Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rodders47

Is Bernie Greedy?

I think we need an answer very soon," the Mayor said, referring to the final version of F1's 2009 calendar expected in December.

"We need to know if we're going to have a Grand Prix in 2009. We're trying to find a proposal that will meet with the approval of (F1 chief) Bernie Ecclestone and his board of directors.

"He's not interested in where the money's going to come from, he just wants to get the money to which he thinks he's entitled."

Ever since Bernie Ecclestone dropped Montreal from the 2009 calendar, Canadian officials are trying all they can to save the Grand Prix. It emerged yesterday that Montreal hotels would be willing to see the occupancy tax raised from 3% to 4% if that could save the race in 2009 and beyond.

any wonder why F1 is sinking. Just My opinion

Cost cutting initiative - don't pay bernie any money, he doesn't need it, instead put the money paid to him by venues into R&D.

Is Bernie greedy? - of course he ****ing is.

On the China issue - again (like France), if the circuits aren't making money after paying Bernie his huge whack for the 'privilage' of hosting an F1 GP, then what's the incentive for them to carry on doing so. Bernie wants them to pay huge sums to him personally even if it costs them to do so. Silly business. He also seems unaware that the global financial situation doesn't bode well for entertainments like the one he's selling.

Also - and interesting point made about Singapore in that second article. The guy was too nice to say it, but basically who makes TV money? Bernie! So he wants the Shanghai cicuit to sell even fewer tickets - which would undoubtably happen in Shanghai as the track is quite a way from the city center (unlike Singapore) - in order for him to make more money from TV in Europe.

He's got a cheek.

Bernie is greedy no doubt, but he doesn't own F1; it is owned by CVC and they've put a 5 billion debt on F1 witch threatens the very existence of the series.

Bernie has made enough money to just walk away and leave F1 to its fate.

All good business men are greedy. Whether greed is good or not is another debate. Material Steve says yes. Enviromental Steve says no.

Probably naive here in Gorilla land, but I've always drawn a distinction between the desire to make a healthy profit (which is what I try to do)

and the desire to fleece your clients by charging exhorbitant fees (the opportunity has arisen from time to time but I think I'd feel rather dishonest).

Probably naive here in Gorilla land, but I've always drawn a distinction between the desire to make a healthy profit (which is what I try to do)

and the desire to fleece your clients by charging exhorbitant fees (the opportunity has arisen from time to time but I think I'd feel rather dishonest).

Yeah, I would go with that too, but the numbers are big in F1. Bernie keeps it that way and keeps it desirable for all concerned. I don't like it but a compliant and sesnitive Bernie is a weak Bernie and a potentially weak F1. A bit like the Silverstone debate. I want a British Grand Prix but the Governments lack of willingness to invest must be like a red rag to a bull for Bernie when so many other countries are begging for race because they see the commercial benefits and aren't complacent like we seem to be. Sorry, off on a tangent slightly.

Not really a tangent. More an oblique angle. I agree that Britain is unrivalled when it comes to complacency. We're world class. And you are right in that Bernie's only taking what some idiots are prepared to pay. China for example, who have now realised they can't afford it. As will more of them in the not too distant future. Bernie dragged F1 into the commercial world, so they owe him for that, but I think he's got his priorities all mixed up now. The fees he now demands will result in a dwindling number of circuits willing to pay. So less exposure. Less profit. Less interest. Especially since the banks have comprehensively fu(ked everything up.

Not really a tangent. More an oblique angle. I agree that Britain is unrivalled when it comes to complacency. We're world class. And you are right in that Bernie's only taking what some idiots are prepared to pay. China for example, who have now realised they can't afford it. As will more of them in the not too distant future. Bernie dragged F1 into the commercial world, so they owe him for that, but I think he's got his priorities all mixed up now. The fees he now demands will result in a dwindling number of circuits willing to pay. So less exposure. Less profit. Less interest. Especially since the banks have comprehensively fu(ked everything up.

Yep, all true. And I'm loving your use of the open bracket.

Yeah, I would go with that too, but the numbers are big in F1. Bernie keeps it that way and keeps it desirable for all concerned. I don't like it but a compliant and sesnitive Bernie is a weak Bernie and a potentially weak F1. A bit like the Silverstone debate. I want a British Grand Prix but the Governments lack of willingness to invest must be like a red rag to a bull for Bernie when so many other countries are begging for race because they see the commercial benefits and aren't complacent like we seem to be. Sorry, off on a tangent slightly.

Bernie atleast does not take away people's money and build loss making restaurants like many politicians do in some countries. To be honest you don't have to be a rocket scientist to figure out he is greedy, but he is nowhere in the list of Devil's own list of top 1000 greediest men alive.

Bernie atleast does not take away people's money and build loss making restaurants like many politicians do in some countries. To be honest you don't have to be a rocket scientist to figure out he is greedy, but he is nowhere in the list of Devil's own list of top 1000 greediest men alive.

Agreed :)

Bertie Ahern :rolleyes:

He is a great businessman....

Define "great".

If you mean

• Rich? - yes
  • Tall? - no
  • Nice? - hmmmm
  • Effective at exploiting contacts for mutual benefit and personal gain? - yes
  • Good at marketing F1? - yes

Bernie's fortune has been built upon exploiting badly and dodgily-put together contracts by FIA for personal gain. Can't blame him, I guess, but he owes it more to FIA's weakness and "bent-ness" (if there is such a word).

Define "great".

If you mean

• Rich? - yes
  • Tall? - no
  • Nice? - hmmmm
  • Effective at exploiting contacts for mutual benefit and personal gain? - yes
  • Good at marketing F1? - yes

Bernie's fortune has been built upon exploiting badly and dodgily-put together contracts by FIA for personal gain. Can't blame him, I guess, but he owes it more to FIA's weakness and "bent-ness" (if there is such a word).

That might be true but only partially.

He got those dodgily-put together contracts by FIA by placing himself and his men (Max included) in the FIA. Ecclestone blackmailed FIA members to elect Mosley over Balestre in the early 90s.

And before that, as head of FOCA, in early-mid 70s he defeated the great clubs, those who conceived, created and controled Grand Prix racing since1906.

Such a thing was considered once not only impossible but downright unimaginable, as even the AIACR/FIA-CSI looked like a powerless organization compared to these clubs, and was more then once ridiculed by them/their power.