Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DOF_power

Canada Loses Formula One Slot.

I also say it's pathetic, especially when the almighty didn't even bother to tell the Canadian organisers, just let em find out via a news paper !!!!! A bit like sacking an employee by sending him a letter, not fronting face to face. COWARDLY

Me thinks Canada did not want to pay Bernie his exhorbitant costs for hosting the event.

Which brings me to another item.

Mosely wanting costs cut by the teams so that they can survive? WHO are "They". I suspect he means so that F1 can survive, he don't give a rats arse about the teams as long as the grid is full of "Whatevers" that purport to look like race cars.

How about some of the HUGE sums of money raked in by Bernie, who charges circuit owners an exhorbinant amount just to HOST the GP, and also his rake in on the TV rights, be PAID back to the teams in a more EQUAL way, not as present by points scored.

After all this is a Circus, just like any other circus that shows clowns etc., so without the supporting tracks, and TEAMS, and of course TV rights , the show will not go on

Canada not expecting race reprieve

The Canadian motorsport authorities believe the FIA's decision to axe the 2009 Canadian Grand Prix is final, and cannot see their race getting a reprieve.

A revised 2009 calendar issued yesterday saw Montreal lose its June slot to the Turkish GP, which had been shifted from August to ensure that the now-traditional three-week summer break was maintained.

Roger Peart, president of the ASN Canada FIA, said he could not envisage the FIA going back on its shock decision now.

"It's a done deal," he was quoted as saying by the Montreal Gazette.

"It was voted on today by the world council and that's really the end of it."

The Canadian GP organisers issued a statement saying they could not comment on the race's removal from the calendar until they had discussed the situation with the FIA, but Peart believes the Montreal track could simply no longer compete with new venues like Abu Dhabi and Singapore.

"I'm surprised, but not completely," he said Roger Peart.

"The commercial side of the sport is moving on to more glamourous venues.

"I don't mean the city of Montreal as far as that, but the facilities themselves.

"Montreal are not world leaders anymore, so it's a purely commercial matter unfortunately."

I feel like smacking Bernie in the face!

First he doesnt make Suzuka a regular race on the calendar, the amount of times Spa has been left out of the calendar and now this!

Really irritates that tracks like Valencia stay on the calendar, considering if delivers no good racing and theres no glamour! What is soo special about cars driving near fish boats and containers!?

Bernie stop being greedy and get the good ol tracks back, rather than these stupid bore-fest tracks that have bags of money to throw away.

I feel like smacking Bernie in the face!

First he doesnt make Suzuka a regular race on the calendar, the amount of times Spa has been left out of the calendar and now this!

Really irritates that tracks like Valencia stay on the calendar, considering if delivers no good racing and theres no glamour! What is soo special about cars driving near fish boats and containers!?

Bernie stop being greedy and get the good ol tracks back, rather than these stupid bore-fest tracks that have bags of money to throw away.

It looks as though Canada was not prepared to Pay Bernie what he is wants. Should be interesting to see how much free money is floating around that will allow millions to be thrown away for sporting events after the recent economic melt down.

Again good luck F1. It appears your future is secure :rolleyes:

Indycar already provides less costly spec racing without all these other silly ideas Max and Bernie keep hatching. Can anyone point me to a good Indycar forum???

It looks as though Canada was not prepared to Pay Bernie what he is wants. Should be interesting to see how much free money is floating around that will allow millions to be thrown away for sporting events after the recent economic melt down.

It will be very interesting indeed. Bernie appears to be tying his ship more tightly to the middle east and one has to wonder - with oil dropping from it's inflated 600% increase of the past few months, and with oil inflated economies in many of the middle eastern countries still not diversified enough to weather any significant global economic downturn...there could be a lot of unrest. Of course, I suppose Bernie might feel a little more comfortable dealing with kings and emirs - "birds of a feather" you know.

Yup F1 may end up with no North American home at all. Hardly a "world series", more like Bernie's little pony show - pony up the money and you get the show.

Too bad. It used to be the real thing and while this season has at least been fun - one of the best in recent years I think! It still stinks to loose another of the great race tracks!

