Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fed up

What's Not To Like

Well I don't really care about their personalities and it is a pointless discussion unless you are a fanboy. Its their delivery on track that matters.

F1 drivers are just like most other celebs - overpaid, insecure, arrogant... but then that's what helps them do what they do.

(apart from Emma Bunton who is always lovely :D )

This is where you and I part ways (amicably) - I like your posts on Honda and your faith in Jenson is admirable, but I think you are way too opinionated when it comes to Hamilton.

:lol: Pot. Kettle. Black.

You know, Jenson's dad was also the epitome of smarm when Jenson was doing well and there was arguably more fuss when Button won his one and only GP - he will never win another too.

:lol: Smarm? So, its not ok for John Button to celebrate his son's victory - but its ok for Anthony Hamilton to celebrate? Oh, sorry. I forgot. You're always right, aren't you?

You seem to know a lot about f1 yet somehow you allow your personal dislike of an individual to cloud your judgement here. F1 is about driving ability not personality - If prizes were given for personality the likes of DC, Ruebens, Sato and Wurz would win it year in year out.

:lol: I think its called being human. My judgement has been clouded a few times. But then again, I must apologise. You're never wrong, are you?

I won't expect a reply - I may be too intelligent to warrant one.

Bah... you guys are just letting your excessive love for Hamilton cloud your judgement too, so what? Accept it and let us live with our bias, all right?

Indeed, girl! If I was to say Alonso was better than Lewis - I wouldn't be able to see the Maure's from the Fed Up's.

I think it's fair to say that Insider hates Hamilton's guts! Join the Hamilton Haters club along with maure, AleHop (if he's still around) & all the other Ferrari fanboys!

You still Havn't introduced you Dad's Fiancee to this forum! :D

Fair does and I've got to admit that I prefer Hamilton to most but I also hope to watch and not mind who wins.

So you confess you are a Hamilton Fan! You can join our church Team F1! :D

So you confess you are a Hamilton Fan! You can join our church Team F1! :D

:yes:

Where's Puma, the High Priest? haven't heard from him for a while now :(

What's not to like about Spewy Hambone? 1. He's arrogant in the extreme. 2. He drives for the most nauseating team on the grid. 3. I hate his sideburns - they're stupid. 4. His father is the epitome of 'smarm'. A lot of fuss over someone who has won his one and only WDC - he will never win another. End of.

Dang! Harsh critic!

Strange thread this.

Personalities? Purely opinion, so poor 'ol Fed Up will get a bashin' from some, not from others. Talent, skill? He's bloody good, especially gifted, has the chance to grow into something awesome.... a couple of others do to, Vettel being one of them.

Back to the personality, the Marmite syndrome that Steph mentioned - comparing Lewis's personality to some of those previously mentioned:

.....is a non-starter. Lewis has the originality of plastic bling, he sounds like such a twat, a broken record, it's like trying to buy a leather Chesterfield sofa from DFS and telling your mates it's genuine - poor lad has as much personality as he's allowed to have, he's paid a price for the way he's got where he has.

BUT, I'd ask, what the feck does anyone expect? Seriously, if you'd been dedicated and encouraged from such an early age, living and breathing your dream and goal (living your fathers expectations is painful...) at the expense of missing out on other things kids do, don't we think our personality might be different? I'd certainly be twice the tit I am now... then throw in a few million quid, having to watch my gob in front of cameras, beautiful women wanting to play with my manly vegetables etc etc........ Some have compared this situation to Button (which I think is fair comparison), yet he's grown up. So will Hamster, I hope.

So why aren't Vettel, Kubica etc not like this (yet!)? We're all different :P

Well put sir.

I like Lewis because I like his driving. Despite his occasional goofs, for a youngster he's one of the best on the grid. I can't really judge him for his personality because I haven't had the chance to hang out with the guy to see what he's like.

Some people treat F1 more as a soap opera, using their impressions of driver personalities (loosly based on reality) to decide who they hate and who they love. We've all been in the mood to throw cheap shots at drivers, but it's Christmas! So can't we all be brothers?

:yes:

Where's Puma, the High Priest? haven't heard from him for a while now :(

He has appointed me as the High Priest now. He has gained the Prophecy and has gone visiting other places to spread the true message, art of choking and winning on the last lap.

