Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fed up

Renault Confirm Unchanged Lineup For 2009

Renault have confirmed an unchanged driver line-up for the 2009 season, with Fernando Alonso agreeing a two-year extension to his deal with the team.

His teammate Nelson Piquet has only been signed for one further season at present.

Team boss Flavio Briatore believes the announcement gives Renault a well-balanced driver line-up going into next year's championship.

"This gives the ING Renault F1 Team one of the most exciting driver pairings with the perfect blend of youth and experience," he said.

"Fernando's commitment for the next two seasons confirms the faith he has in the team and we are delighted to continue working with him.

"He has been a big asset throughout this difficult season and his leadership and talent, matched with the team's hard work and determination, have paid off with our recent performances, which have placed the ING Renault F1 Team back among the top competitors of Formula 1."

Alonso won two world championships with Renault before leaving for McLaren at the end of 2006, but he returned this year after failing to gel with the Woking-based squad.

Although this season began badly for Alonso and Renault, they staged a late-season resurgence that saw the Spaniard win in Singapore and Japan.

"After a difficult start to the season, we have overcome our difficulties and constantly improved our performances," said Alonso.

"My back-to-back wins in Singapore and Japan, and my recent second place podium finish in Brazil, have proved how competitive we can be.

"In the past we have won championships together, as well as going through tough moments, but we are now determined to show that we can repeat that success together in the coming seasons."

The double champion had been linked with Ferrari and BMW, and heavily courted by Honda, before agreeing his extended Renault deal.

"I have decided to stay with the ING Renault F1 team because, as I have often repeated this season, they have always been my first choice and I feel very happy and comfortable with them," Alonso said.

"It's a very close-knit team with a competitive and winning mentality, and also a relaxed and warm attitude, which suits me perfectly."

Piquet's future at Renault had been in doubt after he struggled for much of his rookie season - particularly in qualifying - but his form improved towards the end of the year, highlighted by a strong drive from 11th on the grid to fourth in Japan.

"Obviously I am delighted to have the opportunity to race for the ING Renault F1 Team for a second year," he said.

"Although I have had a tough year, I have learned a lot from my rookie season and I will aim to put that experience to good use next season. I want to thank the team for their support this year and for the trust they have shown in me for the future.

"I'm already excited about 2009 and looking forward to working with the team over the winter so that we can start next season strongly."

About time, I actually read an article on the Spanish press yesterday and ended up staring in disbelief at website, such utter rubbish it was. So good thing that we won't have all this speculation anymore.

Stupid decision to keep Piquet, obviously...

Stupid decision to keep Piquet, obviously...

I guess they don't want Alonso throwing tantrums. Piquet is cheap and non threatening for Alonso, they won't make the mistake Mclaren did.

Two seasons with Renault :o Haha :lol:

Now I almost hope that he wins next year's championship. If I didn't support Kimi I would really wholeheartedly hope so.

Well, if we never see Piquet Jr on the grid next year without his helmet on, then it may be Piquet Sr masquerading.................. :lol:

:lol: That's a nice joker, maybe that's what Renault were thinking when they resigned him? xD

As for Piquet, it is difficult to get a seond chance. Better make use of it, buddy.

As for Alonso, yawn. First he anounces moving to McLaren while he still has a year to drive for Renault and now he waits until the last freaking moment. If I ever cared, I no longer remember it.

Piquet's choice I think is more a case of "Ok, before bringing the next big thing from GP2, lets give them an extra year testing or whatever" which is logical in a sense. Maybe Lucas Di Grassi (my candidate) is better, but let's not forget that Piquet also looked quite able in GP2.

I am bored of young brilliant kids being wasted because their are being linked to F1 as soon as they make a couple of podiums in GP2. We should go back at the times when seasoned drivers arrived at F1. They can wait, and F1 can wait for them too. Stop trying to find a Lewis Hamilton under every stone.

I am bored of young brilliant kids being wasted because their are being linked to F1 as soon as they make a couple of podiums in GP2. We should go back at the times when seasoned drivers arrived at F1. They can wait, and F1 can wait for them too. Stop trying to find a Lewis Hamilton under every stone.

:yes:

Piquet is a very lucky boy,

cos hes been nothing less than sh*t this season!

Why dont Renault get someone who can actually finish a race? Also someone who can help with mass amount of experience and help develop the car? Eg: Rubens? Webber?

Renault really dont need some young hot shot when they have Alonso (the god) on board :P

Woo-hoo!!

