Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jean Todt

The Most Beautiful Cars!

Mostly i like it but the new elite and the eterne. But it seems no lotus at all. I found them a correct design exercise but lack those "lotus-ness" today models has. It seems they are moving upmarket, but can they be sucessful? There will be a hard and steep uphill road to compete with ferrari, Porsche and MacLaren.

Argento: It is beautiful... and sexy as all get out.

:wub:

I think I may need a cigarette in a moment.

18494335242.290239524.IM1.07.565x421_A.565x377.jpg

18494335279.290239524.IM1.13.565x421_A.565x377.jpg

The 2005 Honda Pilot. Styling-wise it may not be "hot," however it's certainly beautiful. Why? My first car is exactly that (the one pictured is from a dealer website and not of my own, but there's no difference in appearance). Not my favorite color by any means, of course, but you can't complain about a car you inherited. Overall, I absolutely love it. :)

2008-Weissman-GT-to-Make-its-Debut-in-Frankfurt-B-640.jpg

This. I don't know, I just think it's a cool car with the retro styling.

Ligier JS1 and JS2. I know, it's derivative, but I like them nonetheless.

Ligier-JS2.jpg

1969_ligier_js1_01_m.jpg

Its more ticklish than the Honda...:P

So, which 2011 models in your nation do you find to be styled well? Here are some of my favorites for the new year...

Cadillac SRX

Cadillac CTS-V

Cadillac CTS-V grocery getter

Chevrolet Camaro

Ford Mustang

Hyundai Equus

Kia Sorento

Kia Sportage

Kia Optima

Mazda CX-7

Mazda3

Mazda6

Porsche Cayman

Volkswagen Touareg

Volvo C30

Volvo XC60

And the ugliest car in the U.S. for 2011...

Nissan Quest

2008-Weissman-GT-to-Make-its-Debut-in-Frankfurt-B-640.jpg

This. I don't know, I just think it's a cool car with the retro styling.

No, no, and thrice no. That's just wrong on so many levels. It's what you get when you put an XK120, an AH 3000 Mk3 and an E type in a blender. And then stick TVR lights on the front. Bleh.

No, no, and thrice no. That's just wrong on so many levels. It's what you get when you put an XK120, an AH 3000 Mk3 and an E type in a blender. And then stick TVR lights on the front. Bleh.

You boring bugger. It's a pastiche, for sure, but a sexy one. Wouldn't fancy trying to get in it though.

Agreed. A german trying to make a british sports classic? If the W bros. has a little amount of good taste... HORRIBLE!

You boring bugger. It's a pastiche, for sure, but a sexy one. Wouldn't fancy trying to get in it though.

But a pastiche imitates the style of the original (as the original MX5 imitates an Elan), whereas this monstrosity simply copies entire elements and nails them together in roughly the right order. Nasty.

But a pastiche imitates the style of the original (as the original MX5 imitates an Elan), whereas this monstrosity simply copies entire elements and nails them together in roughly the right order. Nasty.

So you don't think the design is coherent? Or is it you have decided that it is just nasty conceptually? Just trying to understand because to my eye, it works. What modern car in your opinion is totally original?

Surely, you decide on concept, throw dimensions into a pot and smooth off the corners. By doing that you tread on the toes of a million designs before it. My point is, you can see influences in car design everywhere, but often the influences are a result of modern function following form.

Also, I was under the impression that 'pastiche' could also mean a mix or a variety of styles. Not just an imitation of one.

Wouldn't fancy trying to get in it though.

:D...did you try? Its really difficult...the doors are so damn small....because of that chunky rocker pannel.....I actually had to keep my hand on the floor (or road) to get out..

The easiest car to get in and out and with the best seating position amongst all the super cars (or hyper) is the Zonda!!!!

Yes, it does work, in it's own way, monstrosity was too strong. My dislike stems from the XK120 grille, the AH side flashes (and rear lights) which have been taken virtually unchanged from the originals. The E type 2+2 haunches I suppose are less obvious (I'll go with form follows function on that, if you like), but my point is that this shows not influence but straight copying. Take those obvious elements away, and replace them with something the car's designer thought up on his own, and I think it would improve the car. It should be able to stand alone on it's own merits.

Of course all designers show their influences, but there is a difference between being influenced by the XK120 and simply copying one of it's most recognisable features. Even Jag didn't do that with it's own stuff.

Modern originals? Depends how modern, and how you define original. The Rover P6 (a 3 box saloon, sure, but light years away from it's contemporaries) Alfa SZ? Bristol Fighter or 412? The original Scim GTE? Citroen XM? Not the BX 'cos that was originally a Reliant.

And the ugliest car in the U.S. for 2011...

Nissan Quest

Its an achievement actually, they really deserve an award....considering that there so many talented designers (even within Nissan) and yet they managed to that, which is very impressive. :clap3:

Yes, it does work, in it's own way, monstrosity was too strong. My dislike stems from the XK120 grille, the AH side flashes (and rear lights) which have been taken virtually unchanged from the originals. The E type 2+2 haunches I suppose are less obvious (I'll go with form follows function on that, if you like), but my point is that this shows not influence but straight copying. Take those obvious elements away, and replace them with something the car's designer thought up on his own, and I think it would improve the car. It should be able to stand alone on it's own merits.

Of course all designers show their influences, but there is a difference between being influenced by the XK120 and simply copying one of it's most recognisable features.Even Jag didn't do that with it's own stuff.

Modern originals? Depends how modern, and how you define original. The Rover P6 (a 3 box saloon, sure, but light years away from it's contemporaries) Alfa SZ? Bristol Fighter or 412? The original Scim GTE? Citroen XM? Not the BX 'cos that was originally a Reliant.

Jag' did precisely that when the launched the 'S' type. Unfortunately, the rubbish Lincoln bits compromised the design and made it look frumpy. As for the P6, it was ahead of its time, but they really should have put an access flap in the rear floor to allow easier access to the in board rear discs. A royal pain in the arse to change. Its rear fins were also highly reminiscent of the Austin Cambridge. The rear lights were pure Austin 1100/Cambridge/Midget. I can still smell the leather from my Dads mark one P6 3500, see the ribbon speedo, and the little tell tale bits on top of the front side lights that you could see at the end of the bonnet. I also remember the spare wheel cover flying off on our way back from Cornwall. He had it bad; he bought a mark two with round dials, black grille and humpy bonnet. This was after a 2000 and a 2200TC. Three SD1's followed. I have an unhealthy hankering for a Range Rover engined 3.9 P6 with a four speed auto. Baby's arrival will put pay to that. Petrol vs nappies = nappies win.

Baby's arrival will put pay to that. Petrol vs nappies = nappies win.

Don't believe that. You can have a baby and still have a sporty car. All you need is a trunk and a back seat. For my first child I was convinced I needed a horrid minivan. I bought one and ditched it after realizing that I could fit everything I needed into a Supra. Babies aren't that big and it will take a bit of extra searching for compact strollers and the like but they're out there.

Unless I miss the point and you're talking about an outlay of cash..then of course the baby comes first. Buy them diapers before indulging in your unhealthy lust for a spiffy saloon car.