Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dribbler

Ecclestone Wants To Medal Around

Ecclestone to replace points for medals?

18 November 2008

Source; GPupdate.net 18 November 2008.

Formula 1 could see even more changes next season as Formula 1 boss Bernie Ecclestone has said the FIA is considering to introduce medals in F1. Ecclestone confirmed that he is seriously considering dropping the points-based drivers' championship for a medal-based title race, which should make it more exciting.

In case the FIA would introduce a medal-system in Formula 1 the winning driver will receive a gold medal, with a silver and bronze medal for second and third instead. So instead of receiving 10, 8 and 6 points the podium finishers will go home with a nice and shiny medal. Anyone not finishing on the podium would not receive any points but their finishing position will remain important for their overall ranking. The constructors' championship would remain unchanged and will still be based on a points system.

The medal-system could be introduced as early as next season. "The FIA and all the teams are behind it and it will be done," Ecclestone was quoted by British newspaper The Times. "Everybody understands gold medals and silver and bronze. Nearly all sports are done that way. The whole point will be, when they get to Melbourne for the first race, the guys will want to leave there with a gold medal. They don't want to leave with ten, eight or six points.

"The need for it was highlighted at the Brazilian Grand Prix at the end of this season when Hamilton only had to finish in the top five to win the title, not win. So this will encourage overtaking

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What do we think then, guys and gals? Looks like Bernie is getting F1 ready for the Olympics! It seems a shame to me though that anyone finishing fourth or lower goes home with nothing. Why not lower the quality of the prize as the order descends? For example, fourth place - a tin medal, fifth - plastic.........right down to a lapped twenty second who would receive a Girls Aloud CD.

Anyone not finishing on the podium would not receive any points but their finishing position will remain important for their overall ranking.

I wonder how all this will work out? Is Bernie saying the WDC should be decided on a kind of countback system, where the top positions in the WDC are based entirely on the number of wins each driver has, and the next positions in the WDC table are based on number of 2nds etc? So Piquet with his one 2nd place and umpteen last paces would have been well up the WDC table? Or am I just too tired to do ought but ask someone else to do my thinking for me?

Hmm that countback system might make the races more exciting on average as drivers would surely take more risks. The downside would be that luck will be a huge factor if WDC rankings are based on so few results from the season.

How about giving people points add them up at the end and whoever has the most, wins?........wait.......oh yeah.

How about giving people points add them up at the end and whoever has the most, wins?........wait.......oh yeah.

Couldn't have put it better.

Seriously is Bernie going senile!?

Thats the most ridiculous idea ive ever heard. Williams, Honda, Force India etc might aswell go home!?

Why is this guy so determined to destroy F1?

Another piece of genius from the FIA/Ecclestone combo, other rumoured changes include:

• Tying fast drivers' shoe laces together to handicap them
  • Making the front running car carry an egg in a teaspoon and if it falls off they have to go to the back
  • Avoiding all of this darned messing about with cars and getting the drivers to play a "pin the spiked collar on a picture of the FIA President" game
  • Playing "tag" with the fastest car going over the finish line on the first lap being "it", the object being to bump into another and making that one "it" Last one who is "it" after 50 laps is the loser

:)

Another piece of genius from the FIA/Ecclestone combo, other rumoured changes include:

• Tying fast drivers' shoe laces together to handicap them
  • Making the front running car carry an egg in a teaspoon and if it falls off they have to go to the back
  • Avoiding all of this darned messing about with cars and getting the drivers to play a "pin the spiked collar on a picture of the FIA President" game
  • Playing "tag" with the fastest car going over the finish line on the first lap being "it", the object being to bump into another and making that one "it" Last one who is "it" after 50 laps is the loser

:)

Now, that makes sense.

How about cars and tracks that allow overtaking.

I am all for that.

Bernie will kill the excitement with this move. Was it not the current point system that just provided the most epic end to a season ever? If we were playing the medal game, Felipe would've clinched the title beyond reasonable doubt after the first corner. If the cars can't actually "race," and if there aren't any battles for the win, you'll never get a dramatic title finish.

