Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fed up

Driver Of The Season - 2008

Driver of the season 2008  

61 members have voted

1. 1. Your choice(s)

• Lewis
    • Felipe
    • Kimi
    • Kubica
    • Nando
    • Nick
    • Kovy
    • Vettel
    • Jarno
    • Timo
    • Other

Lewis...he had the most points at the end. Which makes him the best.

Massa...he had the most wins at the end. Which also makes him the best.

Alonso...because I'm an Alonsteric or an accent or whatever they call us.

Lewis...he had the most points at the end. Which makes him the best.

Massa...he had the most wins at the end. Which also makes him the best.

Alonso...because I'm an Alonsteric or an accent or whatever they call us.

Because in a Sh#tty car has the same number of wins as a guy we thought would be a "title contender" and also for scoring the most points since Spa (I think it stands true even after this race).

Vettel for winning in a Toro Rosso!! Yeah! (Sorry, I'm an official Vettel supporter from now on, bear with it everyone!)

Felipe. Most improved.

Because in a Sh#tty car has the same number of wins as a guy we thought would be a "title contender" and also for scoring the most points since Spa (I think it stands true even after this race).

Don't bring that up...some guy named Button did that once and it was all down hill from there... :P

Don't bring that up...some guy named Button did that once and it was all down hill from there... :P

Hahahah, I never knew, just wanted to make a point. By the way, your sig looks cool, I'll need one, but where do I fit Kimi, Massa, Hamilton, Alonso, Kubica and Vettel?? That's not gonna be easy! XD

(I refuse to have a sig with only the drivers I support, this way is better!)

Hmm, for the whole season, that's a toughy, for sure.

Alonso wasn't that impressive in the first half, but then drove with his 2006 magic in the last races, I still like the way he goes about racing. I hope he's towards the front throughout 2009, it's far more interesting with him there.

Lewis, well he won the title so I have to mention him, but he made some very silly mistakes, saying that he is (or was) a semi-rookie so I will excuse him of those errors. More important than the errors was the way he responded to media pressure and criticism by winning at Silverstone in terrible conditions. Despite everyone speaking about Massa's improvements over the year, I think Hammy has also improved a lot this year, a much wiser head on his shoulders now. All in all, the boy done good.

As for Massa, well he really has improved a lot, and he's mounted a serious challenge, and he beat Kimi Raikkonen. He did a pretty great job and responded to pressure well, he also silenced a few critics (but not me, you will never silence me).

Vettel put in some fine driving, I think he has been on it since they introduced the newer Toro Rosso at Monaco. He was helped by a Ferrari engine, and a chassis which liked wet conditions, but you can't take anything away from him, he is a gifted and complete driver imo.

Kubica, well I saved the best until last, Robert Kubica was the driver of 2008. I don't really think the guy is as complete as Alonso, as gifted as Vettel, or has the potential of Lewis, but this season, he proved himself.

Not gonna let the last race fool me... Kubica, Vettel, Nando.

Kubica still in the title fight after 16 races, that asks for respect. Nando is Nando and Vettel is so full of promise he might just explode.

yay lets make seb win, letrs make seb win *overexcited after meeting seb again*

The absurdity of F1 is such that you could make a strong case for any of Vettel, Alonso, Kubica, Felipe or Lewis being the best over the season. Imho Lewis had the best best races but also the worst worst ones; finally he came good in the last 2 races. Vettel was outstanding in wet conditions but his teammate was often almost as special, which suggests that that STR was largely responsible. Alonso came closest to eclipsing Hamilton's disasters, but also had some very impressive results and consistency in the latter stages of the year. Kubica was perhaps the most consistently impressive but with his teammate's awful qualifying pace, it's hard to gauge just how well he did. Overall I'll vote for Alonso and Kubica, but I think Lewis has the potential to beat both of them.

Hmm, for the whole season, that's a toughy, for sure.

Alonso wasn't that impressive in the first half, but then drove with his 2006 magic in the last races, I still like the way he goes about racing. I hope he's towards the front throughout 2009, it's far more interesting with him there.

