Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

pumpdoc

Favorite Sayings

So its true, then - it *does* make you go blind?! :)

yse fo coorsit deos!

I have an old member, I am not an old member :)

Who's is that then? :P

Meanwhile, back on thread.......... "L'eau est-elle potable, ou a-t-elle le gout de p**se, comme votre biere?",

and

"Vos grandparents qu'ont-ils fait dans la guerre?" were some we learnt when driving through France when their farmers blockaded the ports.

What fun... :lol:

In The Third Man, during a tense meeting between Holly Martins (Joseph Cotton) and Harry Lime (Orson Welles), Lime tells his old friend not to worry about things dark and amoral. He concludes their talk with a famous coda:

"It's like the man said, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, bloodshed-- but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love, they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

In The Third Man, during a tense meeting between Holly Martins (Joseph Cotton) and Harry Lime (Orson Welles), Lime tells his old friend not to worry about things dark and amoral. He concludes their talk with a famous coda:

"It's like the man said, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, bloodshed-- but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love, they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

:clap3: fantastic and I am going to Switzerland tomorrow!

That one reminds me of a quote from W.Faulkner: "If a writer has to rob his mother, he will not hesitate; the Ode to a Grecian Urn is worth any number of old ladies"

That one reminds me of a quote from W.Faulkner: "If a writer has to rob his mother, he will not hesitate; the Ode to a Grecian Urn is worth any number of old ladies"

YES!! I know this quote. Any writer worth his salt thinks the same way.

You forgot about that rubbery cheese with all the holes in it. And Peter Sauber.

From Robert Towne's superb script, Chinatown:

As their meetings and exchanges become more heated J.J. Gittes (Jack Nicholson) queries the utterly corrupt Noah Cross (John Huston) about his ability to attain his goals, and Cross answers accordingly: "Because I'm respectable. I'm old. Politicians, ugly buildings and whores all get respectable if they last long enough."

Still on the subject of war:

If we let people see that kind of thing, there would never again be any war. (Pentagon official explaining why the U.S. military censored graphic footage from the Gulf War)

Welcome. To the desert of the real.

From Braveheart. Stephen, the irish bloke. 'Hang on lads, let me just ask him... (Looks toward the sky and mutters then looks back toward William Wallace) ... 'The Almighty says I'm alright. BUT YOU'RE F*CKED!'

I must study politics and war that my sons may have liberty to study mathematics and philosophy.

or the longer quote:

I must study politics and war that my sons may have liberty to study mathematics and philosophy. My sons ought to study mathematics and philosophy, geography, natural history, naval architecture, navigation, commerce and agriculture in order to give their children a right to study painting, poetry, music, architecture, statuary, tapestry, and porcelain.

--John Adams.

"It is error alone which needs the support of government. Truth

can stand by itself." --Thomas Jefferson: Notes on Virginia, 1782.

"We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking

we used when we created them."--Albert Einstein

"A gun is not an argument."--Ayn Rand-Capitalism:The Unknown Ideal

Just a few of my favorites. My grandmother used to collect quotes and

keep them in a scrapbook which i got after she passed away.

I collect them too, only i keep them on my HDD.:D

I was in Baghdad when you were in your Dad's bag.

She had a pussy like a Wizard's sleeve.

Cats with one eye usually turn out to be one with two eyes walking backwards.

She had a pussy like a Wizard's sleeve.

So many names for the same thing :lol: I like the phrases "spearing the bearded clam" and "playing hide the sausage".

Long time i had English snooker playing boyfriend, he comes up, behind me, and he saying all the time -

'hmm, do i go for easy pink or difficult brown'.

I left because he thought more of his long pole than me. I do not mean Robert Kubica. I mean big thing he uses for stupid game pushing balls round table.

"Life is like a game of cards-you've got to do the best with what you've been dealt"

You won't miss the water 'till the well dries up.

One day your life will flash before your eyes, make sure it is worth watching.

------------------------------------

Although these are just quotes, I don't use them as sayings in everyday life.

.....One day your life will flash before your eyes, make sure it is worth watching.....

:thbup: That's a corker areola rainm... George, is that you? b*****d Nivola. The best yet.

I'm going to blatantly steal it.... :P