Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Insider

Honda's Golden Boy Sacked!

It seems that despite Brawn's arrival and his reputed autonomous powers, Tokyo are still poking their noses in at Brackley with regard to the hiring and firing of employees - whoever they may be. At the weekend it was reported elsewhere that Honda's original 'Golden Boy', Otmar Szafnauer, their racing operation's director of strategy and business planning, has left following a "management reshuffle". According to what I read, though Szafnauer, [widely regarded as one of F1's good guys], has left the Honda F1 team, he remains with Honda Racing Development, a decision taken at the very top of Honda's chain of command. There have been a plethora of rumours, concerning heavy 'in-fighting' recently and leaks to favoured media sources similar to those witnessed in the final days of Super Aguri. So, the politics continue, the good guys head for the exit and Ross Brawn struggles to get those around him to focus on a serious improvement in 2009. Meanwhile, the Honda 'Yakuza' have remained relatively quiet, exhibiting extraordinary patience and ever deeper pockets. How much longer this can continue? Following Vettel and Toro Rosso's remarkable feat at Monza, the Honda team and it's current management have serious questions to answer. We know the RA108 is intrinsically flawed and you can't polish a turd! Furthermore, Honda state that all their massive resources are centred on the RA109 and KERS development. Fine. However, despite the commitment to 09, with the wealth of assets at hand, to be firmly rooted at the butt end of the grid, week in week out is completely unacceptable. I will be massively surprised if the RA109 is much of an improvement, to be honest. Nando has certainly backed off from his much rumoured move and it would appear that two of the very best drivers on the grid seem to be firmly entrenched in the smelly stuff for yet another season. The continued failure of this engineering innovator to produce a competitive car is, without doubt the most perplexing conundrum I have witnessed in 40 years of following this sport.

I agree kiwi, JB has done nothing in that Honda this year, he deserves something else, something better, but if Honda sacked JB i will not be surprised.

[quote name='HandyNZL' post='268232' date='Sep 22 2008, 08:43 AM']Fire that British fellow they have driving the car, too...that'll help :P :P [/quote]
The only thing wrong with JB appears to be his judgement. He is still as good a driver as any in the paddock. He should have gone when Dave Richards did and not spent 8.5M of his own cash buying himself out of the Williams contract. Would Honda fire a driver who spent that kind of dosh to stay with them? Where does the blame lie? Honda have heaped ridicule upon both JB and RB, both extremely talented racers and neither Fry nor Brawn have ever publicly recognised that fact. They should have. Nor have they ever lauded their virtues. They should have. To have made so many empty promises and given a veritable multitude of false assurances to these loyal, determined men without delivering one iota of enhanced performance is an utter disgrace. If I was JB, I would due for breach of contract. What a shocking waste of a young man's career.

Well what a lot of negativity aimed at Honda and the so called waste of Button's talent, etc. I will reserve judgement on all concerned until we see the reult of Brawn's efforts in the form of the '09 car. Even then, i think it's going to take at least four years of constant improvement before we see them near the front. Look at Ferrari when Brawn got there, and that was with some really talented people around him.

Well what a lot of negativity aimed at Honda and the so called waste of Button's talent, etc. I will reserve judgement on all concerned until we see the reult of Brawn's efforts in the form of the '09 car. Even then, i think it's going to take at least four years of constant improvement before we see them near the front. Look at Ferrari when Brawn got there, and that was with some really talented people around him.

I agree. Now no more threads about crappy Honda until they actually do something :D

Fire that British fellow they have driving the car, too...that'll help :P:P

:boxing::bangin::aikido1yw::goldeneye::fisticufs:

I cant find anymore emoticons that signify violent acts I'm afraid. My frustration at this post will have to be directed straight at you. w#nker!!! :lol::lol::P

Feel better now.

Sorry about that. I am actually a Honda fan but they appear to have lost the plot and I have finally lost my rag!

I agree. Now no more threads about crappy Honda until they actually do something :D

I'll try my hardest - honest!

Sorry about that. I am actually a Honda fan but they appear to have lost the plot and I have finally lost my rag!

I'm almost there too......

Sorry about that. I am actually a Honda & Button fan but they appear to have lost the plot and I have finally nearly lost my rag!

taking the p**s fellows....sheesh..... this :P equals taking the p**s....two :P means I'm really taking the p**s