This thread has attracted every single persistent whiner on the forum, people who claim to hate the sport, but keep watching it nevertheless, and then come to this forum and whine about Mosley/ Ferrari/ FIA/ Ecclestone :S :yawn:

This thread has attracted every single persistent whiner on the forum, people who claim to hate the sport, but keep watching it nevertheless, and then come to this forum and whine about Mosley/ Ferrari/ FIA/ Ecclestone :S :yawn:

Thanks for your ever positive spin on everything. You are without doubt one of the most thought provoking posters on the board. This last one was a good one.

Whilst I agree that there is some room for narrow and street circuits on the circus, it is these races that throw up the variable results and whilst they are useful to have, they are not what F1 is about which is to determine the overall best, not just on some freak results.

Hey Cav been a while since you gave us the view from where your head is usually stuffed!

Seriously man is that all you could say about the loss of another good track! duh... I suppose it's just your hatred of north america coming thru again. I feel sorry for you.

Haven't read the thread, so don't know how much of your sentiments I am echoing, but I think losing the Canadian GP is a very, very big shame. I attended the race in 2001, and perhaps having seen it live, I've viewed the event differently ever since. It was one of my favorite races of the year, don't know why exactly (considering the lack of overtaking) but nonetheless, its still a shame.

Huge loss for Montreal too, I read somewhere that 50

Haven't read the thread, so don't know how much of your sentiments I am echoing, but I think losing the Canadian GP is a very, very big shame. I attended the race in 2001, and perhaps having seen it live, I've viewed the event differently ever since. It was one of my favorite races of the year, don't know why exactly (considering the lack of overtaking) but nonetheless, its still a shame.

Huge loss for Montreal too, I read somewhere that 50

Bernie's brought out such lists before, only to reinstate races later.

Even if we lose Canada, big deal, we've lost Spa before and F1 survived.

I get tired of people who clai mto be leaving the forum, then come back and do nothing but whine whine whine.

Gutted by the news. It is just anoter step in my incresing disillusionment with modern day F1 though I intend to stick by it in the hope that oneday it will move back towards its roots, maybe after Bernie is gone. I'm all for something new and changes but F1 needs to keep some of his history intact and with the loss of Montreal I worry some other famous circuits will leave us also for countries without F1 pedegree but with plenty of money to cough up.

Montreal is one of the most exciting circuits out there. This years race there was excellent and the one in 2007 was probably the best of the entire season, it had everything. It was also Hamilton's first win and I also happened to be lucky to have been at it.

I only moved to live in Canada a month ago and was looking forward to making the 8hr drive from Toronto up to Montreal each June to catch the race. That is now no more thanks to Bernie and his greed. Lets just say he is not a popular man here anymore with Canada losing it's biggest annual sporting event.

In 2005 the Montreal GP was the 3rd most watched sporting event in the plant behind only the Superbowl and the Champions League Final. The interest in the race was there, the fans kept selling it out.

Hopefully someday it will be back. While the new circuits are all very nice and will become part of the history one day I just hope it doesn't continue to happen at the expense of some of F1s fan favourite circuits.

I've also read the Turkish GP will move into it's spot freeing up a 4 week summer break in August? Is it only me who thinks it daft for a summer sport to have a summer break? Madness, but onward we go.

Bernie's brought out such lists before, only to reinstate races later.

Even if we lose Canada, big deal, we've lost Spa before and F1 survived.

I get tired of people who claim to be leaving the forum, then come back and do nothing but whine whine whine.

F1 will go on without Canada for sure. IF you really think nothing is wrong with F1, I have some High Grade leveraged enhanced funds for sale you might be interested in.

Please make a list of the whinners you would like to see gone from the forum. I want to know if I am on that list.

So.... Your opinion on the Montreal race being canned is no loss to the sport or fans??????

ok.

As a Canadian Taxpayer, if our federal governments contributes one dime in an effort to get Bernie back, I'll be sending a letter to my MP. Governments should stay the hell out of crap like this. It is either a commercial success or not on the merits of the sport. THe fact that no Canadian promoter want to go to bed with Berine, should be good enough to kill the race in my books. If F1 can not sustain itself then let it die. Don't give my tax money to this sorry excuse for a sport and all the inflated ego's it represents. Canada and Montreal will be fine without F1. Don't deal, let it die. Freaking politicans, show some balls and tell Bernie to pound sand.

