Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cavallino

Why Doesn't Anyone Want Alonso?

There you go.

I just saw your post saying pretty much the same thing as me... clearly great minds think alike! ^_^

4) Driver's skills: Mixed. Some really great displays (Singapore+no TC+no pileup=boring, but amazing feat) coupled with mistakes that would have embarrassed Ide himself. Let's not compare the whole field with Senna, Prost et al. Let's compare them against Salazar, De Cesaris, Yoong or Ralf Schumacher. They don't suck THAT much now, do they?

So you are coming around to accepting what the supreme prophet told you ages ago :D

[quote name='Wez' post='271655' date='Oct 15 2008, 10:17 PM']I just saw your post saying pretty much the same thing as me... clearly great minds think alike! ^_^ [/quote]

To his credit, Maure spewed drivel throughout the time Alonso was crashing and forgetting where the track was, unlike some people who predictably pop up every time he's gifted a win :D

So you are coming around to accepting what the supreme prophet told you ages ago :D

Bah, hand me that Prophet crown! I was the one who predicted Alonso's wins at Singapore and Japan!

Beat THAT! :P

Bah, hand me that Prophet crown! I was the one who predicted Alonso's wins at Singapore and Japan!

Prophecies do not appear as wet dreams <_< Do not make light of the noble profession

Prophecies do not appear as wet dreams <_< Do not make light of the noble profession

In that case it has even more merit :P

Now, you do know what the state of Renault was by the time of Andr

To his credit, Maure spewed drivel throughout the time Alonso was crashing and forgetting where the track was, unlike some people who predictably pop up every time he's gifted a win :D

Shame Cav is still bitter about Alonso thumping Schumacher for his last two seasons in F1... I guess the psychology didnt work hey?

High five bud! ;)

In a good handling car, Button would trash him. Probably.

I think that a good driver can adapt to good/bad/any kind of cars.

Whenever someone says that about Button,I can't help but think it's an excuse.After all,all the greats have started in crap cars and,by shining driving those bad cars,have got contracts to better teams.

I think that a good driver can adapt to good/bad/any kind of cars.

Whenever someone says that about Button,I can't help but think it's an excuse.After all,all the greats have started in crap cars and,by shining driving those bad cars,have got contracts to better teams.

I never said Button was a great, he's a decent driver who would put a couple of tenths on Barrichello if the car handled, at all. Great drivers would probably put 3 or 4 tenths on Rubens with the current car.

I never said Button was a great, he's a decent driver who would put a couple of tenths on Barrichello if the car handled, at all. Great drivers would probably put 3 or 4 tenths on Rubens with the current car.

Ok,I was replying to the general crowd that always claim that if Button this...if Button that...a random post,not that I care much,either.I feel sleepy.At 10 pm.I'm getting old.

Ok,I was replying to the general crowd that always claim that if Button this...if Button that...a random post,not that I care much,either.I feel sleepy.At 10 pm.I'm getting old.

:lol:

How come people asking general questions always quote me?? It's confusing me :lol:

Edit:- I was gonna write something, nevermind.

How come people asking general questions always quote me?? It's confusing me :lol:

I've noticed that too :lol:

You are all a bunch of idiots. You all deserve to die. Especially YOU!!!!

Sorry, quoting George for no particular reason.

:roll::roll:

I just saw your post saying pretty much the same thing as me... clearly great minds think alike! ^_^

Go us.

Go us.

Indeed!

2) New tracks: Mixed. If they get rid of Magny Cours and Hungaroring it will be great. Valencia? The race was crap, but you need to watch at least two or three races before judging. I don't miss Imola, either. Singapore seemed good, maybe next year sucks. Bahrain is good, Shanghai is very good, Turkey is great. I miss Suzuka every year. I will definitely HATE not having Montreal.

3) Overtaking: This year we've seen some more overtaking. Not too much, many processional races, but the few ones with overtaking showed some very good ones. Most people recalls the old age only trhu a condensed "highlights" mental image. I recall watching the cars going lap over lap without any real overtaking in the past too. Of course, the cars allowed for some rather amazing overtaking. Tires could take more punishment than today, and the wheel to wheel battles were far more common in the 70s. But compared to the 90s, for example, I think we might be even better now.

4) Driver's skills: Mixed. Some really great displays (Singapore+no TC+no pileup=boring, but amazing feat) coupled with mistakes that would have embarrassed Ide himself. Let's not compare the whole field with Senna, Prost et al. Let's compare them against Salazar, De Cesaris, Yoong or Ralf Schumacher. They don't suck THAT much now, do they?

5) Top drivers: Mixed. Alonso back in form is breathtaking. Kubica is good, he just needs a little plus (maybe a better car) and he will be a great one. Massa? He still fails to amaze me, but the guy certainly works hard. Damon Hill was not so much better, let's not exagerate. Hamilton...well I certainly give the guy the credit for his ups, because he is amazingly fast and fun to watch. When he sucks, though...at least he is still as fun! Kimi? Oh..well...could be worse, I guess.

