Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Moose11

F1 To Be Decided By Wins

The stupid old fool has lost the plot. Medals?!!!! Maybe he's joking with us all, cos he cant be serious.

And no points for anyone below 3rd? This ludicrous idea won't go through, ever ever ever

I think it's an interesting idea. He's right that it will encourage overtaking and risk-taking in general. It might also encourage differences to develop between the cars, if you like that kind of thing. The downside is there's probably more scope for luck to play a role but then again it does anyway.

I think it raises as many concerns as it solves. The logic behind increased competition for 1st place rather than not taking a risk and accepting 2nd, 3rd etc etc seems sound enough, but how does that affect those further back on the grid - is there any point in them even turning up except to hope for a freak result? At least 1pt for 8th gives them some incentive.

I suppose if you really wanted to you could simply increase the number of points available for a win to say 16. Increases the likelihood of the driver with most points winning the championship but also maintains the competition further down the grid.

None of the articles say it, but perhaps they'll just extend the same system to the lower positions. So an 8th place finish will count more than any number of 9ths etc a bit like a countback system.

Scenario (much simplified but not as unlikely as it sounds):

Driver A wins 10 races of an 18 race season. Fails to place higher than 4th in any of the others.

Driver B wins 8 races. Comes second or third in all the others.

Therefore driver A is WDC.........................

What absolute bollocks. The sooner they put Bernard Charles Ecclestone in a home for the terminally bewildered the better off we'll all be.

Didn't I start a thread on this? Why am I asking? I know I did.

Yep. Your memory is intact. But it was sooooo far down the page and my scrolling finger is soooooo weary.

It's a nonsensical scheme. The driver with the most wins must be WDC in my humble opinion. If there is a tie, then a count back on other placings should apply. Bernie has become more unbalanced than a RA108! Must be the divorce.

I think it's an interesting idea. He's right that it will encourage overtaking and risk-taking in general. It might also encourage differences to develop between the cars, if you like that kind of thing. The downside is there's probably more scope for luck to play a role but then again it does anyway.

I think should watch the Fuji 2007 race (Massa vs. Kubica) or maybe the Nascar CWTS series where the point system is a lot lot lot closer but the racing is a lot lot lot better because of the cars and track that allow passing.

Does anyone think medals would have made Valencia less of a bore ?!

Drivers don't need incetives of any king, just the proper cars on proper track.

In fact the hole driver's championship and scoring should be eliminated altogheter and FIA should allow fully automated no-drivers required cars.

To be honest, the worst thing about this move is how much it seems to confuse some people... and that is more amusing than bad.

So, position beats regularity? So what. If this were applied to last season Massa and Hamilton would swap positions and so would Alonso over Kubica as well as Vettel over Heidfeld... in other words, it would've made no difference at all whatsoever, except perhaps for Vettel. So no reason to flip out on account of this.

The medals thing will be amussing, so there, at least we get a comedy moment out of all this...

... FIA should allow fully automated no-drivers required cars.

That's sci-fi at this point. There is no AI today that could drive an F1 like human drivers do... although, granted, getting rid of heroworshippers would be nice, nice.

So, position beats regularity?

So Mrs drib tells me.

I bet the AI can easily be developed. Don't be so anti-innovation, Maure.

Easily?

Let me guess. It can "easily" be developed in the dream world where you claim I am "so anti-innovation".

Besides, I didn't say those AI's won't ever exist. Who can say? I just don't know of them existing now... why don't you describe to us precisely how these AI's can easily be developed? Don't bet. Tell us with details.

So Mrs drib tells me.

Many dreamers today...

The points system was changed to hinder a dominant car-driver combo (MS-Ferrari)winning the championship all too soon. Instead we got a system that rewards reliability and consistency and will not favour risk takers.

The new system could provide us with closer racing as long as we have teams that are close together(yeah I know, pure genious...) . We might see more spins, drivers on second place chasing the leader untill they spin out, broken engines, banzai 1st corner manoevers etc. If we get a dominant driver-engine package then the championship could be decided very early on. If we look further back we can find situations where a win was all that mattered, it was usually after the constructor and drivers championships were decided and people drove to win.

