Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DriftingGuy

French Gp Cancelled - Thanks Bernie !!!!

I wonder when Prince Albert will cancel the Monaco GP due to "financial difficulties." I think every country/promoter should cancel their GP's due to "financial difficulties" so that Bernie gets the message.

Well bollock me, another one bites the dust. This one sucked though whereas Canada had it's qualities, hopefully the French GP will return somewhere better (like Britain :P )

Well bollock me, another one bites the dust. This one sucked though whereas Canada had it's qualities, hopefully the French GP will return somewhere better (like Britain :P )

Good to see this awful track go. Sad, because it does not gets cancelled because it's awfulbut because of world recession. I hope it is not a sign of times to come in F1.

Thank God. Magny Cours is a hellhole.

Please please please bring back Canada and get rid of the Hungarosh1te.

At this rate we'll have a twelve race calender by the start of the next season. Bring back the wall of champions and the brickyard!

Yup. Not a huge fan of Magny-Cours tbh. Don't mind Hungary quite so much. But a modern track would be better.

I'd like to see a GP in India sooner than later. Do any our Indian friends around here have an update on that?

Formula 1's track selection is quickly becoming a joke. No USA, Canada or France...

And yet we go to weird places like Abu Dhabi, Bahrain, Turkey... Clearly Bernie's greed has consumed him!

Let me search deep inside about the drop of Magny-Cours... nope, nope, I _can_ confirm I don't give a rat's arse.

Thank God. Magny Cours is a hellhole.

Please please please bring back Canada and get rid of the Hungarosh1te.

BUT... Although it was an average track in an area of France, so remote not even Hitler had any intention of taking it over back in the 1940's... At least it was a track that attracted some REAL formula 1 fans who had a passion for the sport and not a bunch of money thirsty oil tycoons who only want the Grand Prix so they can smile as the cars burn up thousands of liters of oil and increase the Oil/Doller index in front of their eyes B)

Good news :)

That should leave a space for Canada to make its return.. :)

Magny Cours was only good if it rained.

Hungary is pants, as is Monza and Valencia. Let's hope they die off too.

how dare you put Monza in that list. Monza has the most F1 history of any track on the calender. It has witnessed the closest finishes and the most star studded podiums and some of the worst crashes in F1. Just for that it has a right to be on the calender just like Monaco.

how dare you put Monza in that list. Monza has the most F1 history of any track on the calender. It has witnessed the closest finishes and the most star studded podiums and some of the worst crashes in F1. Just for that it has a right to be on the calender just like Monaco.

I agree, Monza, Spa, Monaco and a few others are part of F1's DNA.

Suzuka is awesome.

@Jez: I think the Indian GP will happen in 2010, because Bernie doesn't want it for next year.

At this rate we'll have a twelve race calender by the start of the next season. Bring back the wall of champions and the brickyard!

I have a felling very soon , we'll get upto 20 tracks a year...

I'd like to see a GP in India sooner than later. Do any our Indian friends around here have an update on that?

Yeah, I would too (since that's probably a race i'll go to). The Indian GP has unfortunaly got pushed back to 2011. It was supposed to be on 2011, but then recently (1 month max) Bernie said in an interview that Indian GP will be held in 2011. I can only think he doesn't want to introduce 2 new tracks in one year. ( 2010 - South Korea is expected to hold it's GP). But apart from that, not much news is available on India's GP... Mallaya did say that the track would most likely be ready but what Bernie wants he gets so the new date will be 2011...

and btw, I never really liked the French GP and since it was never going to be in magny Cours anyways, how would it have mattered?? (they were considering a race in Paris)

BUT... Although it was an average track in an area of France, so remote not even Hitler had any intention of taking it over back in the 1940's... At least it was a track that attracted some REAL formula 1 fans who had a passion for the sport and not a bunch of money thirsty oil tycoons who only want the Grand Prix so they can smile as the cars burn up thousands of liters of oil and increase the Oil/Doller index in front of their eyes B)

That's because real fans were the only ones stupid enough to travel for miles and miles to see the most boring race on the calendar. Spa is almost as remote, but because it's a great track people flock there whether they're obsessive fans or casual fans.

I don't buy this stuff about the Arabs not being "true" F1 fans. Even a multibillionaire doesn't spend 100 million for no reason. It's just cultural elitism- "we were here first so we're the only TRUE fans. You guys just have more money than sense". It occurs to me that even a multibillionaire doesn't spend 100 million for no reason. In addition, China doesn't have much oil. Nor, come to think of it, does Singapore.

Magny Cours is gone because it was a crap track which everyone hated. Good riddance to it.

France should have a GP. Just not at Magny.

And cutting Montreal is a joke. Montreal is in my top five favorite cities in the world. What a place, and what a track. NASCAR's first rain race, one of the best Grands Prix of the year, and Grand-Am's closest finish ever in 08. Good beer, good city. Stupid.

It seems F1 just doesn't like French-speakers, I guess. Watch your back, Jez, unless you change your what's-it-called to F1 Champion in Arabic, you're screwed ;)

how dare you put Monza in that list.

How dare I? :D Oooh I'm scared...

I will put Monza on the list and I don't care. I don't buy all this "Monza is part of F1's DNA" crap. Monza along with Hungaroring has also produced some of the dullest GPs, with least overtaking. Yes I know this year was different, but you can pretty much guarantee its usually 2 hours of no overtaking

That's because real fans were the only ones stupid enough to travel for miles and miles to see the most boring race on the calendar. Spa is almost as remote, but because it's a great track people flock there whether they're obsessive fans or casual fans.

I don't buy this stuff about the Arabs not being "true" F1 fans. Even a multibillionaire doesn't spend 100 million for no reason. It's just cultural elitism- "we were here first so we're the only TRUE fans. You guys just have more money than sense". It occurs to me that even a multibillionaire doesn't spend 100 million for no reason. In addition, China doesn't have much oil. Nor, come to think of it, does Singapore.

Magny Cours is gone because it was a crap track which everyone hated. Good riddance to it.

No, Formula 1 is selling its soul!

I guarantee you that there are more true formula 1 fans in countries like Canada, France, South Africa & America than any Arab country AND yet....

God forbid. We don't want one.

The middle east is full of rich expats anyway, it makes perfect sense to go there.

I don't like the whole "We in Europe and USA are poor so you have to help us"

You want F1 like the millionaires in middle east? Then you have to work hard. Perhaps join the military.

I don't like the whole "We in Europe and USA are poor so you have to help us"

You want F1 like the millionaires in middle east? Then you have to work hard. Perhaps join the military.

Go check which Grand Prix's get the biggest attendances to prove my point about who the true fans are!

Australia had an attendance of 301 000 people over the race weekend of 2007 and yet if Bernie gets his way this GP will soon be axed too.

Bahrain on the other hand barely got a third of that attendance and yet now Bernie has added yet another race in that region for 2009.

Please guys, track selection nowadays is all about what suits Uncle Bern and his back pocket...

If F1 is such a "global sport", why does the 2009 calender have no races on the continents of Africa or North America?