Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

goferrarigo

Mistakes By Drivers

Critical errors - the mistakes that could decide the title

To win a world championship you invariably have to win races, something Lewis Hamilton and Felipe Massa have each achieved five times thus far this season. You also have to be error free, or very close to it. A driver can make no more than one mistake in winning the title, or so the old saying goes.

This year it

Yep. It sums it up. Massa has made many errors and yet fewer than Hamilton. Let the best of the worst win.

So, what's on the track? Concern, concern that Hamilton will choke again which is justified. Still, choking is not an issue of skill (but of mental fortitude) so he is everyone's favorite over Massa. That (skill) and a 7 point lead.

What to expect? Another random race. Odds over the season favor a clown race. An embarrasing showing by Ferrari and Hamilton is likely.

What will happen? It's become impossible to care. F1 fans will watch hoping to see a "decent" race and that's about it.

Massa has done the better job overall this year but of course I will be hoping Lewis wins anyway. 'Cos I'm a bigot. In any case, Lewis has shown far more promise than Massa did at the same stage. He'll go on to become a worthy WDC.

Great Britain:

Both Massa and his tyres fail to get to grips with the tricky conditions at a rain-hit Silverstone. He trails home 13th and last after surviving five spins.

Remember, for all his mistakes, Hamilton was also the most consisten with scoring nessesary points. I think this race ALONE at Silverstone does it for me....He went off like 5 times and Hamilton once in torrential rain... not the mark of a worthy champion. The way Massa let Hamilton pass (I think Hungary) does not do it for me once again, I think a rookie would've done better. Massa's attitude when dropped down to last position at Singapore is another no no.....Hitting Lewis deliberately at Japan another no-no.... We not only have to look at mistake free racing, but what it requires to be champion, balls out driving at crucial moments (Massa comes to mind once at with that overtaking manouvre at the start after analyzing the gp2 race-start) - meaning attributes of worthy champions... etc etc

The last pressure-driven race defines it all for me.... When Hamilton drove to a flawless victory under enormous pressure, being fast when he had too. Massa seems to have fallen away the last 2 races, when it is clearly pressure time. I absolutely hated what he said about the team-order pass post-conference when he overtook Kimi). I've tried to be unbiassed the last 2 races, but it just did'nt do it for me...I really hope Lewis wins this year's championship

Massa has done the better job overall this year but of course I will be hoping Lewis wins anyway. 'Cos I'm a bigot. In any case, Lewis has shown far more promise than Massa did at the same stage. He'll go on to become a worthy WDC.

Does that make you Lewisteric or whatever?

Remember, for all his mistakes, Hamilton was also the most consisten with scoring nessesary points. I think this race ALONE at Silverstone does it for me....He went off like 5 times and Hamilton once in torrential rain... not the mark of a worthy champion. The way Massa let Hamilton pass (I think Hungary) does not do it for me once again, I think a rookie would've done better. Massa's attitude when dropped down to last position at Singapore is another no no.....Hitting Lewis deliberately at Japan another no-no.... We not only have to look at mistake free racing, but what it requires to be champion, balls out driving at crucial moments (Massa comes to mind once at with that overtaking manouvre at the start after analyzing the gp2 race-start) - meaning attributes of worthy champions... etc etc

The last pressure-driven race defines it all for me.... When Hamilton drove to a flawless victory under enormous pressure, being fast when he had too. Massa seems to have fallen away the last 2 races, when it is clearly pressure time. I absolutely hated what he said about the team-order pass post-conference when he overtook Kimi). I've tried to be unbiassed the last 2 races, but it just did'nt do it for me...I really hope Lewis wins this year's championship

Brad, I believe it's more than obvious to anyone that the Ferrari car is very unpredictable in the rain. It's said to wear the tires very little or less than the Mclaren if you like and subsequently doesn't heat them up enough when the temperatures drop. Massa doesn't have the best reputation in the rain but lets not forget Kimi has suffered from a severe lack of grip in the rain as well. I don't think they forgot how to drive in the wet in a single year! Nevertheless FM said they had made significant progress about this issue at the last test!

Let's hope they did because we may have rain again!

The point is they all make mistakes though.

Whoever ends up with the most points is the deserved winner.

Yup, I agree. Over the course of the season you make your own luck anyway.

It is a fact that you are a bigot. All one has to do is read your tirades against Spaniards, for example, or how you jump to defend bigots of your same ilk.

And it is a fact that Hamilton has done worse than Massa (who, in turn, has done poorly at best). Even Cavallino, a brainiac by Dribbler's standards, is eager to tell you all about it before he becomes confused and tells you the exact opposite.

Hamilton worthy of WDC? As much as Massa if he wins. Two and the same, both have their drives because of who they know rather than what they've achieved. The season has shown to what brutal extent this is so.

Thus, utter indifference towards the outcome.

To er is human to forgive is divine .

Mistakes this year have been probably no more, no less than any other average year. But they've been more spectacular, that I give you.