People are always having a go at Hamilton but I'm always surprised at how everyone misses the biggest tosser of them all, Kimi Raikkonen.

Arrogance is pushing a photographer over on his arse, and not batting an eyelid when a little girl gets bashed over by a stampeding fan right next to him.

This is where you and I part ways (amicably) - I like your posts on Honda and your faith in Jenson is admirable, but I think you are way too opinionated when it comes to Hamilton. You know, Jenson's dad was also the epitome of smarm when Jenson was doing well and there was arguably more fuss when Button won his one and only GP - he will never win another too :P

You seem to know a lot about f1 yet somehow you allow your personal dislike of an individual to cloud your judgement here. F1 is about driving ability not personality - If prizes were given for personality the likes of DC, Ruebens, Sato and Wurz would win it year in year out.

I never liked Schumacher either but I conceded he was in a class of his own - the same went for Senna. Nevertheless, I have to introduce MS into the equation to bring this whole Hamilton thing into perspective. Hamilton blew the WDC last year due to rookie foul-ups and only scrapped it by the skin of his teeth and the luck of Jove this past season. Granted, he's as quick as any other of the other rookies out there but he's immensely lucky to have had superior equipment from Day 1, nine million hours in a simulator and no Schui to beat. If Jens had been given the same sort of treatment and kit, he would certainly have gone very close indeed. As it was, after fours seasons of being supplied with extremely mediocre machinery, he got a very decent car in '05 at BAR and ended the season third overall, behind the two dominant Ferrari drivers, with 85 points. I feel Hamilton would not have achieved equal results, given the same circumstances. No-one could have beaten MS in that era - that's for sure. Then the contract thing got silly for JB, he was poorly advised by those close to him, Honda became very Japanese, produced a string of ghastly cars and finally quit.

LH is a car slinger - a charger like Mansell and could be as good, one day. Unfortunately, he will never have the smoothness of a JB or the icy brain of an MS and you need both those qualities to be a consistent winner. He may win the WDC again but I doubt it. It will very much depend on the car, I'm afraid. Luca Di Montezuma made it clear last week that he would rather have a Massa than a Hamilton. That speaks volumes for me.

I never liked Schumacher either but I conceded he was in a class of his own - the same went for Senna. Nevertheless, I have to introduce MS into the equation to bring this whole Hamilton thing into perspective. Hamilton blew the WDC last year due to rookie foul-ups and only scrapped it by the skin of his teeth and the luck of Jove this past season. Granted, he's as quick as any other of the other rookies out there but he's immensely lucky to have had superior equipment from Day 1, nine million hours in a simulator and no Schui to beat. If Jens had been given the same sort of treatment and kit, he would certainly have gone very close indeed. As it was, after fours seasons of being supplied with extremely mediocre machinery, he got a very decent car in '05 at BAR and ended the season third overall, behind the two dominant Ferrari drivers, with 85 points. I feel Hamilton would not have achieved equal results, given the same circumstances. No-one could have beaten MS in that era - that's for sure. Then the contract thing got silly for JB, he was poorly advised by those close to him, Honda became very Japanese, produced a string of ghastly cars and finally quit.

LH is a car slinger - a charger like Mansell and could be as good, one day. Unfortunately, he will never have the smoothness of a JB or the icy brain of an MS and you need both those qualities to be a consistent winner. He may win the WDC again but I doubt it. It will very much depend on the car, I'm afraid. Luca Di Montezuma made it clear last week that he would rather have a Massa than a Hamilton. That speaks volumes for me.

I agree about MS.

I agree about LH blowing his chance last season, but you have to keep in mind about his experience and age level at that time, yet he managed to be the youngest WDC this season, speaks volumes for me.

I agree about LH having some simulator experience and other facilities which most of the drivers on the grid never enjoy, but you have to keep in mind testing has been limited and during MS' s era Ferrari used to test more than anyother team (if I am wrong, sorry do correct me) and had their own test track (they still have and I am going to visit soon). No other GP driver has ever or will ever have the kind of support MS had. Not that I say MS won only due to the support he had, but he simply won the support itself. You say how good JB could have been and about his smooth driving style etc, ifs or nots, but he has screwed his career with many off track discessions which required some brains, JB has only himself to blame, while Lewis and his family worked hard to reach this stage which you call as 'LUCKY', he was not lucky but he won his luck, speaks volumes for me.

