Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

YHR

Massa Class

"It was not a technical failure, but a human one, so the same thing can happen with any system," the 27-year-old told reporters when asked if Sunday's incident might finally compel Ferrari to abandon the 'traffic lights' system.

"Of course we could return to using a lollipop, but today's problem was not about this," Massa added, explaining that because a mechanic pressed a button too soon, the green light on the driver gantry simply came on too soon.

"These things happen," he continued. "We are all human and we can all make mistakes."

Team boss Stefano Domenicali confirmed: "It was Felipe himself who went to console the mechanic who made the mistake."

This is one of the reason I am a fan of Massa. The guy is selfless. At the end of the day all that really matters is hw high you can hold your head up. Massa stands tall and proud.

"It was not a technical failure, but a human one, so the same thing can happen with any system," the 27-year-old told reporters when asked if Sunday's incident might finally compel Ferrari to abandon the 'traffic lights' system.

"Of course we could return to using a lollipop, but today's problem was not about this," Massa added, explaining that because a mechanic pressed a button too soon, the green light on the driver gantry simply came on too soon.

"These things happen," he continued. "We are all human and we can all make mistakes."

Team boss Stefano Domenicali confirmed: "It was Felipe himself who went to console the mechanic who made the mistake."

This is one of the reason I am a fan of Massa. The guy is selfless. At the end of the day all that really matters is hw high you can hold your head up. Massa stands tall and proud.

True, and whatever's said about him, his personailty is head and shoulders above some others... Seems young Skywalker Fellipe has learned much from Obi Wan Schewi ;)

I have more respect for him than before ( and I am a Massa fan)

Seems he has definately learnt from Schumi, a little something called humility......

which some others could do with.....

That was one thing I always liked about Schumi, we win as a team, fail as a team attitide...

Good on you Massa.......

Yup. And this is maybe part of the reason he's beaten Kimi. He picked up the right way to lead a team from Schumi.

Edit: I was jumping up and down when it all went pear-shaped for him today, but now I do feel sorry for the guy. Imho he doesn't have the genius of eg Hamilton, Nando or Kimi but I've always liked his attitude. Not just today, but he's always humble and willing to learn.

Edit: Hmmm the above was supposed to be an edit of the previous post. Too much wine...

I agree!Tough luck today and good for Felippe to be a good team player!

I only hope this championship proves to be even more unpredictable, meaning Hamilton crashing out the remaining races, Ferrari and Massa/Kimi winning the championships etc!!

Too much to ask??

I think for sure Felipe is a good guy but I still rate Hammy better than him in terms of racecraft, same with Alonso, Kubica and Vettel. Kimi is on a break so I won't even get started on him :lol:

I think for sure Felipe is a good guy but I still rate Hammy better than him in terms of racecraft, same with Alonso, Kubica and Vettel. Kimi is on a break so I won't even get started on him :lol:

Yes, I agree, as far as Kimi is concerned wejustneedtowaitandseenextyearandprayhewakesup!!!!

Hahah, yeah, I agree with Rainmaster as usual, but still after Hungaroring and this, and consiering that he didn't earn any points in the first 2 races, I'd say that if he won over Hamilton it would be quite deserved. Yeah, it's a weird sight, Massa as WDC, but after all that stuff he would deserve it as much as Lewis. Let's see if Kimi actually does wake up and helps -.-

One of the roles of the lollipop man is to make sure that the car can come out of the pits without hitting anyone driving through the pitlane. This light system does not allow that, and twice now Sutil has almost been hit, fuel pumps sticking or not.

If the FIA is all about safety it is time this light system was banned

Agree dat it was simply a class gesture from Massa, I cant expect this from any driver from the past or present, may be more drivers would copy this gesture as a PR act, but somehow I feel Lewis got his revenge for the penalty. :P

A very good thing done by Massa. It's almost like a copy of the Suzuka 2006, when Schumi went and hugged each crew member when his engine blew....

I think Massa deserves this WDC, just becuase he has always been driving a good race (well except Silverstone) and until strategy or reliability screws him over....

Agree dat it was simply a class gesture from Massa, I cant expect this from any driver from the past or present, may be more drivers would copy this gesture as a PR act, but somehow I feel Lewis got his revenge for the penalty. :P

Say what? You gotta learn about the old folk, mate...

One of the roles of the lollipop man is to make sure that the car can come out of the pits without hitting anyone driving through the pitlane. This light system does not allow that, and twice now Sutil has almost been hit, fuel pumps sticking or not.

If the FIA is all about safety it is time this light system was banned

agreed!

Big woop. I reckon most drivers would've done the same thing Massa did. Except maybe Kimi. Massa had plenty of time to vent his anger on the circuit.

Massa is fast if the temperature is high and he is leading. The Ferrari is the fastest car on the grid by some margin so Massa gets the job done when conditions for motor racing are ideal - Throw in any unpredictability then he and his team falter. I accept he has had some bad luck, but he has also inherited wins in France and Spa and avoided a penalty in Valencia.

That said, it was a nice gesture.

Hahah, yeah, I agree with Rainmaster as usual, but still after Hungaroring and this, and consiering that he didn't earn any points in the first 2 races, I'd say that if he won over Hamilton it would be quite deserved. Yeah, it's a weird sight, Massa as WDC, but after all that stuff he would deserve it as much as Lewis. Let's see if Kimi actually does wake up and helps -.-

Hamilton will be champ this year, and will beat Massa with inferior equipement (which has seem the precedent the last 4 races). Hamilton deserves the championship more!

no more of the crap baloney stuff with threads trying to justify Ferrari's and Massa's mistakes. At Silverstone, it was the team that decided to leave Kimi on intermediates at his first pitstop and what did Kimi say...."We win as a team and we lose as a team", just as bold as Massa's gesture....

