Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jem of the Shire

No Car Access To Donington

Donington Park is aiming to make the 2010 British Grand Prix a 'car-free' event, with the crowd arriving entirely by public transport.

The circuit's chief executive Simon Gillett says the track will arrange bus links from nearly towns and cities, and encourage fans to fly into the nearby East Midlands Airport or use the new East Midlands Parkway railway station that is set to open next year.

"This will be the first public transport grand prix," Gillett told the Nottingham Evening Post.

"We are not bringing cars here.

"We are looking to use public transport from all the major conurbations, the airport and the Parkway station."

Critics of the British GP's move to Donington had cited potential traffic and access problems, due to the small number of approach roads and the proximity of the busy airport, as one of the track's shortcomings.

Silverstone famously had to ask all fans to arrive by public transport for the 2000 British GP qualifying day, after heavy rain left the car parks unfit for use, although some areas were able to reopen for race day.

Gillett also insisted that Donington's massive revamp was still on course, despite a recent planning delay.

"We are still on schedule for our construction programme," he said.

"We will have a nine-month construction programme in an 18-month window.

"We have got the time and we have got the money.

"It is going to be the world's best circuit."

As well as bringing the existing sections of the Donington track up to modern Formula 1 standards, the rebuild will see a new infield loop added, as well as new pit, paddock, hospitality and media facilities.

--------------------------------------

This guy's in dreamland if you ask me

Providing if everybody can prove they have travelled using public transport I think there should be an offer of a discount/refund of a certain percentage on your entry ticket regardless of how many days you have bought for. Also, for campers - I think a concessionary ticket for the use of local B&B's and hotels should be offered.

Other than that, I'm with Jem. I don't think it will work.

A F1 GP, a car fest, an event that appeals to petrol-heads, and he wants them to catch the bus with a their beer, BBQ, tent and kids strapped to their back. Or maybe it's in his business plan to sell beer, BBQ, tent and kids at the circuit.

"...encourage fans to fly into the nearby East Midlands Airport....". From where? Anywhere within 200 miles will be faster, more convenient and more comfortable than a plane, and less polluting I'd wager - wonder how many cars it would take to equal one flight that takes around 1700 gals to land and take off, plus 700 gallons per hour. Well I don't really wonder, I'm just bored :P

Simon Gillet must be two people. Not one person could be that stupid.

If only there was another track somewhere in the U.K. capable of holding a proper race................

If only there was another track somewhere in the U.K. capable of holding a proper race................

:D Tell you what there is a nice circular road around the housing estate I live on. You could erect a very small grandstand in my garden. I'll dig out my barbeque - I don't mind people parking locally.

I'm sure I could find a couple of local midgets to satisfy Mrs Ecclestone, she could finance it....

Maure could lie down in the road to be a chicane....

Would have to padlock the drinks cabinet from Kimi....

Yep I definitely think it could work. :D

:D Tell you what there is a nice circular road around the housing estate I live on. You could erect a very small grandstand in my garden. I'll dig out my barbeque - I don't mind people parking locally.

I'm sure I could find a couple of local midgets to satisfy Mrs Ecclestone, she could finance it....

Maure could lie down in the road to be a chicane....

Would have to padlock the drinks cabinet from Kimi....

Yep I definitely think it could work. :D

:lol: What do we do about the 30mph limit on your estate? Or the fact that maure would walk (or choke)? Or that Mrs Meani says your meat is horrible (insert gag)? I don't think you have thought this through.

Public transport to a motor race? They must be out of their minds. Glad I won't be going anyway.

What next? Only being allowed to attend a Greenpeace march if you arrived by Porsche Cayenne Turbo?

It's very easy to get to donny by public transport, that's what I'd be doing anyway.... just hop on the skylink, goes at least hourly every hour each day and drops you right outside the circuit! Just annoying that everyone else now has to do it...

The vast majority of Melbourne GP goers use public transport to get to Albert Park. But I suppose it's not far from the city, and there's a lot of trams to get them there. Carry on.

I'll believe it when I see it, a Grand Prix at Donington that is.

Now to the issue at foot: I say this idea is a little bit bollocky and annoying, but it can be done.

I suppose I should be happy given that Donnington is nearer my house than Silverstone.

I'm not happy, as to me Silverstone is the natural home of the Grand Prix and quite frankly I'm struggling to see how these Donnington traffic plans will work and I'm still to be convinced that the circuit will be ready.

I suppose I should be happy given that Donnington is nearer my house than Silverstone.

I'm not happy, as to me Silverstone is the natural home of the Grand Prix and quite frankly I'm struggling to see how these Donnington traffic plans will work and I'm still to be convinced that the circuit will be ready.