Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

spike

How About Points For Qualifying And Fastest Lap?

If this topic has been discussed before in length i apologize but isnt it about time that we take a chapter out of the american series' and make qualifying and the fastest laps in F1 count towards the championship? A single point each for P1 and fastest lap is bound to make qualifying more competitive and you will have drivers pushing really hard when on low fuel during the race to try and get fastest lap.

I don't see the point (sorry) in doing that. Why should F1 take a chapter out the American series'? People are kidding themselves if they think drivers aren't pushing in qualifying, they are. The reward for good qualifying is track position for the race start, ain't no need to bring points into it. As for a point for fastest race lap, it seems a bit silly, let GP2 do all that stuff. *Remembers how many fastest laps KR has done this season* Actually great idea, a point for fastest lap would be awesome, in fact let's have ten points for fastest lap.

I wrecon keep the points the way they are and add one for Qualifying and one for a fastest lap, then u would have 10 points for a win but if u get a pole and fastest lap then ur tally will be 12 points compared to 8, but then if a driver scored fastest lap and pole but finished second, then he will still score the same amount of points as the victor, but if they scored fastest lap and pole position but didnt finished then they still scored 2 vital points for the title, i wrecon that will work.

It will work...

There's a part of me that says that theses guys shouldn't need a points incentive to drive the wheels off of their cars. Then again, the majority of the grid look like a bunch of old gout ridden pensioners with the get up and go of a tranquilised tortoise, so yes.

There's a part of me that says that theses guys shouldn't need a points incentive to drive the wheels off of their cars. Then again, the majority of the grid look like a bunch of old gout ridden pensioners with the get up and go of a tranquilised tortoise, so yes.

You've been looking at Jenson's CV again, haven't you, under "animal that I am most likened to"

As for points....

Yes, it is a good idea, and what is so wrong about "borrowing" something from the American motorsport way? Throw into the mix and give points for most laps led, and those guys at the pointy end might actually do something called...er...damn, what was that word again...um...oh, thats right, overtake.

The current points system is based around the premise that to get just 1 point is like getting a threesome everytime you have sex - a rare thing and thus has immense value. But it actually discourages people lower than 9th to actually do anything in the race, except hope that someone up the track trips up. If points went from 1st to 20th, then every position is worth something, and thus worth overtaking the guy infront for, because the premise of all positions pay is that all the championship positions can, and often do, become very close run events.

Just look over at IRL...Scott Dixon was cake walking it this season until the last race. Helio Castreneves whom has been winless all season, versus Dixons six wins, was nearly 70points adrift of Scott in 2nd place in the standings, but after the race, having taken the win and most laps led, he wiped 35 points off the lead as Dixon had his worst race finishing 12th. The championship is very much open again....on the basis of one event, and a better points system than F1.

Oh, and they overtake each other in that inferior series too, if anyone was wondering.

I think if you do want to give extra points then only give it for Fastest lap as the guy on pole anyways has a nice advantage....

But even the point for Fastest lap will not work as then at the end of the race people will start putting fastest laps so the other guy can't compete, and thusjust for hthe last 2-3 laps you will see cars going at a fast speed for the rest they will be normal/slow...

Adding more points just gives the FIA more scope to invent new ridiculous rules to take those points away for whatever reason they think of on the day, just more controversy. The champion is a worthy champion on the system we have, it rewards each driver fairly and equally, so there's no need to add any more points or prizes to it, that would be complicating it.

Grid/track position is the reward for qualifying. Besides the team would effectively be 'giving' one of there drivers a point if they got on pole (on a light fuel strategy), and they would be denying there other driver the chance of a point by putting him on a slightly heavier strategy. That would create tension between team-mates.

Changing the points system, just like 'artificially' rubbering a track in, is close to the bottom of the list of problems with our sport.

Adding more points just gives the FIA more scope to invent new ridiculous rules to take those points away for whatever reason they think of on the day, just more controversy. The champion is a worthy champion on the system we have, it rewards each driver fairly and equally, so there's no need to add any more points or prizes to it, that would be complicating it.

Grid/track position is the reward for qualifying. Besides the team would effectively be 'giving' one of there drivers a point if they got on pole (on a light fuel strategy), and they would be denying there other driver the chance of a point by putting him on a slightly heavier strategy. That would create tension between team-mates.

Changing the points system, just like 'artificially' rubbering a track in, is close to the bottom of the list of problems with our sport.

But what about just a point for Fastest Lap???

But what about just a point for Fastest Lap???

Again I just don't see the benefit, why bother with it, the only cars who are going to set fastest lap are the cars at the front. It just complicates things even further. The reward for having a fast car, a car capable of setting fastest lap, should be that the car finishes in a high position in the race, and gets points for doing that.

Sorry I really don't see any benefit for adding a point for fastest lap.

There is something to be said for giving points in qualifying, say half. This way you can then reverse the grid. The ovetaking lovers should be happy with this one.

Fastest lap? Not really an angle here.

I would remove the 2-race engine thingy and make the CWC a function of how few engines a team uses. That should be enough incentive to make the busters reliable.

Alternatively, it would be nice for the FIA to upgrade their live timing, IT SIMPLY SUCKS. Just take a look at MotoGP's live timing once and you will know what I'm talking about.

I don't see that coming second should potentially be able to get the same points as winning the race.

Qualifying and fast laps are all part of a driver's ultimate finishing position and it is on this alone that points should be awarded.

You got a point.

I think it was Thiessen (I could be wrong) who suggested to do away with quali all together and simply place drivers on the grid in reverse order according to their DWC points.

Half point for fastest lap. Half point for qualifying. And bring back the one hour session. Yeah, ok - it might be boring for the first 20 minutes. But no more boring than it already is. I want to see fastest laps after fastest laps being set again. I want to see drivers bin the car in qualifying and run to get the T-car and whack it on pole.

Too much to ask though.

I would remove the 2-race engine thingy and make the CWC a function of how few engines a team uses. That should be enough incentive to make the busters reliable.

Ooops... It brought an image of Briatore trying to convince Alonso how one engine could last for a whole season without loosing performance. :lol:

Why not adopt the NASCAR points system which by all accounts is more cornfusing then and F1 pit stop , well at least its cornfusing to nascar fans , so many people over the wall how in the hell do they jack the car why is there 3 guys to a tyre , and that fuel hose , anyway you get the idea but , beyond most winners starting from pole what more incentive do the others have , and having the fastest lap added nothing to the overall race but add a point or two .

I was joking about the nascar points system , having been a fan of that car racing I never really understood how they scored points but , a point for getting P1 and fastest lap sound like a good idea .

I use "Been" a fan of nascar , up until the mid 90's , its gone in a direction I don' like and the car of tomorrow is something F1 should stay very far from .