Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

5P33D3V1L

Is Vettel The Real Deal?

Is Vettel the real deal?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Is Vettel the real deal? (as in a future World Champion)

• Yes
    • No
    • Ill wait and see how he does next year.

Sutil only did it in the one race though.

Vettel does it relatively often.

Sutil has only finished 4 races till now... Agreed he crashed pretty stupidly last race but i think it's more to do with the car than his bad form....

Sutil has only finished 4 races till now... Agreed he crashed pretty stupidly last race but i think it's more to do with the car than his bad form....

I think you are right there. The car he is given to drive really does not allow for much of anything. Now he is beaten by Fisi a lot but if you think about it. Fisi is happy just to still be in F1 he has to drive for his seat every day. Sutil on the other hand I think has lost motivation because he knows he would be better then 19th or 20th, I think that really is what makes and breaks careers, loosing motivation because you know you wont get anywhere no matter how much you try.

ok, Michael showed that you can still push like hell when there is no chance of winning but that was his l;ast race and I doubt he would do that every race if he knew he would never get past 17th. Something you could see in 05 where he did look very unmotivated at the end

Sutil is no champion, no way, and Vettel would smash him. The car does suck, but Sutil still makes too many mistakes in it, he's being out driven by Fisi. Sutil is probably a fairly decent driver if you give him the car (who isn't?), I doubt he's near the top of the field though.

Sutil is no champion, no way, and Vettel would smash him. The car does suck, but Sutil still makes too many mistakes in it, he's being out driven by Fisi. Sutil is probably a fairly decent driver if you give him the car (who isn't?), I doubt he's near the top of the field though.

:thbup::thumb:

Well said!

I think you are right there. The car he is given to drive really does not allow for much of anything. Now he is beaten by Fisi a lot but if you think about it. Fisi is happy just to still be in F1 he has to drive for his seat every day. Sutil on the other hand I think has lost motivation because he knows he would be better then 19th or 20th, I think that really is what makes and breaks careers, loosing motivation because you know you wont get anywhere no matter how much you try.

ok, Michael showed that you can still push like hell when there is no chance of winning but that was his l;ast race and I doubt he would do that every race if he knew he would never get past 17th. Something you could see in 05 where he did look very unmotivated at the end

His motivation is probably lost a lot after the Monaco incident... I mean mine would go there... coming 4th in a awful car, 4 laps to go, in between 2 ferrari's and then you get taken out... All hope for luck goes down the frain at that one incident....

Before making that judgement i think we should see him in a better car... FI has stopped working on this years car from the time they got the seamless shift, while STR has most likely no future since they get customer cars....

When do STR have to make their own parts, 2009 or 2010??

I always find it funny that people seam to forget Michael's story and only ever focus on the saying that someone might be "The New Michael". Th thing is nobody will ever be, just like nobody will ever be the New Senna or the New Gills or the New Prost or whomever

The thing I think people tend to forget also is that in today's F1 it is 95% car and 5 % driver, even 15 years ago when Michael first came up it was maybe 80/20 if not closer to 85/15. that gives a driver far more room to pull something out of the car. So you have to look, is Vettle 5% better then his team mates? if so then its the same as if somebody was 15% or 20% better then their team mate 15-20 years ago.

Also about the lack luster performance in lower categories. If he wants to use that as an example then he needs to remember that before F1 Michael was just kinda floundering around. EJ even says to this day the only reason he picked michael for the drive at spa was because he was the only one of the three guys he had on hand who had money. Ironic isn't, Michael was backed by Mercedes only to spend the most successful part of his career with their number one rival.

Good post. I just think people tend to want to latch on to a comparison of someone who has been successful. Vettel will be his own man, for sure.

The only man in recent times who has emulated the success of another was Fernando with Michael. His success with Renault was scarily identical to Michael's achievements. Unfortunately he didn't 'Ferrari' at McLaren. Never mind, as you say, only one Michael.

I don't know for certain, he has shown promise, but i suspect you are bang on.

Yeah I agree with that. Sutil will soon be forgotten about if he hasn't already, if he cannot consistently beat Fisi. Fisi isn't a bad driver, but to be rated as anything half special you should really be well and truly out performing him week in week out.

His motivation is probably lost a lot after the Monaco incident... I mean mine would go there... coming 4th in a awful car, 4 laps to go, in between 2 ferrari's and then you get taken out... All hope for luck goes down the frain at that one incident....

