Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jez

Webber Vs Vettel

Man, 09 will be really interesting in terms of the career progression of these two drivers. I'm a big Webber fan, so I have to say I'd like to see him mop the floor with his new younger team mate. But I have to be realistic. Vettel showed a few times this year that he is quick and composed when it matters. I'm kind of expecting him to beat Webber. But I don't think it'll be so easy for the youngster. Webber has shown good pace and composure in the past as well, and the guy is hungry for that elusive first victory. Will Webber make it or break it against Vettel in 09?

VettelWebberGETTY_468x278.jpg

I want them both to do well, I guess that's placing a good deal of responsibility on Red Bull but they were looking for it already when they "promoted" Vettel to a team worse than Toro Rosso. Go team RBR 2009!

Yep agreed. Ultimately, I'd like RBR to kick some a** in 09. But with Webber coming out on top by a few points :D

Man, 09 will be really interesting in terms of the career progression of these two drivers. I'm a big Webber fan, so I have to say I'd like to see him mop the floor with his new younger team mate. But I have to be realistic. Vettel showed a few times this year that he is quick and composed when it matters. I'm kind of expecting him to beat Webber. But I don't think it'll be so easy for the youngster. Webber has shown good pace and composure in the past as well, and the guy is hungry for that elusive first victory. Will Webber make it or break it against Vettel in 09?

VettelWebberGETTY_468x278.jpg

I hope the Renault engine will be good enough to compliment the best pairing next season.

It does not have to be a winner/loser situation for it to work out.

Webber should hold his own and have an edge, at least, at the onset of the season.

We should also expect Vettel to fight through. The guy has fire in his belly and will fight anyone for position regardless what's at stake (see Brazil).

So, hopefully, they will motivate each other and give us some competitive racing, something that, after all, has been missing for a while, especially in the mid/top teams... Ferrari, McLaren, BMW, Renault, all are carrying (or manufacturing) dead weight.

I think I share the views of many by saying I want both of these guys to do well. They are both likeable for their skill and personalities. Who will bloody the others nose though? It's tempting to sit on the fence and say it will be 'close' and no doubt it will be. But this is a key season for both. Mark will not want to be beaten by a younger less experienced driver. He won't want to be beaten for the first time by a team mate (?). Vettel won't want his steady uprising to be halted by a guy who is in the early afternoon of his career.

If I had to call it, I would say the season is Sebastian's. However, let's see how he deals with a car which is potentially less poweful than his last. Mark, on the other hand knows only too well how to deal with frustration.

I'd rather Webber came out on top but it might not be easy. Having said that, Vettel and Webber are both unproven talents. I don't think we know how good either are, and we probably still won't after next year.

I'd rather Webber came out on top but it might not be easy. Having said that, Vettel and Webber are both unproven talents. I don't think we know how good either are, and we probably still won't after next year.

Yes, sure :rolleyes:

I'd want them both to do well - but again a lot of that depends on Red Bull.

If I had to pick one - I'd like Vettel excel. Only because Mark can survive (as he has been) in RB for the rest of his days happily enough - he seems content and the team are happy with him. For Vettel I'd wouldn't want his rise to be halted. I can see that happening if he doesn't keep on terms with Webber, I'd like to see Vettel up his game along with RedBull and continue his progress towards a really competitive seat.

I just don't see it. Webber is a cool guy but he is just too old. He is 32, in two years time he will be 34, 34 is old old old in F1. Rubins was said to be the old man when he went to Honda at 34. Vettel is not even 22 and just as good if not better than Webber already. The very fact that Webber has to compete with Vettel shows how their careers have been going. Through no fault of his own Webber has been stuck in the mud.

Yes this will be by far most exciting driver's pair in 2009 and biggest test so far for Vettel.

To be honest I think Webber is the one who can get most of the car over a single lap, but as we could see few times he sometimes tends to lack race pace and makes mistakes. On the other hand Vettel has his ups and downs too. He will be cometing with so complete driver as Webber is for the first time so the outcome is just impossible to predict. I thought he will have this kind of test this year against Bourdais but as it turned out the guy lacked flexibility and ability to adapt, so he couldn't show us his full racecraft in the car that doesn't suit him that well.

I think Webber will end up with more points and will win the qualifying battle, but Vettel will be the one who gets 1 or 2 giant-killing results (like on a wet weekend).

I want Webber to destroy Vettel.

I think they will be damn close.

Vettel will have a few more "flashy" performances, but I think Webber will be more steady.

I still don't have faith Red Bull will put out a good enough car for either of their talents.

I want Webber to destroy Vettel.

I think they will be damn close.

Vettel will have a few more "flashy" performances, but I think Webber will be more steady.

I still don't have faith Red Bull will put out a good enough car for either of their talents.

agreed

To me this is one of the best line ups on the grid next year.

Both these guys are quick, especially over a single lap. Also both have proved they have very good race craft and can overtake.

Obviously i hope Vettel will edge it but I dont think Webber deserves to get thrashed as I believe he's actually pretty good.

The one problem with this all is, that Red Bull need to deliver a good car. If not then they might aswell leave F1 because they wont be able to get a better driver pairing and chief designer...

It's not about winning for Red Bull. It's not about winning for any team with a sponsor. That's the trouble with it. If Red Bull sells a couple cans of urine energy drink they'll keep racing.

But from a competitive standpoint, I agree. It's hard to get better than what they have team-wise so they better do something special.

It's a crucial season for Vettel.

If he has any ambitions of a real top drive, he needs to own Webber who is rated by many as a good driver. If he doesn

Vetel will outperform Webber without doubt. RBR and STR are joined at the hip, only with different engines...data and testing is shared, so Webber won't have the "established team driver" benefit, and Vettel will make the transition easily. If anything, Vettel will have the upper hand as he will have done all the early testing on the new cars.

Hartley to replace Webber by mid-season. And the 'roos will choke at the League World Cup....oh...wait...they did that already.....