You talk about LH having no MS to challenge, but you are forgetting who his team mate was, Fernando Alonso if you forgot, the only driver to have beatten MS since Mika. LH managed to equal him or beat him (what many consider), and this year FM was no mid field driver playing second fiddle to the best paid driver, FM was WDC material, with tutor MS on the background, Lewis manged to (just) beat him on the last lap and last corner, not because he was lucky, but determined never to give up.

For many drivers it took several seasons to reach a mature level to even finish on podiums despite having good cars, while Lewis started showing that he is a WDC material right from the start which is no fluke, speaks volumes for me.

Your posts on Honda and other things seem very interesting to read, but you somehow mange to allow you dislike for LH speak no to clever volumes for you.

I agree about MS.

I agree about LH blowing his chance last season, but you have to keep in mind about his experience and age level at that time, yet he managed to be the youngest WDC this season, speaks volumes for me.

I agree about LH having some simulator experience and other facilities which most of the drivers on the grid never enjoy, but you have to keep in mind testing has been limited and during MS' s era Ferrari used to test more than anyother team (if I am wrong, sorry do correct me) and had their own test track (they still have and I am going to visit soon). No other GP driver has ever or will ever have the kind of support MS had. Not that I say MS won only due to the support he had, but he simply won the support itself. You say how good JB could have been and about his smooth driving style etc, ifs or nots, but he has screwed his career with many off track discessions which required some brains, JB has only himself to blame, while Lewis and his family worked hard to reach this stage which you call as 'LUCKY', he was not lucky but he won his luck, speaks volumes for me.

You talk about LH having no MS to challenge, but you are forgetting who his team mate was, Fernando Alonso if you forgot, the only driver to have beatten MS since Mika. LH managed to equal him or beat him (what many consider), and this year FM was no mid field driver playing second fiddle to the best paid driver, FM was WDC material, with tutor MS on the background, Lewis manged to (just) beat him on the last lap and last corner, not because he was lucky, but determined never to give up.

For many drivers it took several seasons to reach a mature level to even finish on podiums despite having good cars, while Lewis started showing that he is a WDC material right from the start which is no fluke, speaks volumes for me.

Your posts on Honda and other things seem very interesting to read, but you somehow mange to allow you dislike for LH speak volumes for you.

Whether MS had a massive amount of testing time available to him is neither here or there. At his peak he'd have won the WDC in a Trabant! I actually believe people like LH are good for the sport - the youngest WDC and all that - the press lap it up. I have no argument with that. I'm not going to defend JB's 'brainwork' either. He has made a shocking mess of things in terms of judgement. I admired his loyalty to Honda but it was terribly misplaced. He is up s##t creek now! My dislike of Hamilton is based on the fact that he has come to believe his own press and thus, has his head firmly parked up his own backside for the majority of the time. I'm one of those silly old farts who believe that no matter how good you are at what you do - a little humility goes a long, long way. Even MS and Mansell had a smattering of that. Apart from that, I also think he's a flash in the pan like the Montoyas and Villenueves of this world. We shall see. However, when I last checked, I was living in a democracy. I am afraid to tell you that I shall always say what I think, whether or not it is considered blasphemous by some members of this forum or indeed, would appear to diminish the value of my overview of F1.

Whether MS had a massive amount of testing time available to him is neither here or there. At his peak he'd have won the WDC in a Trabant! I actually believe people like LH are good for the sport - the youngest WDC and all that - the press lap it up. I have no argument with that. I'm not going to defend JB's 'brainwork' either. He has made a shocking mess of things in terms of judgement. I admired his loyalty to Honda but it was terribly misplaced. He is up s##t creek now! My dislike of Hamilton is based on the fact that he has come to believe his own press and thus, has his head firmly parked up his own backside for the majority of the time. I'm one of those silly old farts who believe that no matter how good you are at what you do - a little humility goes a long, long way. Even MS and Mansell had a smattering of that. Apart from that, I also think he's a flash in the pan like the Montoyas and Villenueves of this world. We shall see. However, when I last checked, I was living in a democracy. I am afraid to tell you that I shall always say what I think, whether or not it is considered blasphemous by some members of this forum or indeed, would appear to diminish the value of my overview of F1.