Canada is proud and strong. Not one Canadian Bank is in trouble, and fiscal responsibility is what Canada is all about. Take a stand. They want to be here, they need to be here, so show some backbone and let the money spenders in that sport bring the race back to Canada. Don't whine and beg to get the race back. It makes my stomach turn to hear these politicans screaming for a government Bailout. It is car racing, and if promoters can't make money then there is something inherently wrong with the way the sport is run. Don't reward greed , by throwing more money at them. Let them go. I'm a big fan of F1, but I wish these talking suits would use their freaking brain.

If F1 doesn't want to be in Canada, fine. Let's move on and do something else. Sooner or later a ship taking on water is going to sink. Far better to be far away from it when it goes keel over.

CANADA OUT??????

AND WHY IS ABU DHABI THE LAST GP???Is it just in case the track is crap people like it cause it's the last race?

As a Canadian Taxpayer, if our federal governments contributes one dime in an effort to get Bernie back, I'll be sending a letter to my MP. Governments should stay the hell out of crap like this. It is either a commercial success or not on the merits of the sport. THe fact that no Canadian promoter want to go to bed with Berine, should be good enough to kill the race in my books. If F1 can not sustain itself then let it die. Don't give my tax money to this sorry excuse for a sport and all the inflated ego's it represents. Canada and Montreal will be fine without F1. Don't deal, let it die. Freaking politicans, show some balls and tell Bernie to pound sand.

Canada is proud and strong. Not one Canadian Bank is in trouble, and fiscal responsibility is what Canada is all about. Take a stand. They want to be here, they need to be here, so show some backbone and let the money spenders in that sport bring the race back to Canada. Don't whine and beg to get the race back. It makes my stomach turn to hear these politicans screaming for a government Bailout. It is car racing, and if promoters can't make money then there is something inherently wrong with the way the sport is run. Don't reward greed , by throwing more money at them. Let them go. I'm a big fan of F1, but I wish these talking suits would use their freaking brain.

If F1 doesn't want to be in Canada, fine. Let's move on and do something else. Sooner or later a ship taking on water is going to sink. Far better to be far away from it when it goes keel over.

Government called in to save Canadian Grand Prix

Canwest News Service

Published: Wednesday, October 08, 2008

MONTREAL - The Grand Prix of Canada was dropped from Formula One's 2009 calender over a contractual dispute that's unlikely to be resolved because the sport has become too rich for organizers in Montreal.

Now the baton has been passed to government in an attempt to save the race.

Paul Wilson, vice-president of marketing for Grand Prix F1 Canada, on Wednesday said that while they aren't interested in continuing as a private promoter for the race at Circuit Gilles Villeneuve, the organization is prepared to help the federal and provincial governments fight to get it back. That in the wake of Tuesday's decision by the Federation Internationale de l'automobile to not include Montreal on next year's schedule of 18 races.

Speaking on behalf of Normand Legault, GPF1 chief executive officer and president, Wilson said the organization has been contacted by Michael Fortier, federal minister of public works and government services, and Raymond Bachand, Quebec minister of tourism and minister of economic development, innovation and export trade, and minister responsible for the region of Montreal, as well as officials from the city, as how best to proceed to restore an event that brings in an estimated $100 million in economic spinoffs to the region annually.

Wilson said Fortier spoke to F1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone Wednesday at the request of Prime Minister Stephen Harper.

"There's a lot of government interest," said Wilson. "Michael spoke to me. Raymond Bachand spoke to me, also the office of the mayor of Montreal. They all want to get together and are very much trying to get moving on this as one. Normand is not interested in asking for help from government bodies,"

Wilson said. "Is he going to be there if they need his help? That's another story. Right now, even though I know Fortier wants to start moving things and have dealings, if he needs to get our help to speak to people, or us to build a business plan of what it could be like, we'll be there."

"But it's for them to call the shots," added Wilson."If they think it's a good idea for the city, for the province, for the country, go for it."