I bet ecap is happy too!

Piquet is a very lucky boy,

cos hes been nothing less than sh*t this season!

Why dont Renault get someone who can actually finish a race? Also someone who can help with mass amount of experience and help develop the car? Eg: Rubens? Webber?

Renault really dont need some young hot shot when they have Alonso (the god) on board :P

Because they don't need another experienced driver when they already have Alonso (the god) :P

Truth is, Alonso's whining and flirting with other teams ended up being some kind of twisted way of motivating a team. Coupled with his actual mechanical input it brought the team forward. I am sure the Renault employees must have hated him at first, but in the end everybody must recognize he did indeed help to bring the Renault back to a dignified position.

On the other hand, the fact that they could not get another worthy driver (as they were all waiting for Nando) and once he decided, they would not dare to pair him with another Lewis might ultimately be harmful for the team. If it becomes too Alonsocentric they might gain a lot, but will also go down when he leaves. Renault should have some good, well tested drivers before the end of 2009 ready to pair with Nando or step up if he leaves.

FA: "I'll stay and drive your poxy French sh!tboxes, as long as you keep the good looking but slow one".

Renault: "Sign here".

Two seasons with Renault :o Haha :lol:

Still in the dreams of getting the Ferrari at the end of 2010... I don't think it's conincedence that both Ferrari drivers seat is open in 2010, and Alonso signed himself for it...

FA: "I'll stay and drive your poxy French sh!tboxes, as long as you keep the good looking but slow one".

Renault: "Sign here".

Quite likely....

I am sure the Renault employees must have hated him at first, but in the end everybody must recognize he did indeed help to bring the Renault back to a dignified position.

A good 6/10ths better, I'd say :D lol

Renault should have some good, well tested drivers before the end of 2009 ready to pair with Nando or step up if he leaves.

Like JV.... oh wait, you said good, well tested drivers.... er....

Truth is, Alonso's whining and flirting with other teams ended up being some kind of twisted way of motivating a team. Coupled with his actual mechanical input it brought the team forward. I am sure the Renault employees must have hated him at first, but in the end everybody must recognize he did indeed help to bring the Renault back to a dignified position.

:lol: I'm not so sure tbh Andr

Yeah, maybe we should start a new thread? This will be a fun thing to discuss now we're in the off season. I'm definitely not saying he makes no difference at all - I just don't buy the idea that most of Renault's improvement was due to Nando. I think if Renault could gain a second a lap by working hard, then Symmonds and Briatore would want to do that with or without Alonso.

Yeah, maybe we should start a new thread? This will be a fun thing to discuss now we're in the off season. I'm definitely not saying he makes no difference at all - I just don't buy the idea that most of Renault's improvement was due to Nando. I think if Renault could gain a second a lap by working hard, then Symmonds and Briatore would want to do that with or without Alonso.

I am not saying that he brought the famous 6/10th a lap or anything with him. All I am saying is that the guy pushes the team forward. Of course they wanted that always, but he gave them a kick in the gonads to make them hurry :lol:

And, he also does more than crashing in the first corner, so he also helps in that sense.

He might not be the only one capable of both, but the Renault+Alonso formula certainly works well. Maybe it wasn't the right combination for Macca. I would have liked to see how he could have done at Honda, though.

Yeah, fair enough. It's complicated and I'm too tired to think about it tonight! Nando-style threats to leave a team can work both ways imho, but perhaps Nando got the balance right. He's a good driver who'd add something to any team, if the partnership can work out.

I say "motivated". Of course they did. And probably they also found the same or another loophole to improve their engine just like Macca and Ferrari did. But the truth is, the guy contributed at least with the motivation (even if it looked more like dragging by the nose than a friendly pat in the back). It was notorious the desperation in Pat Symonds and Briatore towards half season to please Alonso.

If you add to that pressure, the fact that the guy might moan and complain but also works hard along with the engineers then you have a guy that can certainly make a difference.

Or...we can all just look in awe at how lucky he is that every team he touches suddenly takes a leap forward.

Renault certainly wasn't moving forward last year with the same engineers...funny.

Indeed! Alonso has climbed enormously in my appreciation of him this year (probably a syntax error there somewhere) and either way his contribution to bringing Renault at the front can't be doubted IMHO.

I also think it's actually a good idea to keep Piquet! When he performs well, he is up there! If he doesn't follow Alonso in the scoreboard this year, it would be time to go though!