Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ecapdeville

Williams Jerez Test Notes (testing Interim 2009 Car)

Circuit: Jerez de la Frontera, Spain.4.428km

Weather: Sunny. Ambient temperature: 23C

Sam Michael, Technical Director, Williams F1:

"Kazuki joined the test team in Jerez today and took to the track in the FW30B interim car to continue work on the KERS and also various new components for 2009. Kazuki will return tomorrow for day three of the test."

f1-2008-tes-xp-5224.jpg

f1-2008-tes-xp-5227.jpg

f1-2008-tes-xp-5251.jpg

its me or the car looks awful?

Check out the rear difuser??

How about the precautions the Williams mechanic's are taking, with using the insulated gloves!!!

post-1058-1221716005_thumb.jpg

post-1058-1221716061_thumb.jpg

from http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns17890.html

"There are also significant changes in the size of the cars with the maximum width increasing from 1800mm to 2000mm and the minimum width being no less than 1980mm, which more or less standardises the cars. Wheels will increase from a maximum of 355mm at the front to 365mm and at the rear from 380mm to 460mm, putting more rubber on the road.

There are changes to the bodywork rules with an increase in the allowed width between the wheels. It is significant that the maximum bodywork behind the rear wheels is being increased to 2000mm up from the current 1000mm. This will mean that there is more scope for creating downforce and ground effect. There are complicated new rules about the way in which rear wings can operate with new measuring techniques and insistence on rigid supports. The weight remains much the same, moving from 600kg to 605kg. The KERS devices are the only place where enregy can be stored and these must never have more than 60kW and energy released must not exceed 400kJ in the course of one lap."

I have not found any changes concerning the rear wing, apart from that it can be longer, maybe it's an all an optical effect due to greater width and wider tyres.

All this effort to close the gap between the front runners and back markers , seems like more a waste of time then opening the rules so other manufacture's will start team or help teams with engines or aero work .

I too am a fan of the Independent teams but , through rules and cost cutting they are making it harder and harder for them to survive .

from http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns17890.html

"There are also significant changes in the size of the cars with the maximum width increasing from 1800mm to 2000mm and the minimum width being no less than 1980mm, which more or less standardises the cars. Wheels will increase from a maximum of 355mm at the front to 365mm and at the rear from 380mm to 460mm, putting more rubber on the road.

There are changes to the bodywork rules with an increase in the allowed width between the wheels. It is significant that the maximum bodywork behind the rear wheels is being increased to 2000mm up from the current 1000mm. This will mean that there is more scope for creating downforce and ground effect. There are complicated new rules about the way in which rear wings can operate with new measuring techniques and insistence on rigid supports. The weight remains much the same, moving from 600kg to 605kg. The KERS devices are the only place where enregy can be stored and these must never have more than 60kW and energy released must not exceed 400kJ in the course of one lap."

I have not found any changes concerning the rear wing, apart from that it can be longer, maybe it's an all an optical effect due to greater width and wider tyres.

Not anymore. The track/width will remain the same and no more cool wide slicks.

With only half the measures in place it's likely the end result will be a butt ugly car with little or no real improvement in aero sensitivity.

As the width won't be increased as initially planned, it's good bye greater ground-effect = bye bye more passes.

The beauty of those cars came from the widetrack (max 2150 mm vs. 1800 today), lower sidepods, slicks, and slick monocoque.

My favorite is the Williams FW14B.

5194.jpg

chn11_rpt1630_03.jpg

When F1 was truly the pinnacle, active ride racing, it what it's all about.

Damn...how I miss "that" Formula 1...

remember clearly those years...1991, 1992...

and that great Williams-Renault car... the best engine of the time, even mclaren wanted it...just happened that renault didnt like the "shell" oil company...they had to use Ford engines later.

The beauty of those cars came from the widetrack (max 2150 mm vs. 1800 today), lower sidepods, slicks, and slick monocoque.

My favorite is the Williams FW14B.

When F1 was truly the pinnacle, active ride racing, it what it's all about.

the BT52 and the 312b were both way Sexier cars then the FW14B

they looks fast just sitting around

BT52(1).jpg

BT52(1).jpg

Ahhh... Piquet driving that BMW Arrow!

Where did the real Formula 1 go????? <_<

BT52(1).jpg

The BT52 was a beauty, but actually slower (as all 83 F1s) vs. the 82 BT49D and BT50 (when it didn't blew a turbo) due to the ban of ground effect witch reduced downforce to only 1/3 from previous the year.

BT52(1).jpg

Beautiful machine that. As for next years, well I'll wait 'till next year..