Wilson confirmed that FIA dropped Montreal because of a commercial disagreement between GPF1 and Ecclestone, but it was a unilateral decision by the president and CEO of Formula One Management and Formula One Administration, despite ongoing negotiations with Legault to try to resolve the issue.

Ecclestone, who did not return calls from The Gazette, told Bloomberg.com that "It's a technical problem with the contract," but he declined to give details.

"Next year, we'll lose it for sure," Ecclestone said before adding, "It's disappointing not to have a race in North America. If we could be there again in the future, we'd like to be. We'll get it sorted out."

Wilson revealed that Ecclestone had been aware "for a number years" of the tenuous status of race operations in light of soaring costs to stage it and financial guarantees to Ecclestone which some estimates put as high as $20 million annually.

Wilson said the vast majority of F1 races were now bankrolled by governments or government agencies with the trend having become to stage new events in Asia and the Middle East, such as races in Singapore and Abu Dhabi in the United Arab Emirates. The latter took Montreal's place on the 2009 calendar even though it will be run at the end of the season in November while the Turkish Grand Prix occupies the early June date traditionally reserved for Canada.

Published reports say organizers in Valencia, Spain, paid $50 million for the rights to hold this year's European Grand Prix.

"For an organization like ours, which is to say a private promoter, the actual business model implemented by the owners (of F1) and F1 teams is no longer feasible," said Wilson, adding that Legault's group no longer has any interest in the race as a private promoter.

"Given the financial pressure imposed by the indebtedness of the owners, combined with the demands of the teams, there is no choice but to impose cost increases that are unfortunately no longer feasible for our market," said Wilson. "And like any business, we had to make a business decision based on these observations.

"We were confronted with the following choices: either we renegotiate on more realistic basis for our market, or we remove ourselves entirely from the management of this event," he said. "Mr. Ecclestone seems to have made his decision."

Montreal Gazette

http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/news/st...9a-8ab3ac8902eb

-------------------------------------------------

I'm assuming Montreal Gazette is a decent source...

Also I guess they will pay the piper his dues and have a race... But seriously though, F1 tracks do need governmental support, as the governmnet gains that estimated 100 mil in trade and not the track itself...

-------------------------------------------------

I'm assuming Montreal Gazette is a decent source...

Also I guess they will pay the piper his dues and have a race... But seriously though, F1 tracks do need governmental support, as the governmnet gains that estimated 100 mil in trade and not the track itself...

Goverments, build schools, hospitals, city infrastructure and build a military to defend the country against attack. They should not fund F1 car races. That 100 million is revenue for businesses in the Montreal area. If it so lucrative let the business's in the area sponsor the race. Just more people wanting a free ride on the backs of tax payers. Honda, BMW, Mercedes, speak of how important the North American market is to them. Well Pony up boys if you have a vested interest in selling cars. Don't expect me to fund your business. Everybody has their hand out now. I am tired of it. I read all but one race is now backed by a government. What a ludicrous crock of crap Bernie has sold to people. Milk as much money as you can from the fans, sponsors, and manufactures to feather the nest. Make it so expensive that private industy gives it up and then sell the goods to lame brained governments. What a con. I seriously hope Canada leads the way and kisses F1 goodbye, but I have a feeling the stuffed suits will eat it all up and then wrap themselves in the glory of saving the F1 race. I soon as I am done puking I'll go write my MP.

Did you know these wise managers of money pay these drivers Millions of dollars. For what!!!!!!!!!!!!! Get a handle on your controllable costs. Why are they paying millions of dollars to a driver. IS there some fear he is going to escape to some other rival driving league??? It is the only game in town, and yet these guys still just throw money around. How can I seriously think the teams are doing anything to manage costs. They don't have a revenue problem, they have a spending problem. You don't treat people with spending problems by giving them more money to spend.

Don't do it Canada. Kiss em goodbye, and wish them luck. Send them the message, that the price of this game is just too damn much.

From the horse's mouth :

"America works in a different way," the F1 Chief Executive is quoted as saying by La Gazzetta dello Sport. "Certain world events, like Formula One in some countries or the Olympic Games, are financed by the state.

"In America they are organised by private entities, who want to make a profit even before the race has been held. It's a bit too much."