:lol:

Never mind The Insider,

I only replied because I felt I was in a democratic world too. :P

Well, we all have our opinions.

He has appointed me as the High Priest now. He has gained the Prophecy and has gone visiting other places to spread the true message, art of choking and winning on the last lap.

I have it on good authority that he's gone fishing.

Fair enough, but I think if you have very harsh opinions as you have on matters hamilton it is better to tone them down or keep them to yourself. Failing that, you polarise yourself into a 'camp' the anti Hamilton camp together with the likes of Maure, Ash and others - what is the point? You're obviously a more mature person, so one would have hoped that you had learned the art of tact over the years.

Each to their own I guess.

Fair enough, but I think if you have very harsh opinions as you have on matters hamilton it is better to tone them down or keep them to yourself. Failing that, you polarise yourself into a 'camp' the anti Hamilton camp together with the likes of Maure, Ash and others - what is the point? You're obviously a more mature person, so one would have hoped that you had learned the art of tact over the years.

Each to their own I guess.

Ah! What a thing the gift of tact is! I guess I spent so much of my time in F1 deploying it, perhaps, I have now brutally discarded it as I enter the phase know as ' senile delinquency'. An unchartered area where one stumbles through the final phase of one's journey through this wondrous life, crushing the toes of the more sensitive among our number, berating politicians and Tesco staff over the price of Pigs In Blankets as the next F1 season crawls too slowly to approach - it's all a game. Happy Xmas to us all!

I like Lewis because I like his driving. Despite his occasional goofs, for a youngster he's one of the best on the grid. I can't really judge him for his personality because I haven't had the chance to hang out with the guy to see what he's like.

Some people treat F1 more as a soap opera, using their impressions of driver personalities (loosly based on reality) to decide who they hate and who they love. We've all been in the mood to throw cheap shots at drivers, but it's Christmas! So can't we all be brothers?

Spot on, brother.

People are always having a go at Hamilton but I'm always surprised at how everyone misses the biggest tosser of them all, Kimi Raikkonen.

Arrogance is pushing a photographer over on his arse, and not batting an eyelid when a little girl gets bashed over by a stampeding fan right next to him.

Coronation Street.

Kimi isn't arrogant.

Hamilton is a bit of a prick, he tries to be genuine but it's difficult for him, he's one of the best drivers on the grid and he will another WDC, probably many more.

I agree about MS.

Your posts on Honda and other things seem very interesting to read, but you somehow mange to allow you dislike for LH speak no to clever volumes for you.

Good post.

I have just sorted this forum out.

I'd like to know the Insider line on how RB was able to beat JB this year. Not that I think he deserved to, but still, it doesn't augment his reputation. Lewis doesn't seem to have Schumi's brains and it remains to be seen how adaptable he can be, as well as how well he develops a car in the long term. He's surely more than a one hit wonder though, and definitely better than Monty, JV or JB.

Oh yeah, and MS was great but people already look back and forget all the mistakes he made too. Lewis had plenty of howlers in his first 2 years, but Schumi was still making horrible mistakes much later on.

I think it's easy to be too analytical. The sum total of a driver and his equipment is demonstrated by his achievements at the end of a season. I don't care whether Hamilton won by one point or not, he got the job done. He's a champion. You seem quite sure that Lewis won't win another title. I'm not sure what that is based on. With the current level of driver competition and the likelyhood of a competitive car, Lewis is, in my opinion the odds on favourite for another title next year. I would be interested to hear your logic to the contrary. And LDM would rather 'a' Massa than 'a' Hamilton. What does that mean? Is he pigeon holing Felipe and Lewis as 'types' of driver or is he being specific about each guy? Massa has improved, massively but then it's clear, to me, that Lewis will get better than he is already. And he's already, arguably more complete than Massa. Can Luca really be objective when making a statement like that?

Oh yeah, and MS was great but people already look back and forget all the mistakes he made too. Lewis had plenty of howlers in his first 2 years, but Schumi was still making horrible mistakes much later on.

