Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DOF_power

Williams Reveal 2009 Wing Package

I agree with all that but nevertheless the teams are to blame if there's no overtaking next year: either because of inability or duplicity.

I have to disagree. To my mind, it's the FIA who should carry the can. Until they employ someone who knows anything about the problem, and then entrusts that person to frame the regulations without leaving an escape hatch, then the problem will persist. Getting the teams to come up with a solution was always doomed to failure, because they asked the wrong question to begin with.

The FIA seems too easy a scapegoat. When you have teams each spending half a billion dollars trying to beat your regulations, it's very hard to create a set of rules that naturally lead to the kind of racing you want, whilst also allowing freedom for the teams' designers to improve the cars. If the teams have deliberately misled the FIA as it tries to improve the rules then I think we should blame them when those rules don't work out right.

I agree with part of that. It is hard to create a workable and stable set of rules. Although the lawyers are partly responsible for that in all probability. More reason for the FIA to employ someone who knows what he's talking about. Currently they don't. I don't rate Purnell particularly highly, but for him not to have been involved in the new design was foolhardy and has resulted in closing the stable door after the equine mammal has scarpered - they need someone like the late Frank Costin. An outside the box thinker who will start with a clean sheet and not simply tinker with the existing format.

Yeah I think they do need to start from scratch with the rules. And somehow they need to avoid the teams misleading them again. Perhaps they should agree a target laptime with the teams and if the proposals are found to be inadequate, the next season they have to accept further rule changes. If Purnell has been fooled it will be very annoying watching the same boring processions next year, just with uglier cars.

50% reduction of downforce is just Mosley's sick dream. It's even impossible to make up the rules that would make it happened as he wants.

In my opinion those new regulations are certainly a good step forward. With those wings and new diffusers cars will produce a bit less downforce (they could produce the same but with less aero efficiency - so it will be pretty much like this man said - about 20% less), but a bit stronger ground effect.

This plus new tires, kers and new engine regulations equals that we shall see field of cars no more than 2 seconds slower than 2008 models in Melbourne.

My only concern is kers making it harder for heavier drivers - that would be a shame, cause it could spoil the result of Webber vs Vettel battle at Red Bull - one of things I'm looking forward to next year.

Yes that is also a pain. If the cars have to be heavier with the new rules maybe they should increase the weight limit. It's silly if driver weight becomes a decisive factor.

Perhaps the back end aerodynamics is what leaves the dirty air for the car behind. If so, making the rear wing smaller might make overtaking easier, which I guess was the idea.

the only problem is that every bodies rear wing is still at the same height, you can never move wings out of the dirty air because they will always be at the same height. the thing that causes the dirty air is the angle of attack. the higher the angle the greater the turbulence. making the wings smaller only increases the angle teams use. The real way to combat dirty air is a very large wing with a small maximum angle of attack. that way the levels of downforce will be the same but the air will be less turbulent.

they did this with the front wing, they made it bigger but have a smaller maximum angle of attack but then they made the rear wing smaller so they undid all the good they did at the front with the work they did on the back. these principles are simple grade school aerodynamics and nobody can get it right. if anything it shows the complete incompetence of the FIA. You never let the players determine the rules of a game, that's like asking prisoners to be there own guards

A wide, single element wing seems an elegant solution.

Yes, more elegant than Willy's current '09 flap box thingy which looks like a fat girl trying to get into a small dress.

Yes, more elegant than Willy's current '09 flap box thingy which looks like a fat girl trying to get into a small dress.

Hey I have an idea to reduce grip by 50%....make em take off two wheels :lol:

to my eye the new rear wing is ugly

Hey I have an idea to reduce grip by 50%....make em take off two wheels :lol:

to my eye the new rear wing is ugly

:lol:Then Rossi would join.

jesus...oh...my...

my love for F1 cars has just been broken. :(

Looks like scalectrix will be on BBC every fortnight on a sunday in 2009.

Gah, F1 cars stopped being F1 cars somewhere in the 90s. All I care about is if it's fast and if the racing's fun.

Stop talking like DOF, you'll confuse some of us...