Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

F1 FANatic

A New Points System

Ok, this has been discussed to no end but I thought of something during the race that I think could really change the way drivers and teams go about driving in a GP

Ok, what is the problem with todays system? The answer is that it is better to take second or even third then to try and push for the win because of the points difference. Now you will think that I would say it is best to increase the points gap between the different the different positions.

Well, your wrong about what I am going to say, at least partly. Yes the points need to be reassessed. A 10,7,5,4,3,2,1 system is far better. But there is one more thing that needs to be done.

they need to add back the way it was done in the 70's, say there are 18 races a season, then only the best 14 results should count. Add that with the one free engine change per season rule if they are going to keep that idiotic two race thing around, then drivers will be far more likely to push when they are behind because they know that if the engine blows then it won't be as bad. And if they make it to the end but the engine needs to be changed then they can for free once and if they need it again then they just need to risk racing one more race with it and if they don't finish then it is not as bad as now.

Think of the strategic dimensions it would add. Say team A is leading a race but their engine is on race one of its cycle and team B is following them. But team B is on race two of its engine and team B knows they can turn up the wick on it without it going before the end of the race. Team B can pressure team A to either turn up its engine or fight with a disadvantage, but because both team know that they can still play with the results that don't get counted, both teams turn up the wick and we actually have a real race again.

and thats just one example.

What do you think

I don't mind a change in the points system but I don't like to consider only 14 races out of 18.

+ 10 points if the driver has a fit girlfriend/wife (Montoya would have done really well under that rule :D )

+ 50 points if they create a spectacular crash and no-one gets hurt; (Coulthard would clean up)

+ 10 points if they overtake (think these points are quite safe)

+ 1000 points if they catch Max doing something he shouldn't be doing

+ 500 points if they manage to do a "moon" on public TV

:D

I don't mind a change in the points system but I don't like to consider only 14 races out of 18.

Yeah exactly, 4 races that count for nowt. I think the system you propose is okay, but really that isn't the issue with F1 for me. We need to change the regs for emphasis on the driver and making overtaking a possibility.

Yeah exactly, 4 races that count for nowt. I think the system you propose is okay, but really that isn't the issue with F1 for me. We need to change the regs for emphasis on the driver and making overtaking a possibility.

That should be the aim of the new rules/restrictions/regulations/tracks/whateveres.

Indeed.

There needs to be a bigger bridge between forst and second; an incentive to push harder. Personally i would put a driver's nuts in a vice before each race and tell them that they will lose them unless they drive the nuts off their cars.

Nuts for nuts, if you please.

I'm okish with the current system to be honest.

F1 is all about consistency, which is what we now have and thus all races should be counted to determine the WDC and WCC.

but what would you say had Hamilton won last year with only two wins and Raikonen having had 9 wins.

For a while there was a real possibility that that could have happened. Do you really think that winning 2 of 18 races and coming second a whole bunch of times because you don't need to win is really what the champion should be doing?

but what would you say had Hamilton won last year with only two wins and Raikonen having had 9 wins.

For a while there was a real possibility that that could have happened. Do you really think that winning 2 of 18 races and coming second a whole bunch of times because you don't need to win is really what the champion should be doing?

I see your point but it depends on what our perception is of the driver's motivation. Lewis's first season was raw and fast. He certainly looked like he was trying to win every race, so had he been champion i wouldn't have had a problem with that. Had he been too calculating and was 'cruise and collecting', i think you would have had a point.

Knowing when you have to win and when you can settle for less is an important element of a championship.

I take the point but surely at the end of the day, the driver who ends up with the most points is the most deserving WDC and last year that driver was Kimi.

I'm also not convinced that any driver with an ounce of competitive spirit is happy to settle for second in a race, although circumstances at times may dictate that that happens.

Look lets not debate last year, Kimi came from behind and won the title, he won the most races and he was the fastest. he deserved to win the title the most and good luck to him.

anyways, I wrecon keep the points the way they are and add one for Qualifying and one for a fastest lap, then u would have 10 points for a win but if u get a pole and fastest lap then ur tally will be 12 points compared to 8, but then if a driver scored fastest lap and pole but finished second, then he will still score the same amount of points as the victor, but if they scored fastest lap and pole position but didnt finished then they still scored 2 vital points for the title, i wrecon that will work.

I take the point but surely at the end of the day, the driver who ends up with the most points is the most deserving WDC and last year that driver was Kimi.

I'm also not convinced that any driver with an ounce of competitive spirit is happy to settle for second in a race, although circumstances at times may dictate that that happens.

Indeed. Lewis may well have been champion had he pitted for tyres last year.

I don't see that coming second should potentially be able to get the same points as winning the race.

Qualifying and fast laps are all part of a driver's ultimate finishing position and it is on this alone that points should be awarded.