Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

5P33D3V1L

Is Vettel The Real Deal?

Is Vettel the real deal?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Is Vettel the real deal? (as in a future World Champion)

• Yes
    • No
    • Ill wait and see how he does next year.

Yet Rosberg is so highly rated by Frank Williams...

I wonder if Frank would rate him so highly if this was 1994/5 ish and his chassis was the class of the field? I rate Rosberg but one does feel that Frank and Nico kind of need each other.

I wonder if Frank would rate him so highly if this was 1994/5 ish and his chassis was the class of the field? I rate Rosberg but one does feel that Frank and Nico kind of need each other.

That's very true. But Rosberg is a good enough driver to be in F1, and Frank Williams wouldn't have fought to keep him so hard if he didn't have a little something, other than loyalty.

Exactly!

Rosberg's value is in his perceived promise. I'm not quite sure about him just yet

Yet Rosberg is so highly rated by Frank Williams...

And Frank Williams' word is gospel?

No disrespect, but Frank would rate him highly on comparison to his other driver. Nico does have a certain flash on certain days, but other than that he's nothing really special. Not enough to be a serious WDC contender, anyway.

And Frank Williams' word is gospel?

No disrespect, but Frank would rate him highly on comparison to his other driver. Nico does have a certain flash on certain days, but other than that he's nothing really special. Not enough to be a serious WDC contender, anyway.

Not gospel, but hey he must know a thing or two about racing eh? More than anyone on this forum does. Oh and then there's Ron Dennis who wanted him in a Mclaren, and everyone knows Ron's word is gospel :lol: Besides Rosberg doesn't have to be a World Champion just because his dad was, he just has to be good enough to be in F1, good enough to be in a midfield Williams, and he is. I hate how people (not you) always compare these 2nd generation racers with their dads, and come to the conclusion that if the son isn't as good as his WDC father then he isn't good enough for F1. No, you don't compare the driver with his WDC dad, you compare him against his own generation.

Forget Vettel, what we need is the next Stefan Bellof. And it ain't Lewis Hamilton.

Sure. With the current cars though, a diamond like Bellof would be dimmed whereas pebbles like Massa are polished..

Don't worry, what I'm saying makes perfect sense to me.

I answered YES

But I feel his move next year to the Parent Red Bull team will be a let down.

WHY? because the parent team are running Renault engines, STR Ferrari engines, that to me is the difference and the reason why I feel we will not see Vettel up in the front 10 placings. I wish it was not true but unfortunately I will be proven right.

Not gospel, but hey he must know a thing or two about racing eh? More than anyone on this forum does. Oh and then there's Ron Dennis who wanted him in a Mclaren, and everyone knows Ron's word is gospel :lol: Besides Rosberg doesn't have to be a World Champion just because his dad was, he just has to be good enough to be in F1, good enough to be in a midfield Williams, and he is. I hate how people (not you) always compare these 2nd generation racers with their dads, and come to the conclusion that if the son isn't as good as his WDC father then he isn't good enough for F1. No, you don't compare the driver with his WDC dad, you compare him against his own generation.

But.... of course you compare him with his father. Its a natural selection of thought. Anybody who says different is an out and out liar! The comparisons will only start to ease if and when the offspring surpasses the achievements of the parent - yet it will never fully go. I will agree with you, it is a shame. But it happens!

The point of this was gave a list of names, and included Rosberg as an exciting fresh new talent who was going to shake the world of F1 upside down. I just cant see Nico doing that. I never said anything about Nico becoming world champion. I said is he really good enough to be a serious WDC contender?

Racing drivers are supposed to settle for nothing less! .

(Frank Williams is another story and I wont bore you senseless with an hour long rant on him!!! :lol: )

But.... of course you compare him with his father. Its a natural selection of thought. Anybody who says different is an out and out liar! The comparisons will only start to ease if and when the offspring surpasses the achievements of the parent - yet it will never fully go. I will agree with you, it is a shame. But it happens!

