Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rainmaster

Goodbye Piquet

Di Grassi lined up for Renault seat

By Jonathan Noble Tuesday, September 30th 2008, 10:01 GMT

Lucas di Grassi has emerged as the leading contender to replace Nelson Piquet at Renault next year if the French car manufacturer decide to drop the Formula One rookie, autosport.com has learned.

Although Piquet has scored one podium finish with a fortunate second place in the German Grand Prix, he has been unable to find the pace to match the team's number one driver Fernando Alonso.

Piquet did not help his cause when he crashed out of the Singapore Grand Prix last weekend - although ironically his error played a key part in helping Alonso triumph.

Sources close to the team claim that Piquet has not done enough to justify a second season with the team, and his situation was not helped when di Grassi impressed Renault with a solid three-day run during the recent Jerez test.

It is understood di Grassi not only did well in terms of his overall speed in Jerez but also shone in the swift way he got up to speed, as well as his positive attitude towards the team.

Renault boss Flavio Briatore is currently considering what to do about his 2009 driver line-up, although any final decision does depend on whether Fernando Alonso decides the stay with the team.

Sources have revealed that Briatore has already offered Piquet to Scuderia Toro Rosso for next year, but it is understood the team are not interested unless there is a big financial incentive.

If Toro Rosso do not take up the offer, then Piquet could well be consigned to just a test driver role next year.

space.gif

Source

Well what can I say? The guy was super impressive, a total all rounder and probably one of the fastest, bravest and strategically minded Grand Prix driv..wait a minute, wrong goodbye message.

Erm, Piquet sucks, and it looks like Renault are booting him. Now normally I'd say it's better to give a guy more time (2 seasons), and I do like Nelson, but he's been distinctly crap all year. So cya kid.

All i ever wanted was the kid to have time. He has had time. He's not good enough.

He did well last race. :P

No, seriously he can't be worse than Kovalainen.

How do you figure that one? Kova don't be crashing, Piquet be crashing very muchly. Plus he's never shown anything special, unlike HK who has, in the rain and a couple of other times. But atm they both suck.

Yeah honestly I was moderately impressed with HK. Sure he had an iffy start but once he got going he did fine at Renault.

One has to laugh at Lobato:

[singapore qualy,Piquet fails on Q1.]

Lobato: 'It's the 2nd time this season that Piquet hasn't passed to Q2'

[Ad break]

'Actually,I've just been told that this is the 8th time this season that he fails to qualify for Q2'

:lol::lol:

He's been absolutely shocking this season. Shocking, how he even got the seat in the first place and held it for so long was beyond me. If anyone better was in his place at hockenhiem they would of won rather than 2nd.

Goodbye Nelson, it was fun watching you c*ck up at nearly every race...

Yep, Nelsinho sucks a lot. I doubt Berger will want him.

I have good hopes for Di Grassi, though.

Yes Di Grassi looks much more impressive and Toro Rosso are certainly in a position to turn down someone like Piquet.

Reminds me of this guy that used to race for this team not so long back and he got dropped from the race team and made into a tester and then got given another shot at a race seat, and he amassad a few points this season and currently sits in P2 in the championship.

Maybe he has been rushed up too soon, like many of the grid are these days...maybe testing for a year would do him a world of good then get a race seat in 2010/2011.

But then again, HE HASN'T BEEN DROPPED......................................................................yet

The best thing Nelsinho did this year was crash in Singapore, thus helping Fernando through the field. For that Renault must be thankful. He was a big mouth / arrogant prick prior to the season getting under way. Far too c#cky for me, never liked the fool.

So long sucker*

* When the decision comes to drop him :D

Well to his defence, he has a tough team-mate to be compared to, and he's been surprisingly close to Alonso in a few races this season. -_-

I don't like him either and he's a future test driver fo sho...

Reminds me of this guy that used to race for this team not so long back and he got dropped from the race team and made into a tester and then got given another shot at a race seat, and he amassad a few points this season and currently sits in P2 in the championship.

Maybe he has been rushed up too soon, like many of the grid are these days...maybe testing for a year would do him a world of good then get a race seat in 2010/2011.

But then again, HE HASN'T BEEN DROPPED......................................................................yet

So your saying Nelson "could" be as good a Massa?......

PAHAHAHAHAHA!! :lol:

Shame Nelson's manager isnt Jean Todts son or else he'd be in a Ferrari leading the championship now right?! :lol: