Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Max Mosley

Favourite Songs In Another Language

Over the last few years, I've become more interested in foreign languages and started to notice how nice they can sound. I prefer foreign language films to most Hollywood ones but it seems harder to find out about decent foreign music. It is easy to get some foreign music but I don't want to end up listening to the Japanese equivalent of the Spice Girls - especially because I'd probably enjoy it.

So far I know some nice songs in French:

and Lara Fabian each giving their own versions of the same song; and French rap is arguably the best around, with MC Solaar the most popular at home and abroad (he's disappointingly inoffensive for my tastes, but has some nice lyrics). I'm a bit more at sea in Spanish: obviously Shakira is well worth taking a look at, and
seems to be a controversial rapper. In German I only know
, and a 14 year old girl told me about it, so any male native speakers will probably laugh at it, but actually I like it.

So if you have a favourite song in your native language, I'd like to hear it! Paul and Steph: I'll accept songs in Scouse. And to return the favour,

seems to sum up the way we Brits feel about our country.

I love some german bands ^^ Specially Wir sind Helden (for being ironic and so geniously good humoured) and Sportfreunde Stiller...

Spanish I just hear Shakira a lot, since always.

Oye Como Va - Santana

Joe le Taxi - Vanessa Paradis :lol::lol:

Macarena :lol::lol:

No, but any song by Carlos Santana in a foreign language is sheer brilliant. The man is a living legend.

well for me these are my 3 favourite songs,

in 3rd place is Brett Lee or cricketing heartthrob singing with Asha something

In second place is our favourite world champion singing Accepterais tu?

for for our world champion to be beaten to number 1 this song must be good, it was so good it made Eurovision this year and placed an outstanding 16th place, yes its none outher than Rodolfo Chikilicuatre with Baila el chiki chiki.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59FqFmifE9Q...feature=related

Must see, enjoy

Bah who needs music in another language. I have Oasis, Feeder, The Verve and all the other good stuff.

Don't forget Girls Aloud off that list! :rolleyes:

And I have quite a few Russian tunes on my iTunes, as well as various spanish songs and a few greek songs. I also have a compilation CD of contemporary Arabic pop/dance music, which is very fun. I also have Suerte which is the spanish version of Whenever Wherever by Shakira which I actually prefer over the English version! She sounds a lot more bearable in Spanish!

And one for Katy.

I'll give it a try, though it's more like good because of the lyrics, not for sounding beautiful :lol:

Extremoduro - La vereda de la puerta de atr

And one for Katy.

:lol: its on of my fave youtube videos ^^ i wanna know which song is that...

it just loses to video when he points finger at sakon thinking its sato ^^

EDIT: loses also to cereal and milk scott speed video, obviously...

Over the last few years, I've become more interested in foreign languages and started to notice how nice they can sound. I prefer foreign language films to most Hollywood ones but it seems harder to find out about decent foreign music. It is easy to get some foreign music but I don't want to end up listening to the Japanese equivalent of the Spice Girls - especially because I'd probably enjoy it.

and Lara Fabian each giving their own versions of the same song; and French rap is arguably the best around, with MC Solaar the most popular at home and abroad (he's disappointingly inoffensive for my tastes, but has some nice lyrics). I'm a bit more at sea in Spanish: obviously Shakira is well worth taking a look at, and
, and a 14 year old girl told me about it, so any male native speakers will probably laugh at it, but actually I like it.

So if you have a favourite song in your native language, I'd like to hear it! Paul and Steph: I'll accept songs in Scouse. And to return the favour,

:lolroll: I'm gonna send it to Laura(She's in London)

Btw,great thread!

From Liverpool you have the best of the best, The Beatles.

My favourite Spanish group: El

here at the end of the world we are lucky spanish speaking people! So we hear our own local groups and also the mainstream rock/pop!

I use to hear music from Brasil (portuguese), Italy, UK, Spain and USA and many english speaking countries!

An advice for you commenwelth people: check out spanish, brazilian and argentine groups; some of them are very good indeed!

EDIT:

Almendra (1969) - Muchacha ojos de Papel -

Lyrics

Song: Muchacha (Ojos de papel)

Group: Almendra.

Writer/Singer: Luis Alberto Spinetta

Muchacha ojos de papel,

:eusa_think:

There is a language other than scouse??? You've gone mad, Muzza :lol:

Thanks everyone! I've listened to them all while 'working' today and really enjoyed them. Bro obviously has the best taste in music, but the others aren't bad either.

From Liverpool you have the best of the best, The Beatles.

:lol: So they say! Personally I think the Beatles are a bit over-rated. I like 'Yesterday' because we used to sing it in school.

Macarena :lol::lol:

:lol: There's a band called Rikarena from somewhere in Latin America too. They sound quite nice, but the natives will probably laugh at us.

Dragostea Din Tei by Ozone.

Cheers. A Romanian guy once told me his language was similar to Spanish but he was clearly lying...

(a more controversial song xD)

(Quite poetic I'd say)

:lol: Someone knows what I like!

here at the end of the world we are lucky spanish speaking people! So we hear our own local groups and also the mainstream rock/pop!

I use to hear music from Brasil (portuguese), Italy, UK, Spain and USA and many english speaking countries!

Yeah you're lucky in that sense. I think I prefer the Latin American accent in Spanish. You don't have those silly 'th' sounds so much? (Like in Valencia or Jerez.) Mind you, the Spanish version of ella is nicer, to my ears at least. Maybe I'm oversimplifying things, and there's no such simple dichotomy.

Hindi's almost a foreign language to me, anyway. So here it goes:

Cheers Jay. Indian music makes me dizzy! But I like the sexy dancing - strange in a way, considering how conservative you always find it there. How's your Punjabi? I like this song, which Jay-Z sampled recently.

:eusa_think:

There is a language other than scouse??? You've gone mad, Muzza :lol:

:lol: Actually I refuse to believe you speak scouse. At least you don't write it. :P

:lol: Caaaaaalm down, caaaaaalm down. *Dons yellow tracksuit and waves arms about to p-p-p-placate a Pabloh*

Look, I've had enough of this you bland nobody, you!!

post-1648-1222115171_thumb.jpg

You can quite clearly see they weren't tracksuits at all :whistling:

I love some german bands ^^ Specially Wir sind Helden (for being ironic and so geniously good humoured) and Sportfreunde Stiller...

Spanish I just hear Shakira a lot, since always.

Katy, how can you not mention Die Arzte? Ok, you need to actually understand German for any of their stuff to be funny and make sense, otherwise its just a munch of noise but still even without understanding them they are Die beste Band der Welt!

And Sportfreunde Stiller come from the same town outside of Munich that I grew up in, our one export haha

As it happens I'm very into Indonesian prog rock right now.

Unfortunately it's more weird chanting than actual words, so I don't know if I can count any of them as being in any language as such.....