Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ice

Fia Announces Standard Engine Tender

FIA announces standard engine tender

By Jonathan Noble Friday, October 17th 2008, 07:42 GMT

The FIA is to open the tender process for a standard engine in Formula One from 2010, in a move that could drive manufacturers away from the sport.

Mosley wrote to teams last week telling them that he was considering introducing standard engines as a way of driving down costs. It comes ahead of a team principals' meeting in Geneva next week to discuss urgent cost cuts.

It was widely believed that Mosley's threat was simply a way of forcing through other changes, because of the hugely controversial nature of stipulating manufacturers run a standard engine.

However, in a shock statement issued in Shanghai on Friday afternoon, the FIA announced that it was to open the tender for a standard supply of engines - suggesting the plan was going ahead.

The statement read: "The FIA will today open the tender process for the appointment of a third party supplier of engines and transmission systems to be used by competitors in the 2010, 2011 and 2012 FIA Formula One World Championship.

"The tender summary and requirements will be published on the FIA website shortly."

Manufacturers made it clear in Japan last week that they were against the move to a standard engine - and some suggested that they would withdraw from the sport if they were introduced.

McLaren F1 CEO Martin Whitmarsh said about the effect of a standard engine: "It does have a pretty big impact on Formula One

Bugger it. I'm off to watch Formula Palmer Audi. They've got spec engines as well but I don't have to mortgage my house to pay for a ticket.

Bugger it. I'm off to watch Formula Palmer Audi. They've got spec engines as well but I don't have to mortgage my house to pay for a ticket.

That's what I call a subprime.

Huh...

:unsure:

Great news! F1 will be a much better place when we only have one manufacturer, full stop. Having said that, I still wonder if this is just a ruse to get some other, less exciting, change through.

I don't know about you guys but I think this is the stupidest thing the FIA has done to date. I must be honest I don't think I will watch F1 anymore if this becomes a reality. Just imagine a Ferrari with a Mercedes engine or the other way around.

They already have a McLaren ECU, standardised tyres, the same engines as STR and FI, very heavily restricted aerodynamics and a squillion other parts made by other people.

Now Murray must be celebrating... :angry:

Yup. Just think, this will make it easier for Alonso to shine again.

You don't seem to care about the quality of driving at all. You really find watching a Mercedes engine drive round in circles against a Ferrari engine so exciting? Even when you, like everyone else, no nothing about the differences between them, and very little about how they work. Why don't we just stick those engines on a treadmill for 90mins and really see which one is best?

So long as the engines still sound like Formula 1's and not like a Datsun Palsur with branches and a freeflow exhaust...

You don't seem to care about the quality of driving at all. You really find watching a Mercedes engine drive round in circles against a Ferrari engine so exciting? Even when you, like everyone else, no nothing about the differences between them, and very little about how they work. Why don't we just stick those engines on a treadmill for 90mins and really see which one is best?

Well, I know we use terms like a 'running engine', but it doesn't mean that kind of running :whistling::lol:

Seriously, though, it's like everything in life, Muzza, there's a 'balance'. I like seeing driver skill as much as you do, but it's only a part of the equation. How much of the equation is down to individual preference. For example, in TF1 terms you would have you and DOF at the extreme ends of the equation an the rest of us will be spread out in between :lol:

You are not serious this time.

ARE YOU?

:mf_tongue:

They could standardise anything but the engine. It's a joke. IT IS! What would be the meaning of Mercedes, BMW, Renault, Ferrari... on the car? The engine and the chasis/body cannot be standardised or Formula One would be surpased by a new formula. Fuel could be standardised but those companies are sponsors while they are providers... That's completely crazy.

Well, I know we use terms like a 'running engine', but it doesn't mean that kind of running :whistling::lol:

Seriously, though, it's like everything in life, Muzza, there's a 'balance'. I like seeing driver skill as much as you do, but it's only a part of the equation. How much of the equation is down to individual preference. For example, in TF1 terms you would have you and DOF at the extreme ends of the equation an the rest of us will be spread out in between :lol:

:lol: Yeah, very good*! Btw it's interesting: they do test engines on glorified treadmills when they're developing them, and likewise when they're developing fuels and lubricants.

Yeah I know my individual preferences are unusual on TF1. But I'm not one to compromise when there's quality winding up to be done. Besides, it just doesn't make sense to be interested in the technical side of F1. It's like a self-regulating thing: anyone who's interested enough to find out anything about the science of F1 will soon learn that F1 is quite mundane in the grand scheme of things, and become less interested.

*Not as good as my spelling mistake in my other post, though.

You are not serious this time.

ARE YOU?

:mf_tongue:

They could standardise anything but the engine. It's a joke. IT IS! What would be the meaning of Mercedes, BMW, Renault, Ferrari... on the car? The engine and the chasis/body cannot be standardised or Formula One would be surpased by a new formula. Fuel could be standardised but those companies are sponsors while they are providers... That's completely crazy.

:lol: I want the best drivers to shine. I don't think the cars would be surpassed. The thing that determines the technology is the money, and F1 will always be the biggest racing series of its kind, so will always outspend IRL/CCWS/GP2.