I would prefere reverting to the older system( 10,6,4,3,2,1 or maybe 10,6,4,3,2, 1.5, 1, 0.5 to reward the first eight finishers)which imo was more balanced between risk taking and consistency. I cannot stand the current points system, where if you fail to finish a race and your championship competitor wins, you will then have to win 5 races and he can be satisfied with second or even third position. Take it easy through the first corner, try maybe catching up before the pits not taking any risks and waiting for the other guy to make a mistake, oh well it didn't quite work, lets cut the revs and conserve second...

If I have to choose between the current system and the one proposed I will vote for change, in the end I don't care if it might be unfair for a guy with 8 wins and 8 second places to lose the championship, I can accept that knowing he lost a championship that was more entertaining for me to watch.

As far as medals are concerned I think it's idiotic, trophies are far better.

Right. Because we've seen so many instances when one driver was running behind another and decided not to overtake because they were having a "good points day." Oh yeah, remember all those times when they were running nose-to-tail, and you thought "if only Lewis would just pass Massa," but he was just doing math in his head and held back. Oh so many times.

And don't tell me it's a two-pronged approach with this AND spec cars because you're wrong. Spec cars work so well that IndyCar, A1GP, GP2, etc are the most viewed series in the world with the best racing. Clearly. And NASCAR's US TV ratings have been WAY up since they went spec. Oh yes, nothing excites me like spec cars. It isn't like ALMS, dirt late models, midgets, sprints, supermods etc have the best racing and the most variety, no, that would never happen.

I think should watch the Fuji 2007 race (Massa vs. Kubica) or maybe the Nascar CWTS series where the point system is a lot lot lot closer but the racing is a lot lot lot better because of the cars and track that allow passing.

Does anyone think medals would have made Valencia less of a bore ?!

Drivers don't need incetives of any king, just the proper cars on proper track.

In fact the hole driver's championship and scoring should be eliminated altogheter and FIA should allow fully automated no-drivers required cars.

I agree with you, DOF. The trucks are great because they are a lot like the older stock cars in terms of aero, but driveable enough that you can run side-by-side. The trucks had some great shows this year, made Sprint Cup and Nationwide look awful. The Whelen Modifieds and Camping World East/West Series are also really fun.

Exactly, it wasn't like they were running single-file because they weren't motivated. There's no where to pass.

Yep, drivers will always overtake when they can. They're young and driving fast cars, this isn't Mama Murray driving her Toyota Prius home from King George's Royal Tesco.

Okay, now you've gone too far. Keep the drivers. Just because I said so.

Easily?

Let me guess. It can "easily" be developed in the dream world where you claim I am "so anti-innovation".

Besides, I didn't say those AI's won't ever exist. Who can say? I just don't know of them existing now... why don't you describe to us precisely how these AI's can easily be developed? Don't bet. Tell us with details.

:lol: Anyone with some intelligence, artificial or not? Computers can play chess at the same level as the finest human players. I'm pretty sure controlling an F1 car isn't any more computationally demanding. If you're so pro-innovation, why not let teams choose whether to run a driver or a computer so we could see who's right? That would be some innovation I'd genuinely like to see.

The points system was changed to hinder a dominant car-driver combo (MS-Ferrari)winning the championship all too soon. Instead we got a system that rewards reliability and consistency and will not favour risk takers.

The new system could provide us with closer racing as long as we have teams that are close together(yeah I know, pure genious...) . We might see more spins, drivers on second place chasing the leader untill they spin out, broken engines, banzai 1st corner manoevers etc. If we get a dominant driver-engine package then the championship could be decided very early on.

Yes, I tend to agree with all that.

Right. Because we've seen so many instances when one driver was running behind another and decided not to overtake because they were having a "good points day." Oh yeah, remember all those times when they were running nose-to-tail, and you thought "if only Lewis would just pass Massa," but he was just doing math in his head and held back. Oh so many times.

Entertaining as always Eric but drivers do do the maths. Maybe things were different when you last watched F1 back on Plymouth Rock? :P Lewis and McLaren were saying all season that they need to avoid taking too many risks. There were quite a few times when Lewis was right behind someone and didn't race him as hard as possible but more than that, if you aren't going to race someone why be nose-to-tail with them at all? The top teams generally hedge their bets and adopt strategies with relatively low risks, which tend to avoid wheel to wheel racing. Alonso was a notable exception this season and the risk paid off for him in the end, but of course he only did that because he had nothing to lose.