The point of this was gave a list of names, and included Rosberg as an exciting fresh new talent who was going to shake the world of F1 upside down. I just cant see Nico doing that. I never said anything about Nico becoming world champion. I said is he really good enough to be a serious WDC contender?

Racing drivers are supposed to settle for nothing less! .

(Frank Williams is another story and I wont bore you senseless with an hour long rant on him!!! :lol: )

:lol: Well then, I think we agree. Rosberg probably won't be a WDC, he probably thinks he's good enough though.

That's very true. But Rosberg is a good enough driver to be in F1, and Frank Williams wouldn't have fought to keep him so hard if he didn't have a little something, other than loyalty.

Can't disagree, so won't.

Whilst I appreciate that Rosberg has only driven in a Williams, which probably isn't the best car in which to showcase his talents, one has to wonder how long a driver can be described as being promising for.

As he is now ending his third season in the sport, perhaps it is time that his talent began to develop further.

I answered YES

But I feel his move next year to the Parent Red Bull team will be a let down.

WHY? because the parent team are running Renault engines, STR Ferrari engines, that to me is the difference and the reason why I feel we will not see Vettel up in the front 10 placings. I wish it was not true but unfortunately I will be proven right.

I agree with you,

but aslong as he beats Webber consistantly then alot of people will take notice where ever he finishes whether it be top 10 or not. As long as he beats Webber.

As for some reason Webber is very highly rated.

I agree with you,

but aslong as he beats Webber consistantly then alot of people will take notice where ever he finishes whether it be top 10 or not. As long as he beats Webber.

As for some reason Webber is very highly rated.

:lol: You should agree with those people that rate Webber, so that if Vettel beats him he looks even better!

pebbles like Massa are polished..

He's driving better than when he was young, free and shingle.

Here's a very good observation about Vettel's potential,

I dont agree with everything he has written (ofcourse i wouldnt cos im a Vettel fan :P )

but nonetheless an interesting read.

Vettel Article Web Page

At certain moments since he burst onto the Formula 1 scene as BMW Sauber's teenaged 'boy Friday' in 2006, Sebastian Vettel has been hailed as the next big thing, even 'the next Schumacher'.

His stock ebbed a little in the early part of last year, but his eye-catching performances this season, and his impending promotion to Red Bull's senior squad, have sent it soaring again.

In his latest feature for itv.com/f1, Mark Hughes looks for the substance behind the headlines and analyses how good Vettel really is.

Sebastian Vettel: future megastar or merely a pretty good F1 driver?

At the moment, the consensus of opinion seems to be the former, with some even giving him the impossible mantle of

I always find it funny that people seam to forget Michael's story and only ever focus on the saying that someone might be "The New Michael". Th thing is nobody will ever be, just like nobody will ever be the New Senna or the New Gills or the New Prost or whomever

The thing I think people tend to forget also is that in today's F1 it is 95% car and 5 % driver, even 15 years ago when Michael first came up it was maybe 80/20 if not closer to 85/15. that gives a driver far more room to pull something out of the car. So you have to look, is Vettle 5% better then his team mates? if so then its the same as if somebody was 15% or 20% better then their team mate 15-20 years ago.

Also about the lack luster performance in lower categories. If he wants to use that as an example then he needs to remember that before F1 Michael was just kinda floundering around. EJ even says to this day the only reason he picked michael for the drive at spa was because he was the only one of the three guys he had on hand who had money. Ironic isn't, Michael was backed by Mercedes only to spend the most successful part of his career with their number one rival.

Who knows what the boy will achieve in the future, for me the true measure of a driver is how he performs in relation to his team mate and this is where I think Vettel has been very impressive. I started to take note when he joined STR last season and was immediately on the pace of Liuzzi, faster by the end of the season. This season he has blown away Bourdais, himself no slow coach. Webber will be a sterner test, which is likely to confirm or dispel claims of his future greatness