Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rainmaster

A Bit Of News

FIA asked to examine Valencia bridge

By Jonathan Noble Thursday, August 21st 2008, 18:12 GMT

Formula One tyre supplier Bridgestone has asked the FIA to examine the bridge section of the new Valencia F1 track amid fears that its current configuration could lead to a spate of punctures this weekend, autosport.com has learned.

The new track around the Valencia port runs over a swing bridge - with a small gap in the asphalt where there is a metal expansion joint to prevent any damage from varying temperatures.

Although the gap itself should cause no problem for the F1 cars this weekend, there is some concern, however, with the fact that the two sections of asphalt are at varying levels.

The section on the bridge is higher than the part of the track before it - and the resultant bump, believed to be as high as 15 millimetres in parts - has led Bridgestone to ask the FIA to look into the situation.

Bridgestone is worried that the bump is big enough, especially with the potentially more susceptible super-soft tyre in use this weekend, to risk causing punctures.

Hirohide Hamashima, Bridgestone's director of motorsport tyre development, wrote an email to FIA race director Charlie Whiting on Thursday asking him to look into the matter

a pic at Valencia? Looks like they at the annual driver grid photosession???

It was a photoshoot with all the drivers, for Bridgestone's 200th race.

It was a photoshoot with all the drivers, for Bridgestone's 200th race.

And Kimi is getting in position to be rear ended by Lewis...again?

(Sorry, I'm stuck on "let's bash Lewis" mode)

Bridgestone are covering their backsides with this one. I should imagine that the brigde section will be fine as an F1 tyre is subject to various other surfaces like the 15 odd mm they talk about, take ripple strips and the edges of ripples strips and grass for instance. Best be safe and say something just in case.

And Kimi is getting in position to be rear ended by Lewis...again?

(Sorry, I'm stuck on "let's bash Lewis" mode)

:lol: Ahh that's fine, nothing wrong with a bit of Lewis bashing.

:lol: How is that bashing Lewis? Better to give than receive. It says so in the holey book.

:lol:

well thanks for posting the pic :D

No problem. Here's the full one..

(Look at Heikki's face, I think Lewis just farted)

Bridgestone are covering their backsides with this one. I should imagine that the brigde section will be fine as an F1 tyre is subject to various other surfaces like the 15 odd mm they talk about, take ripple strips and the edges of ripples strips and grass for instance. Best be safe and say something just in case.

You are right as usual Nathan..http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/69967

You can't ban Lewis from racing.

:lol:

Is Kimi saying "I fink sho we should move or Shutil's lover may hit ush, no?"