Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kati

Honda Says Goodbye?

These rumours started some hours ago and considering the crisis in automotive market + poor results in motorsport + loss of sponsoring with that silly earthdreams sh*t, I guess has some kinda sense.

http://formula-1.updatesport.com/news/arti...hdraw/view.html

Rumours have been strengthening throughout the day (Thursday) of the impending sale, and possible withdrawal from Formula One, of the Honda team.

Concern began when the parent company, one of the world

If this is true, my heart will ****ing break into a million shards....

I'd hope Jenson would have a good chance of finding another seat somewhere, but maybe not in time for next year. Tbh I've been wondering for a while why on 'earth' Honda and Toyota spend so much money only to make fools of themselves. Perhaps there is some good marketing reason but I can't imagine anyone choosing a Honda because they saw their team in F1, 2 laps down bravely fending off Takuma Sato in last year's Honda.

While it has yet to be officially confirmed, our sources at Brackley have informed us that at tonight's emergency meeting, the Honda F1 team's workforce was advised that the Japanese manufacturer is withdrawing from F1.

The Japanese car giant has said that it will withdraw from F1 in March 2009, and if no buyers have been lined up by that time the entire operation will be closed down.

There will be no forced redundancies at Brackley, however, the team is looking for voluntary redundancies, with many workers spending much of this afternoon contacting rival teams looking for work.

Members of Honda's HGT division currently working in England will return to Japan with immediate effect, where it is understood they will face redundancy.

Honda claims to have two prospective buyers, however, there is a further complication with the news that Honda's withdrawal is total, it will not continue as an engine manufacturer.

If there is a potential buyer out there, and it is hard to see given the current financial climate, the most likely scenario is that Team Principal Ross Brawn might seek an engine deal with his former employer, Ferrari.

This is a sad end to a legendary name, and it is particularly hard on the Brackley workforce.

@ http://www.pitpass.com/fes_php/pitpass_new...es_art_id=36685

well. rubens can now smile wide and say 'ha ha'

****. Dont care about Honda, but I do care about JB! This is NOT good.

Wait and see Toyota pull out, and even Renault might be in a bit of s##t, what with ING, their main sponsor being in the s##t!

****ing hell!

Wait and see Toyota pull out, and even Renault might be in a bit of s##t, what with ING, their main sponsor being in the s##t!

****ing hell!

And then when F1 ceases to be, this forum becomes "Total Guns Religion Lewisteric Global Warming"

The only good news IMO is that this will eventually end with the complete colapse of the Bernie and Max show, and one day like a Pheonix from the ashes a new series, independent of FIA, will rise like the ALMS in american sportcar-engurance racing, a series true to the spirit of Grand Prix racing.

Just heard this on the BBC news. Tragic for Jenson, Ross Brawn and all at Brackley. Sends a shiver down my spine because my world of F1 escapism has been infiltrated by the economic climate.

This doesn't bode well for F1 at all. One manufacturer down, how many more to go?

Does this mean -- whisper it -- Max was right about having to cut costs?

Don't be ridiculous. Max, right about something? Ha! Ze punishment for over spending will be huge.

****ing hell!

2 Brits out of F1 :huh:

Oh well, you can also support the current BRITSH wdc, Mr Hamilton.

;)

Just heard this on the BBC news. Tragic for Jenson, Ross Brawn and all at Brackley. Sends a shiver down my spine because my world of F1 escapism has been infiltrated by the economic climate.

Well, not the first victim:

Circuits: France and Australia say races not economically viable there; Hockenheim saying similar things and talking of ducking out; rumours that the Japanese GP may not alternate between Fuji and Suzuka any more as Fuji wants to drop.

Sponsors: ING struggling, losing staff; similarly RBS

Teams: Williams suffering financially (lack of sponsors); STR open for offers; Honda up for sale; Mercedes' parent company in the caka; Toyota??? Renault???

Unless F1 seriously reinvents itself I foresee problems. Out of curiosity I went to look at the cost of tickets for Silverstone and was a bit horrified by the price. I'm sure I'm not the only one... and where they will really suffer is on corporate tickets/hospitality with companies tightening their belts.

Maybe no bad thing... One thing is sure its not going to be the same after this.

Does this mean -- whisper it -- Max was right about having to cut costs?

Nope.

Honda withdrew because F1 is expensive uselessness, and Mosley did it this way.

If F1 would be developing hybrid technology and stuff like that Honda would have stayed.

Nope.

If F1 would be developing hybrid technology and stuff like that Honda would have stayed.

I agree with ya DOF.

Damn...I'm agreeing with DOF.... :o

Don't be ridiculous. Max, right about something? Ha! Ze punishment for over spending will be huge.

:lol:

Nope.

In an economic downturn companies tend to cut back on research, even useful research. If Honda aren't selling any cars, I can't imagine extra research is top of their list of priorities. Nevertheless, Max has been promoting road relevance in F1 but we will only develop 'hybrid technology and stuff like that' if we ban innovation in other areas, which you and the manufacturers usually oppose. In fact, given some genuine development to do, as on KERS, which is relevant to hybrid cars, teams like Ferrari squeal in pain and ask for the innovation to be made illegal to save money, rather than invest more to develop the idea.

:lol:

In an economic downturn companies tend to cut back on research, even useful research. If Honda aren't selling any cars, I can't imagine extra research is top of their list of priorities. Nevertheless, Max has been promoting road relevance in F1 but we will only develop 'hybrid technology and stuff like that' if we ban innovation in other areas, which you and the manufacturers usually oppose. In fact, given some genuine development to do, as on KERS, which is relevant to hybrid cars, teams like Ferrari squeal in pain and ask for the innovation to be made illegal to save money, rather than invest more to develop the idea.

Now I agree with Murray....

...this fence is getting rather sore to sit on...

Sad news indeed if Honda does indeed pull the plug on the F1 program.

I can't help to think how much the decision not to find sponsors has hurt the bottom line for Honda. Sponsorship is a massive contributing factor to the annual budget of any team, and to go without like Honda have whilst promoting a clean imagine has maybe been a key factor in the team not having sufficient funds to continue in tough economic times.

"If Honda does not race there is no Honda.

As I see it Honda pulled out not because of the costs that they have incurred, let alone not being competitive, but because of the insatiable demands that Bernie has placed on not only the teams but the race tracks for simply more money.

So what is the grid line out going to be after this shakeout?

is it 18 or 16 cars ?

Who knows. As an avid fan watching F1 since way back in the 60's I feel this is and will be the END of F1 as a viewer watched sport let alone a spectator sport at the track where you have to pay an " arm & a leg" to watch this Bernie orchestrated Fiasco.

Bernie in all his greed and the whole of the F1 organisation, should take heed of Honda's withdrawal and come up with some very sensible "affordable" reasons why anyone would want to go to the race track and pay what are very "over the top charges" to see what in effect is a dwindling "Black Hole" of motor racing