Lewis, well he won the title so I have to mention him, but he made some very silly mistakes, saying that he is (or was) a semi-rookie so I will excuse him of those errors. More important than the errors was the way he responded to media pressure and criticism by winning at Silverstone in terrible conditions. Despite everyone speaking about Massa's improvements over the year, I think Hammy has also improved a lot this year, a much wiser head on his shoulders now. All in all, the boy done good.

As for Massa, well he really has improved a lot, and he's mounted a serious challenge, and he beat Kimi Raikkonen. He did a pretty great job and responded to pressure well, he also silenced a few critics (but not me, you will never silence me).

Vettel put in some fine driving, I think he has been on it since they introduced the newer Toro Rosso at Monaco. He was helped by a Ferrari engine, and a chassis which liked wet conditions, but you can't take anything away from him, he is a gifted and complete driver imo.

Kubica, well I saved the best until last, Robert Kubica was the driver of 2008. I don't really think the guy is as complete as Alonso, as gifted as Vettel, or has the potential of Lewis, but this season, he proved himself.

Great post, I agree with every word :D

* Thanks George you saved me some valuable time!!!

When did Alonso ever have disasters in the first half of the season? "came closest the eclipsing Hamilton's disasters..." Yeah right.

The car was rubbish. It couldn't make it into the top 10.

With improvements made to the car (i'm sure that they turned the engine power up also) and a bit of luck, he was really kicking arse at the end of the season.

Are you sure??? Agreed he started well but seemed to lose his mojo towards the end, unlike Vettel who just seemed to get better. And Piotr before you send a plague of frogs in my direction, I think Kubi is good, but not sure if I would call him driver of 2008 because of the drop off in his performance.

agreed, and he was also the most consistent.....

He what?? And where was Kubica, still in contention after Japan in a BMW that was increasingly crappier compared to the rest of teams (bar Honda and FI) ?? Not exactly his fault that his team thought that a lucky victory was a season fulfillment for them.

He what?? And where was Kubica, still in contention after Japan in a BMW that was increasingly crappier compared to the rest of teams (bar Honda and FI) ?? Not exactly his fault that his team thought that a lucky victory was a season fulfillment for them.

yes, also not his fault he faded away like he did..... :(

You remind me of the harsh reality, drivers could go as wasted talents if they end up driving the wrong cars.

When did Alonso ever have disasters in the first half of the season? "came closest the eclipsing Hamilton's disasters..." Yeah right.

Monaco was pathetic. I'd say that rivals Hamilton's worst races. He was beaten by Piquet in France, and spun in a few other mediocre races.

Also I do think Kubica fell off a bit towards the end compared to Nick, so imho it wasn't just the car.

Not gonna let the last race fool me... Kubica, Vettel, Nando.

Kubica still in the title fight after 16 races, that asks for respect. Nando is Nando and Vettel is so full of promise he might just explode.

Same here although one should note that Alonso's 2nd in Brazil is misleading. Kimi didn't push.

Still.

Kubica would have been a very serious contender if BMW had backed him up. If McLaren and Ferrari are sinking deep because of management errors, BMW takes the crown here. To make matters worse, it is very difficult to tell, like with the other two teams, if they will learn from their mistakes... for instance, Hiedfeld _behind_ Alonso in the classification. Insulting.

Alonso first overdrove his lemon but, then, end it up scoring more points than _anyone_ (including the goofs fighting for the WDC) in the last _eight_ races... still with a much inferior car.

Vettel, period. Hamilton could not catch him. Again. Hamilton was set to lose the WDC because he could not catch Vettel. Again. Vettel driving a much much inferior car run past Hamilton. Again. Vettel passed Hamilton and pull away. Again... get it?

These three guys have something else in common. Unlike Massa and Hamilton, they don't have friends in high places to put an entire team at their feet regardless of their skill and performance. This is something that Alonso should think carefully about and, perhaps, built Renault around him. Vettel, well, if he is given a car capable of winning soon, many (including Hamilton) will cease to exist. And Kubica, the one that remains the most screwed of the three and with less chances of breaking free of it.