Giving it further thought, I must say that Hamilton woul be a more interesting champion than Massa. On Massa's favor, though I must say that, despite his infamous 5 spins in one race, which could be easily attributed to some really bad setup, Massa didn't make anything even close to Hamilton's worse blunders namely, his crash against Kimi, his way-too-aggressive approach which would be something for the future generations to praise, if it weren't that more often than not, it worked against him rather than in his favor. If LH is currently the best positioned driver for the WDC, it isn't because he kept pushing everybody aside, but by means of his smoother drivings a la Silverstone. Still, when he is inspired, he is miles above Massa. When Massa is inspired, on the other hand, he never looked miles above Hamilton.

No matter what, I will still consider Alonso the best all around driver until Lewis stops being so prone to self destruct every other race, or until Kubica feels comfy enough with some car/team combination that could unleash his potential. Right now my ranking is: Alonso-Kubi-Lewis. Heck, even Martin Brundle recently conceded that Nando is the best driver out there :P

Mistakes this year have been probably no more, no less than any other average year. But they've been more spectacular, that I give you.

Giving it further thought, I must say that Hamilton woul be a more interesting champion than Massa. On Massa's favor, though I must say that, despite his infamous 5 spins in one race, which could be easily attributed to some really bad setup, Massa didn't make anything even close to Hamilton's worse blunders namely, his crash against Kimi, his way-too-aggressive approach which would be something for the future generations to praise, if it weren't that more often than not, it worked against him rather than in his favor. If LH is currently the best positioned driver for the WDC, it isn't because he kept pushing everybody aside, but by means of his smoother drivings a la Silverstone. Still, when he is inspired, he is miles above Massa. When Massa is inspired, on the other hand, he never looked miles above Hamilton.

No matter what, I will still consider Alonso the best all around driver until Lewis stops being so prone to self destruct every other race, or until Kubica feels comfy enough with some car/team combination that could unleash his potential. Right now my ranking is: Alonso-Kubi-Lewis. Heck, even Martin Brundle recently conceded that Nando is the best driver out there :P

Bah, you have to wait for James Allen to agree for it to be legal :P

Nah, I agree with your post, just that all this "all-rounder" stuff is not for me, I still prefer speed above everything else, and that's why I support Kimi. And Hamilton managed to fcuk up precisely this Kimi that I support(Canada is just too embarassing to remember...) so I'm all for burning him at the stake :P

if neither made mistakes we'll still be in the same position now with both drivers able to win the World Championship.

So all these "what if" questions aren't valid.

Once the chequered flag comes out in Brazil will shall find out whos the worthy champion...

But still, the British media will be maligned.... :P

In a team set up around him, Nando is the best at the moment, as I've said for several years. Whether he's the best when in the same team as another top driver is an open question imho. Renault's own remarks suggest he might not be.

Lewis has made a ton of mistakes this year (and last) so I'd say there have been more this season than most. But every driver makes mistakes when young. Heck, even Alonso's had some very scrappy races this year and he's experienced and not under much pressure. If Lewis can learn to cut out his hot-headedness and improve technically I think he will overtake Alonso and dominate, with Kubica his main rival, possibly with Vettel too.

Remember, for all his mistakes, Hamilton was also the most consisten with scoring nessesary points (...etc etc)..I really hope Lewis wins this year's championship

Good post.

Mistakes this year have been probably no more, no less than any other average year (...etc etc). Heck, even Martin Brundle recently conceded that Nando is the best driver out there :P

Yes also a good post. The point being that Hamilton is capable of things Massa isn't, which shows through the most when it rains.

It's an interesting exercise, studying the number of errors but i believe it does little to alter the real picture. That picture is the one we paint in our minds. It disregards mechanical failures or unforced errors. Instead it relies on the instinct of the informed observer. I'm not informed (I'll leave that to the ones here who are) but my instinct tells me that Lewis is the natural talent. The one that hasn't needed hand-holding or endless phone calls to mentors, the boy has got it. He makes mistakes and he will make more but in the process he'll knock on the door of real greatness more times than Felipe will. c#ck sure, unpopular, i don't give a sh!t. These things are not important when judging working the wheel. Yeah, Felipe is a great bloke; wears his heart on his sleeve, what you see is what you get, no pretence, I love it. But he'll never be nasty enough to be great. I want the best driver to be a villain. Let them all chase him, hate him.

Numbers lie. Lewis may lose this championship to Massa. Look at Vettel. Those numbers lie too. That boy has more talent in his left ear lobe than Felipe ever will. He's raised eyebrows and muscled around in the same vain as Ayrton in a doggy Lotus, a Donington '93 McLaren. Not a popular view with all, I know, but that's my take.

Lewis, on it, is a sight to behold. Massa is functional.

I hate to agree with the above but I must.

Lewis drove much better and scored much better last year.

I'd rather see him take the title, if he is to, in style.

Hamilton has had the luck, but in future years, we'd all probably say that Lewis had the speed and very much deserved to win.

Maybe the points margin after the last race will be very wide. If for instance Hamilton wins and Massa doesn't finish. It'll be a huge gap that will rather flatter him, I think.