Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rainmaster

Ferrari See Sense

Ferrari revert to 'lollipop' system

By Pablo Elizalde Tuesday, October 7th 2008, 08:55 GMT

Ferrari will go back to using the traditional "lollipop" system in the Japanese Grand Prix following the problems they had in Singapore.

Brazilian Felipe Massa lost all his chances of scoring a good result in the night race after the mechanic controlling the innovative lights system made a mistake and turned the green lights on before the fuel hose had been detached from the car.

The lights system usually works automatically when the hose is removed, but the system was operated manually in Singapore.

Team boss Stefano Domenicali said Ferrari needed to simplify things at the moment, and so they will be using the lollipop system in this weekend's race in Fuji.

"In this moment we need tranquillity and therefore we prefer to go back to the old system," Domenicali told reporters.

Ferrari failed to score any points in the Singapore race and lost the lead in the constructors' championship to McLaren with just three races to go.

Massa is seven points behind Briton Lewis Hamilton.

Source

A good decision. I see they've listened to Bernie. Why they ever bothered with a system like that in the first place is another matter.

Now let's hope they don't screw up again, because the lollipop man is no miracle solution and Ferrari have been having a season to forget regarding team organisation...

Source

A good decision. I see they've listened to Bernie. Why they ever bothered with a system like that in the first place is another matter.

I disagree... Looking ahead the lights system is much better. But they should have done more testing on it instead of just using it....

I disagree... Looking ahead the lights system is much better. But they should have done more testing on it instead of just using it....

Yeah well: If it ain't broke don't fix it ;)

But the light system is an improvement to the guy....It just needs to be perfected a bit more...

Source

Indeed

Now let's hope they don't screw up again, because the lollipop man is no miracle solution and Ferrari have been having a season to forget regarding team organisation...

Indeed

Indeed

But the light system is an improvement to the guy....It just needs to be perfected a bit more...

+1 agree

The light system will never be as good as the lollipop because, if there's a problem, the only way to tell the driver to immediatly stop is by bringing down an object in front of his face.

It's that simple.

The light system will never be as good as the lollipop because, if there's a problem, the only way to tell the driver to immediatly stop is by bringing down an object in front of his face.

It's that simple.

Agreed

But to really get their attention they should fix pictures of naked women to the lollipop (in Kimi's case a picture of a bottle of Smirnoff); mind you might not work with some drivers.... :eusa_think:

How can a flawed system be better than a system thats been used for decades and has been perfected throughout the years. Seems like a complete waste of time and risk losing both championship just to find a few tenths of a second.

Someone in Ferrari needs to get the sack...

Indeed

Indeed

Indeed

:lol: Well, quite.

Plus, I hope Ferrari are out of practice with the old lollipop system and mess up again. That would make me laugh. Otherwise I agree that their electronic system was absurd and personally I think it should have been banned on safety grounds.

Indeed

Indeed

Indeed

Indeed.

How can a flawed system be better than a system thats been used for decades and has been perfected throughout the years. Seems like a complete waste of time and risk losing both championship just to find a few tenths of a second.

Someone in Ferrari needs to get the sack...

I wouldn't call for the sacking of anyone. I guess they were trying to be innovative and develop new methods, trying to improve, bring F1 a bit more in to the future. It didn't work. No real need to sack anyone is it!!

How do you know something is not going to work until you have tried it?!