6) Stupid restrictions: awfully bad. The teams are spread like always (two teams at the top, one of them Ferrari...two more that might get a lucky win and the rest fighting for whatever they can get, plus the usual moving chicanes) so all the efforts and regulations to have the same field spread we have at the beggining. The money they might have saved in developement they wasted in lawyers.

7) Stewards: they turned every race into a whining competition. "He deserved the penalty more than I!" "Look! That guy's helmet is not legal!!!" "Mommy! Daddy!!!". Pathetic. Worse of all, just imagine they stop delivering penalties from now on. Next race somebody makes a move like Hammy's or Massa's yet they don't get penalized. How will Lewis and Felipe feel?

great post that got somewhat ignored - a shame for all your effort

agree with everything you've said especially paras 3 & 4 - everyone remembers the highlights, not the past as it actually was - inevitably then this season always sucks - no matter how good it is.

another point someone else made, that I and others have said before - when a season is dominated by one driver and team from the get go - everyone complains for the lack of competition - they say there's no point watching the races because everyone knows who's going to win. then, when there's competition everyone complains about no one doing well enough to stand out as the top driver. people - it can't eat your cake and have you - or something like that.

now the reply to this argument is - "I want a well contested championship with everyone driving really well." but think about it. if that were the case driver's would have no bearing on the results at all - just cars - why would we watch - we'd know the results already. secondly the rising pressure and resultant possibilities of driver errors are what makes any season so potentially exciting - I would quickly loose interest if robots were placed behind the wheels of F1 cars - or if there were 20 MS's or even 20 Senna's on the track. and don't forget - back to the highlights nature of memory again - when MS, Senna, Prost et al were at the top of the game, they made plenty of stupid errors too.

agree with everything you've said especially paras 3 & 4 - everyone remembers the highlights, not the past as it actually was - inevitably then this season always sucks - no matter how good it is.

another point someone else made, that I and others have said before - when a season is dominated by one driver and team from the get go - everyone complains for the lack of competition - they say there's no point watching the races because everyone knows who's going to win. then, when there's competition everyone complains about no one doing well enough to stand out as the top driver. people - it can't eat your cake and have you - or something like that.

now the reply to this argument is - "I want a well contested championship with everyone driving really well." but think about it. if that were the case driver's would have no bearing on the results at all - just cars - why would we watch - we'd know the results already. secondly the rising pressure and resultant possibilities of driver errors are what makes any season so potentially exciting - I would quickly loose interest if robots were placed behind the wheels of F1 cars - or if there were 20 MS's or even 20 Senna's on the track. and don't forget - back to the highlights nature of memory again - when MS, Senna, Prost et al were at the top of the game, they made plenty of stupid errors too.

Oh great, you had to bring it up didn't you?? If you keep responding to his posts, he never goes away :whistling:

I agree, though. I remember when the cars had a proper gear shift/stickshift it seemed a fairly common occurrence for drivers to miss a gear. Unless that's looking back with the opposite of rose tinted glasses :eusa_think:

That was a good post, and one I can certainly agree to. I would say on average the field is about as good as it always is. I honestly think for the first time we have good back runners and good front runners. Remember no traciton control anymore. Their jobs are a little harder then the have been for the last few years. With T.C driver errors were reduced, but that is a function of the technology, not the drivers. So I generally do not agree wiht any assessment that says the drivers are a worse lot then before. My only concern is that a Rookie like Hamilton can seem to be so good, and that is the only reservation I have. Maybe he really is that good though.

That was a good post, and one I can certainly agree to. I would say on average the field is about as good as it always is. I honestly think for the first time we have good back runners and good front runners. Remember no traciton control anymore. Their jobs are a little harder then the have been for the last few years. With T.C driver errors were reduced, but that is a function of the technology, not the drivers. So I generally do not agree wiht any assessment that says the drivers are a worse lot then before. My only concern is that a Rookie like Hamilton can seem to be so good, and that is the only reservation I have. Maybe he really is that good though.

Absolutely. I wish Michael were still around to use as a yardstick. If he would be struggling, you know it's a struggle.

Yup. The closest thing to a benchmark that we do have is El Nano, and he's had a scrappier year than he usually does. So has Kimi.

Yup. I also didn't like the comment Nando made as soon as I read it. This is a very condensed list of the ups and downs of the latest seasons for me:

1) Less one horse races: good

etc

Everything you say is right on the money Andres. Stop being so objective!

Absolutely. I wish Michael were still around to use as a yardstick. If he would be struggling, you know it's a struggle.
Yup. The closest thing to a benchmark that we do have is El Nano, and he's had a scrappier year than he usually does. So has Kimi.

Yes, benchmark is a better word, better than yardstick. That's what i love about you Graham, I shift the bar, whilst you raise the goal posts. Or something like that.