So...we have ONE ECU, ONE tire provider, will have ONE engine and (soon) just ONE track left thanks to Bernie's greed and economic crysis.

Finally, it would have but ONE loyal fan left (Muzza)

Then, it would be worthy of being called Formula ONE.

So...we have ONE ECU, ONE tire provider, will have ONE engine and (soon) just ONE track left thanks to Bernie's greed and economic crysis.

Ahhhh yes :)

It makes no sense for manufacturers to agree to this. Why on earth would Ferrari, or Renault, or BMW, or Mercedes, or Honda, or Toyota want to run with someone else's engine, say why noy, Mazda? It's the kind of absurdity that only the likes of Murray could cheer on.

This is the day F1 died.

The only good news is that FIA's sepukku forces the manufacturers to _finally_ create an alternative, worthy competition...

:lol: good ONE Andres

Great news! F1 will be a much better place when we only have one manufacturer, full stop. Having said that, I still wonder if this is just a ruse to get some other, less exciting, change through.

They already have a McLaren ECU, standardised tyres, the same engines as STR and FI, very heavily restricted aerodynamics and a squillion other parts made by other people.

F1 is, primarily, a constructors championship. The drivers championship is an adjunct. Paul, like most of us, views the competition as a combination of both. Take one away and the series is diminished. If I want to see a contest that concentrates solely on driver skill then I'll look elsewhere (and do). If I want to see a contest that is driven purely by the need to overcome technical obstacles then I'll look elsewhere (and do).

As to what I do and do not know, well that's something I'm pretty confident that you don't know. ^_^

:roll: Sounds good. But wait, who will I wind up then....

You'll be alone posting on a forum winding up yourself. :lol:

lolz is all I have to say to that. Max is even alienating Ferrari with this. And if Ferrari decides to leave F1 then its Bye Bye F1. especially in all those oil rich countries and the far east.

no matter how much you don't want to admit it but if Ferrari leaves F1 dies because Ferrari "fans" make up over half the people who attend races. Half of those "fans" only go to races anyway because they want to see a Ferrari in general and if there isn't one they would not show up and the other half are real Ferrari fans that would leave just the same.

was a good plan by Ferrari really to grow a legion of fans for a car and not necessarily the drivers

It's just politics and it's not gonna happen.

The whole point of Grand Prix racing is the team/manufacturer technological battle, the clear separation of winners and losers.

Bernie and Max are not gonna live forever and if F1 is to die, so be it, rather that this prostitution. The next series or future of F1 formulae will have to restore the spirit of Grand Prix racing, catch up to survive and innovate to win.

I am sure the tender will be rigged so that Ferrari win the contract.

This is so hilarious, I can't stop laughing imagining all the people on this forum when they would have read this thread. Doh!_No_More_Renault_BMW spilling his drink all over his computer :lol:

Ron having to field Mclaren-Ferraris :lol:

Seriously, who cares? Everyone complained about the engine freeze and noone even notices any more - people have been celebrating all the different winners this year - That would not have happened without the engine freeze

Innovation in F1 is overrated.

Best solution:

Bring Cosworth back in. Neutral and they already have an existing V8 which they can improve and sell to all the teams :D

It's just politics and it's not gonna happen.

The whole point of Grand Prix racing is the team/manufacturer technological battle, the clear separation of winners and losers.

Aww you're in denial ^_^

....people have been celebrating all the different winners this year - That would not have happened without the engine freeze

Are you sure?

Are you sure?

Well that and customer cars - which people seem to hate as well. Yet I didn't see anyone complain about Fettel kid's win :S

HAVE THEY LOST THEIR MIND?!?! (obvious answer) for God's shake, i dont want to see a common series with Fiat Seicentos or Leon...

F1 is the king of motorsports and thats what attracts big manufacters...ok, lets have one car for everyone which is exactly the same, excuse me but i want to see what's the best every manufacter has to offer, the highest end technology in the world! and besides...less engine manufacters= less money for the sport...(oh, that hurt,did it Bernie?)

...and so we reach the conclusion...(i am sure that will cause a huge explosion) -just guess which engine they are going to choose- lets have definetely the sport they want and love: Ferrari-1

BRING PORSCHE, BRING LAMBORGHINI BACK INSTEAD (why not Buggatti too :P ) and allow them a maximum budget to design and built an engine with no restrictions, just the cost! wouldnt be that nice?

The Cosworth era saw the decline of racing in Grand Prix racing.

With no engine differences for most cars and the safety chicanes added it was the tires that made the difference, with people joking that the car has become an accessory of the tires.

The overtaking figures for Autocourse that I have show that overtaking has increased with the decline of the Cosworth and progress of the turbos coupled to ground-effects cars and the early big wing cars.

1982 and 1984 being the best years in recent times.

The last great/epic Cosworth era race was the Monza 1971 Grand Prix (that's the last year before the chicanes). And it was due to the slip-streaming nature of the track.

Monaco in the 70s was about similarly boring to this year's Valencia race, with the difference of the 14 cars pile up. But then again there wasn't any epic Monaco Grand Prix since 1934.