And don't tell me it's a two-pronged approach with this AND spec cars because you're wrong. Spec cars work so well that IndyCar, A1GP, GP2, etc are the most viewed series in the world with the best racing. Clearly. And NASCAR's US TV ratings have been WAY up since they went spec. Oh yes, nothing excites me like spec cars. It isn't like ALMS, dirt late models, midgets, sprints, supermods etc have the best racing and the most variety, no, that would never happen.

It's a 2-pronged approach with this AND spec cars; and you love it! And if not, I'll join you watching ALMS sometime.

there's nothing wrong with the points system currently in place. encourage overtaking? don't the stewards already discourage that?

Hi Marlops! Yes, the stewards are a disgrace. They have been ever since they stopped favouring Lewis. :)

:lol: Anyone with some intelligence, artificial or not? Computers can play chess at the same level as the finest human players. I'm pretty sure controlling an F1 car isn't any more computationally demanding. If you're so pro-innovation, why not let teams choose whether to run a driver or a computer so we could see who's right? That would be some innovation I'd genuinely like to see.

You continue to "argue" with fantasy and that is amusing enough to motivate a reponse.

So, first and _one_more_time_, that it might be possible to develop those AI's _does_not_imply_ that they exist today or that their development is "easy" as you, my loopy fellow, claim.

Second, your equating chess playing with F1 racing says a lot about your poor understanding of the subject. Entertain yourself doing a google search (which is, after all, what _you_ consider "reputable" research) and find out the important differences that exist between the two problem domains. You can start anywhere, say, on pattern recognition...

Third, your desire to see AI's racing humans drivers is _again_ indication that you have no clue regarding the problem domain. Heck, even from the point of view of driver safety, it would be unsustainable.

Fourth, the innovation that I argue will benefit the sport is, _first_of_all_, REAL innovation that already EXISTS today but that is not allowed under current regulations. Which part of that remains confusing to you? Existing versus hypothetical, how hard it can be...

Bernie wants this idea to SAVE him paying for those lesser teams that currently score points and get paid for transportation costs etc, because of the points they have won.

The GREEDY OLD b#####d is just looking after the pot of gold that he collects from every race. F(*&^%$#%^&* whatever happens to the SPORT of F1

The sooner Bernie is off and out of F! and for that matter the surface of Earth the better F1 will be.

Bernie wants this idea to SAVE him paying for those lesser teams that currently score points and get paid for transportation costs etc, because of the points they have won.

The GREEDY OLD b#####d is just looking after the pot of gold that he collects from every race. F(*&^%$#%^&* whatever happens to the SPORT of F1

The sooner Bernie is off and out of F! and for that matter the surface of Earth the better F1 will be.

I think they mention that the current points system will be maintained for the constructors championship

I think they mention that the current points system will be maintained for the constructors championship

Yep. You are correct.

The confusion created by the _proposed_ changes remains the most amusing thing about the whole business...

So, first and _one_more_time_, that it might be possible to develop those AI's _does_not_imply_ that they exist today or that their development is "easy" as you, my loopy fellow, claim

:lol: OK so we both agree that they probably could be developed but you object to me saying it would likely be easy. Well, I think you'll find the people involved are merely scientists and therefore ''prostitutes'' (in Maure's ''fantasies'') who will probably be the first to admit they are ''easy''.

Second, your equating chess playing with F1 racing says a lot about your poor understanding of the subject. Entertain yourself doing a google search (which is, after all, what _you_ consider "reputable" research) and find out the important differences that exist between the two problem domains. You can start anywhere, say, on pattern recognition...

Your inference about everyone's understanding of a topic that they have corrected you on says a lot about your appreciation of their expertise. Please, do a literature search for all the seminal contributions I myself have made to the field of pattern recognition, and other cognate disciplines.

Third, your desire to see AI's racing humans drivers is _again_ indication that you have no clue regarding the problem domain. Heck, even from the point of view of driver safety, it would be unsustainable.

Drivers would be left trailing behind anyway. It would be as safe as it is now.

Fourth, the innovation that I argue will benefit the sport is, _first_of_all_, REAL innovation that already EXISTS today but that is not allowed under current regulations. Which part of that remains confusing to you? Existing versus hypothetical, how hard it can be...

Innovations that already EXIST aren't innovation any more. Once upon a time, using a wheel was enough to make a caveman cool but now even Force India understand the basics of wheel technology. But I know that doesn't bother you, Maure: given your lack of expertise in such technology I suppose you can sit back and enjoy F1's being the pinnacle of wheeliness.