sweet f all access to them, so nothing really for us to talk about over, the races are dire bores, so again nothing much to talk about, and Max has gotten off his little jaunt with the hookers unscathed, so again nothing to talk about. Even the motorsport magazines have very little to talk about, so why should we?

***retreats back to his corner and watches the rest of the posters post whilst sipping on his juice box***

>

^ Budget increases came due to the ban as it was now much harder to achieve downforce.

Also to keep costs in control and level the field teams would break into each others shops and copy/steal each others design; besides the Stephey type of espionage. The late 70s and 1980s were full of such stories/incidents/rumors.

That was a good way to keep costs down as it completely eliminates much of the R&D costs.

I think the budgets increased as the sport became more popular, televised, professional and rich etc. Teams aren't going to go back to 1970s budgets now.

Whaddaya mean "was" ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? There was a time that F1 was great, and never dull - they were the 60's 70's 80's an 90's....it's only really turned sour since our man Mike ran off with the show for so long. And I disagree with DOF - get over the ground effects banning already!!!!! You're as stuck on your record as Maureen is on Lewis....sheesh and double-sheesh.

:lol: Tbh I started watching in 1994, and I find the current season and the last one as interesting as most of the seasons since 1994, if not more exciting.

I thought F1 was run by some of the smartest people on the planet.

:lol: Alas, there aren't that many smart people in F1. Max must be one of the smartest though.