I hope that he hasn't lost motivation because of that incident with Kimi in Monaco. His motivation should come from beating Fisi and any other guys that might find themselves at the rear of the grid. The gap now from the fastest to the slowest cars is as small as I can ever remember, so he really has a chance to race in a car that isn't 2 - 3 tenths slower per lap than his nearest competitor.

In my opinion I dont see the fascination with Sutil?

He seems reletively quick but how could you rate a driver so highly if he never brings the car home?

Plus he doesnt seem to be blowing Fisi away,

most of the time I see both of them racing Fisi is usually ahead. ;)

To me he seems like a Massa, though not as quick and crashes more often. Which to be fair...Massa crashes enough.

For him to be considered a good driver and gain a move up the grid, he needs to beat his teammate and punch above his weight.

I've seen no evidence of that and indeed don't see his F1 career extending beyond a Force India seat.

Vettle may or may not be the real deal but , why move from a team who's engine seems to be working better then the one their sister team runs .

Vettle may or may not be the real deal but , why move from a team who's engine seems to be working better then the one their sister team runs .

It has been said that next year Vettel will have a slower car and a faster team-mate.

I think they are trying to work out a deal wherby they change the engines between the teams...

I think they are trying to work out a deal wherby they change the engines between the teams...

well its what they did for this year with the Ferrari contract going from RBR to STR so RBR could have the Renault engine so I guess its not out of the question. Kinda funny how RBR gambled and lost out this season

I think that STR should get a new sponsor so that they don't look like more of a sister team to Red Bull who are currently doing worse than their sister team!

Do they not become separate constructors next year.

If so, presumably it's up to each team.

I think it's in 2010 that they need to be making their own chassis...

I think that STR should get a new sponsor so that they don't look like more of a sister team to Red Bull who are currently doing worse than their sister team!

There are rumors RBR is trying to sell it off but i think there are very few takers as even Super Aguri had to go bust and couldn't sell out...

I think it's in 2010 that they need to be making their own chassis...

Yup. It's 2010...

The e-magazine GrandPrix+ is reporting that the Formula 1 teams are studying a new proposal from the Formula One group that will allow for the continued use of customer cars in 2010 and beyond. It had been thought that the whole concept of customer chassis had been closed because of opposition to the idea, but it seems that an attempt is being made to find a new compromise to help keep Scuderia Toro Rosso alive. The team is currently the only F1 organisation to use cars built by another team, in Toro Rosso's case, the sister operation Red Bull Racing.

http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns20742.html

I think they are already in talks with Sato :lol::lol::lol:

The should have never banned customer cars in the first place or the 1 car chassis building teams.

Just look at STR now with the Newey aero and Ferrari power and Vettel driving beating the likes of Toyota and Honda for peanuts.

Customer cars have long been a part of GP racing.

Ferrari started as an Alfa customer team tuner, Williams with a Brabham chassis, Tyrrell/future BAR/now Honda F1 with Matra chassis.

The should have never banned customer cars in the first place or the 1 car chassis building teams.

Just look at STR now with the Newey aero and Ferrari power and Vettel driving beating the likes of Toyota and Honda for peanuts.

Customer cars have long been a part of GP racing.

Ferrari started as an Alfa customer team tuner, Williams with a Brabham chassis, Tyrrell/future BAR/now Honda F1 with Matra chassis.

I don't like the idea of customer cars... At that time in history it may have been needed. But now there are more than enough companies and privateers who have dough who can fund an F1 team...

I think the jury is still out on him. He's clearly not rubbish, but it's hard to compare him with the best given we have no idea how good his team mate and car are. As George says, he comes across as smart and amiable, but I wonder whether he has the killer instinct of Lewis or MS. Perhaps he'll get more confident with experience.

I think his confidence is 'okay' at the moment.

Yes. Good, young, promising... Wait.

The wait is over.

I answered YES

But I feel his move next year to the Parent Red Bull team will be a let down.

WHY? because the parent team are running Renault engines, STR Ferrari engines, that to me is the difference and the reason why I feel we will not see Vettel up in the front 10 placings. I wish it was not true but unfortunately I will be proven right.

True enough.

Vettel might just miss that sweet Ferrari engine. Yeah I think he's the real deal.

Miss it he will. Unless, as discussed, they can switch.