The medals option sounds like unnecessary crap (what's wrong with trophies) but the change simply implies that the guy with most wins will take the WDC. In that sense, why not.

"The need for it was highlighted at the Brazilian Grand Prix at the end of this season when Hamilton only had to finish in the top five to win the title, not win. So this will encourage overtaking

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What do we think then, guys and gals? Looks like Bernie is getting F1 ready for the Olympics! It seems a shame to me though that anyone finishing fourth or lower goes home with nothing. Why not lower the quality of the prize as the order descends? For example, fourth place - a tin medal, fifth - plastic.........right down to a lapped twenty second who would receive a Girls Aloud CD.

You would be so cruel as to give somebody a Girs Aloud CD as a prize??? Mind you, I suppose it would have their picture on it :lol:

Anyway, the comment from Bernie above. Ok, maybe like Graham I am not getting this properly, but if 1 driver went into the last race with say 8 gold medals, for example and the next nearest rival had 6 or less, then how would this fulfill this 'need' he refers to? Surely then, the driver with 8 gold medals doesn't even have to turn up to race, let alone try and win.

Wouldn't the only time this would work was if 2 drivers go into the last race with the same number of gold medals?

Bernie's off his meds again :o

exactly

Sounds like this is really happening- linky

Bernie Ecclestone continues to insist that the medal system should be implemented in Formula One, with the reward for finishing lower than third becoming nonexistent and the top three finishers receiving gold silver and bronze medals like those handed out in the Olympics, and the one finishing the year with the most gold medals will win the title.

"It's going to happen. All the teams are happy,

being serious here guys.

Am I misled or is it a fact the more points a team gets during a season the more money is distributed to that team to cover transport costs etc. ?

Seems to me that Bernie is just on a "cost cutting manouvere", i.e. cutting the costs that he will have to pay the teams for scoring points, meaning he can BANK more money for his bloody greedy self, like WHY? how much money does this b#####d need, oops I think I know why, it is to pay out his ex wife's claims to his fortune, that's it Bernie is shoring up his income to allow him to pay his ex wife's debts, albiet to the detriment of the F1 sport, but I doubt Bernie cares about that

... as it won’t leave any incentive for those lower than fourth to try and overtake for the minor placings.

This is not so. Fourth and below won't get a medal (so what) but their finishing position is as important as any other. That will be what determines the standings.

The thing is that if a driver in a midteam makes, say, a lucky 2nd, he will be ahead of another driver that has 15 3rds and no better.

The same, of course, applies to the WDC. For example, 4 1st places and 14 retirements would beat 3 1st places and 14 2nds.

In other words, the "thinking" behind this is that drivers need to go out every race to get as high a result as possible no matter what else.

Winning over consistency. Let's see if we get some desperado drives out there. I'm still waiting for teams (especially midteams) to build a super-engine that lasts one race only, use it to blast the field, and then take the penalty with a win in their pocket.

Winning over consistency. Let's see if we get some desperado drives out there. I'm still waiting for teams (especially midteams) to build a super-engine that lasts one race only, use it to blast the field, and then take the penalty with a win in their pocket.

it would be interesting to see, but that's not why i watch f1.

it would be interesting to see, but that's not why i watch f1.

I wonder if interesting is the word I would use, hmmm,... what is certain is that the many regulations imposed on the sport don't give much room for anything else... except more regulations. Funny thing, it is becoming more and more like the politically induced economic mess we are in right now.

By the way, what is it that you watch F1 for? Ecclestone's move simply puts winning (or finishing ahead) above all else, albeit a bit too dramatically. The medals part is a far more goofy move afaik...

Rather than eliminating trophies (another goofy bit), I would do away with champagne showers on the podium. Most times, it is just a "must do" routine rather than the celebration of something extraordinary...

By the way, what is it that you watch F1 for? Ecclestone's move simply puts winning (or finishing ahead) above all else, albeit a bit too dramatically. The medals part is a far more goofy move afaik...

with bernies new idea id would make come-from-behind WDC victories less likely. Not that it happens often, I just fell the current system makes it more exciting than the pruposed change.