Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

5P33D3V1L

Heikki Kovalainen

Heikki Kovalainen  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Is the boy doing a good job or not?

• Yes
    • No
    • He needs more time

After seeing the Signapore race, I thought to myself am I expecting too much from Heikki? I mean he has won a race this season but, everytime Mclaren need someone backing up Lewis, he never seems to be there from what Ive seen. To me the guy just doesnt seem good enough.

Mclaren need to drop him and replace him with Rosberg. The guys experienced and quick too. Also he doesnt seem like the type to start having on track disagreements with Lewis. Plus he's German too, keeps the Mercedes boys happy.

Just to think if Mclaren had a better 2nd driver, theyd be running away with the constructors championship.

I tend to agree. I had high hopes for Kovi after he redeemed himself at Renault last year following a shoddy first bunch or races. But he's been pretty average in the Macca. Rosberg is a little too close to Hamiltons level. He'd take points away from him. I think a better number two would be Heidfeld.

Needs more time at McLaren. I give anyone two years at any team to come good - if he is unable to perform better next season, i.e. consistent top-6's, then perhaps McLaren should start looking around.

He's not loud, but he works hard for the team, but he hasn't really "shone" this season. But then, neither has Kimi....

After seeing what? Most of you ppl always say that 95% of performance comes out of the car and 5% from the driver and somehow after every race you seem to forget that one.

Kovalainen's race was compromised in that stupid chicane after the start when he touched with Kubica. He got away with slightly damaged car and then during first SC period he had to wait in the pits behind Hamilton

He's lucky that the all three of the other front line drivers have made mistakes this year. I am yet to be impressed by anything he has done. Has he got it? I don't think so. Does he need more time? Well, he has more time, so let's see. Conventional wisdom says if you don't hit the ground running, it aint gonna happen. Thre are exceptions, maybe he will be one. McLaren seem to like him, he has massive support from them. If they win the constructors this year, he will be okay. If they don't, questions will have to be asked.

I tend to agree. I had high hopes for Kovi after he redeemed himself at Renault last year following a shoddy first bunch or races. But he's been pretty average in the Macca. Rosberg is a little too close to Hamiltons level. He'd take points away from him. I think a better number two would be Heidfeld.

:yes:

Maybe if Macca wouldn't always run him heavier than Lewis in the quali, he could be leading the champ.

I'd rather see him as #1 in some other team. He'll never get the best treatment as long as Lewis is there.

I don't think he's doing a good job, but then Lewis is very fast of course. It's common for drivers to struggle in their second year and Kova did well against Fisi, considering it was his first season. He'll never be more than a number 2 at McLaren, because he's not good enough for more, but he might turn out to be an average F1 driver.

After seeing the Signapore race, I thought to myself am I expecting too much from Heikki? I mean he has won a race this season but, everytime Mclaren need someone backing up Lewis, he never seems to be there from what Ive seen. To me the guy just doesnt seem good enough.

Mclaren need to drop him and replace him with Rosberg. The guys experienced and quick too. Also he doesnt seem like the type to start having on track disagreements with Lewis. Plus he's German too, keeps the Mercedes boys happy.

Just to think if Mclaren had a better 2nd driver, theyd be running away with the constructors championship.

yesterday I

Not good enough. Never was, never will be.

This from a Massa fan :P

Drivers do improve, and I reckon Kova will. I admit that I thought Heikki would trouble Lewis on a fairly regular basis, and he has, in qualifying. It's clear to me he has immense raw speed over one lap. I still think that the guy has potential after seeing him last year, I think he needs to learn how to set the Mclaren up, once he does that he will have the race pace to challenge. He seems to fit very well into the Mclaren ethos, I expect better things from him next year. As mentioned above, he isn't the only driver to underperform this year and he's probably benefitted from that. On current form you wouldn't guess Raikkonen was a World Champion, so don't judge Kova too soon.

HK could improve next year but I'm sure they are happy with him in McLaren right now. They like Heikki as much as they disliked Alonso. :snigger:

Drivers do improve, and I reckon Kova will. I admit that I thought Heikki would trouble Lewis on a fairly regular basis, and he has, in qualifying. It's clear to me he has immense raw speed over one lap. I still think that the guy has potential after seeing him last year, I think he needs to learn how to set the Mclaren up, once he does that he will have the race pace to challenge. He seems to fit very well into the Mclaren ethos, I expect better things from him next year. As mentioned above, he isn't the only driver to underperform this year and he's probably benefitted from that. On current form you wouldn't guess Raikkonen was a World Champion, so don't judge Kova too soon.

Yeah, I agree. I am not giving up on Heikki yet.

HK could improve next year but I'm sure they are happy with him in McLaren right now. They like Heikki as much as they disliked Alonso. :snigger:

I am not sure they could like anyone that much :whistling::lol:

HK will never deliver in a a top line seat, he just isn't good enough. The guy didn't really have much of a pedigree untill he beat Michael in the race of champions final some time ago - it's all hype.

Quick F1 drivers are quick out of the box, they don't need a whole season to be quick. If they have potential it will be immediately evident and obvious. Heikki is performing just as I predicted - the pressure competing in a front running team has got the better of him.

Kovalainen is the new Barrichello. He can become a very good driver, but I don't feel any kind of ambition on the guy. He's Lewis' bitch and he settles for that.

With talents such as Kubica, Vettel and Alonso flying around, I don't think Kova will ever have space on a top team if it's not to be someone's number 2.

Kovalainen is the new Barrichello. He can become a very good driver, but I don't feel any kind of ambition on the guy. He's Lewis' bitch and he settles for that.

With talents such as Kubica, Vettel and Alonso flying around, I don't think Kova will ever have space on a top team if it's not to be someone's number 2.

Well I kinda agree with that, I don't think he's gonna be a champion, but so very few drivers are that good. Like you say he will probably improve to an extent, and be a kind of Barrichello (although better, somehow), which isn't exactly an insult 'cos a lot of drivers would kill to be half as good as Rubens ;) But yeah he is not on the same level as Alonso, Vettel, Kubica, Hamilton and probably never will be, he will have his days though.

He's the perfect McLaren whipping boy. :whistling:

me thinks heikki can improve but i dont see him becoming any better than a mid grid driver...

He's the perfect McLaren whipping boy. :whistling:

If only he was! He's not scoring consistently enough- there's no point in having a whipping boy who doesn't deliver the points for the WCC. You may as well field one driver.

It's no secret that he was Ron's third choice, and it's easy to see why. I think he could come good but McLaren need to stop defending him every time he does a crappy job. It's time for him to know that his seat is not secure unless he starts getting podium finishes regularly.