'nuff said!!!!!

Luck:

France: inherited the victory and that made him win +2 points.

Spa: inherited the victory and that made him win +4 points.

Bad luck:

Monaco: Was supposed to be 2nd but arrived in 3rd because of a bad strategy made by Ferrari. -2 points

Germany: Didn't finish 2nd because of a brake problem that avoided him from even getting near Piquet who was in a s##tty car. It was so critical that he almost lost the 3rd position to Heidfeld. -2 points

Canada: Was refueled with no fuel and had to pit again in the next lap. Arrived in 5th position in a race where he should have been at least 3rd. -2 points

Hungary: Engine failure 3 laps to the end due to a confirmed flaw on the composition of said engine. -10 points.

Singapore: Race ruined by chief mecanic. At least -6 points (supposing he would arrive behind only Alonso and Rosberg, although I think he would be 2nd because of Rosberg's stop and go).

That's at the very least -22 points in incidents where he had absolutely no fault or responsability whatsoever. And I'm not even counting the points Hamilton inherited in some of those races due to Massa's retirement.

If you look at these facts, then look back at Hamilton's stupid mistakes this season (crashing into Alonso's rear at Bahrein, crashing into Raikkonen at the pitlane at Montreal, cutting the chicane at Spa) + the fact that his team never screwed him up, you'll see that Massa is the most consistent and most [unjustly] harmed driver of the year and that if anyone deserves this championship, it's him. Even with the spinfest at Silverstone and the spin at Malasya (where he retired only because of the gravel).

Oh, and I don't know where some people get the idea that Ferrari has the better equipment, considering that their car absolutely sucks in cold tracks and have a well-known problem to get heat in the tires.

McLaren is just as good in hot dry tracks, except that they have more reliability. No engine blows, no exhaust pipes falling off. Hamilton's performance at Hockenheim - where it looked like he would have won the race even if he went to the pits another 50 times - was what? His talent only?

If you look at these facts, then look back at Hamilton's stupid mistakes this season (crashing into Alonso's rear at Bahrein, crashing into Raikkonen at the pitlane at Montreal, cutting the chicane at Spa) + the fact that his team never screwed him up, you'll see that Massa is the most consistent and most [unjustly] harmed driver of the year and that if anyone deserves this championship, it's him. Even with the spinfest at Silverstone and the spin at Malasya (where he retired only because of the gravel).

:thbup:

Oh, and I don't know where some people get the idea that Ferrari has the better equipment, considering that their car absolutely sucks in cold tracks and have a well-known problem to get heat in the tires.

McLaren is just as good in hot dry tracks, except that they have more reliability. No engine blows, no exhaust pipes falling off. Hamilton's performance at Hockenheim - where it looked like he would have won the race even if he went to the pits another 50 times - was what? His talent only?

:thbup:

I think both Massa and Hamilton are doing a great season but Massa's been screwed up so many times because of technical/human issues that I would say he can be proud of being where he is now. He had a bad start of the season but then he's been surprisingly consistent, now I don't think he is the crappy driver I think he was. Now he is one of the best with Alonso, Kimi and Hamilton.

I had a very high respect for Kimi but it's fading away, he's had some problems/bad fortune but I cannot accept such a disappointing season from him. Hamilton could have done much better but at the end of the day F1 is a matter of winners and losers and you are worth what you got in the last race. These are good days for Alonso but how long for? He'll wake up to realise he is miles away of his target.

Luck:

France: inherited the victory and that made him win +2 points.

Spa: inherited the victory and that made him win +4 points.

Bad luck:

Monaco: Was supposed to be 2nd but arrived in 3rd because of a bad strategy made by Ferrari. -2 points

Germany: Didn't finish 2nd because of a brake problem that avoided him from even getting near Piquet who was in a s##tty car. It was so critical that he almost lost the 3rd position to Heidfeld. -2 points

Canada: Was refueled with no fuel and had to pit again in the next lap. Arrived in 5th position in a race where he should have been at least 3rd. -2 points

Hungary: Engine failure 3 laps to the end due to a confirmed flaw on the composition of said engine. -10 points.

Singapore: Race ruined by chief mecanic. At least -6 points (supposing he would arrive behind only Alonso and Rosberg, although I think he would be 2nd because of Rosberg's stop and go).

That's at the very least -22 points in incidents where he had absolutely no fault or responsability whatsoever. And I'm not even counting the points Hamilton inherited in some of those races due to Massa's retirement.

:clap3::clap3::clap3:

Without doubt Massa is a very fast F1 driver. He is exceptional when the track is hot and sunny and doesn't appear to suffer the same tyre issues as kimi given his agressive driving style. Where he is less convincing is where he is not leading from the front or if he has an on song kimi just behind him. Kimi is actually faster than Massa in the ferrari he just struggles to get his car in positions where he can exploit the car's strengths.

He had dreadful luck yesterday, but when he was tracelling at the back his limitations as a driver were very evident for most to see. It almost seems as if he can only give 100% concentration if he is leading from the front.

For me Nando, Lewis and Kimi are better allround drivers, but Massa could beat all of them in the right conditions.