Successful pilots like Michael are under the spotlight far more than others. The magnitude of their errors seems larger as a result. Relative to his successes, Michael's errors were insignificant, but granted, they were there.

I have time now, so I'll address the points you raised here. The term clueless immediately comes to mind, but perhaps blind fan boy is more apt.

Your main comparison is between jenson and Lewis. The facts are that Jenson was beaten by Ralf in his rookie year - fact! Lewis matched and classified ahead of the incumbent WDC and a 2 x wdc at that - fact! All the rubbish you write about simulators, the best team blah blah is just that, blah blah blah. A simulator cannot simulate every race condition - it cannot, for example, simulate crowd noise, pressure of expectation etc etc.

Your argument is again flawed because you are making a rookie mistake (for one claiming to be so knowledgeable) in comparing drivers of different eras. You liken Lewis to Mansell :lol: and assert that he doesn't have smoothness of JB or the icy brain of Michael, but he IS THE WDC AND A CONSISTENT WINNER - in fact he has scored more points, podiums and race wins than any other driver during his short time in F1 - what else can he do? Oh, he is as good as all the 'other' rookies like Piquet, Nakajima, Bourdais - indeed!

As for JB, I repeat, he is not proven on Bridgestone tyres. Al his 'smooth' performances were on michelin tyres, but unlike Alonso, Kubica and Kimi he has not been able to make the transistion because he doesn't have the wherewithal or talent of the aforementioned drivers. Jenson is living off past glories, glories that were achieved on Michelins and, dare I say it, the infamous false fuel tank ;) - Funny how BAR have never recovered since their cheating car was banned and the team publicly humiliated as cheats.

You come on here in the false belief that you are preaching to idiots, the ignorant. You are wrong my friend, I've been watching F1 for 25 years, so I've seen Mansell, Senna, Schumacher, Prost, Piquet etc etc drive, I'm not clueless.

I accept you are entitled to your opinion, try if you can to have considered arguments because the points you raise here sound like the ramblings of an old fool.

;)

I have time now, so I'll address the points you raised here. The term clueless immediately comes to mind, but perhaps blind fan boy is more apt.

Your main comparison is between jenson and Lewis. The facts are that Jenson was beaten by Ralf in his rookie year - fact! Lewis matched and classified ahead of the incumbent WDC and a 2 x wdc at that - fact! All the rubbish you write about simulators, the best team blah blah is just that, blah blah blah. A simulator cannot simulate every race condition - it cannot, for example, simulate crowd noise, pressure of expectation etc etc.

Your argument is again flawed because you are making a rookie mistake (for one claiming to be so knowledgeable) in comparing drivers of different eras. You liken Lewis to Mansell :lol: and assert that he doesn't have smoothness of JB or the icy brain of Michael, but he IS THE WDC AND A CONSISTENT WINNER - in fact he has scored more points, podiums and race wins than any other driver during his short time in F1 - what else can he do? Oh, he is as good as all the 'other' rookies like Piquet, Nakajima, Bourdais - indeed!

As for JB, I repeat, he is not proven on Bridgestone tyres. Al his 'smooth' performances were on michelin tyres, but unlike Alonso, Kubica and Kimi he has not been able to make the transistion because he doesn't have the wherewithal or talent of the aforementioned drivers. Jenson is living off past glories, glories that were achieved on Michelins and, dare I say it, the infamous false fuel tank ;) - Funny how BAR have never recovered since their cheating car was banned and the team publicly humiliated as cheats.

You come on here in the false belief that you are preaching to idiots, the ignorant. You are wrong my friend, I've been watching F1 for 25 years, so I've seen Mansell, Senna, Schumacher, Prost, Piquet etc etc drive, I'm not clueless.

I accept you are entitled to your opinion, try if you can to have considered arguments because the points you raise here sound like the ramblings of an old fool.

;)

Somebody said "Hamilton" in another thread, above this one!

HUNT HIM DOWN!!! :aikido1yw:

Take a chill pill! Whether you like it or not, people will share their opinion here! No need to offend people!

Oh and I agree with the Insider! You think Lewis could have been champion in the BMW this year? Eh?