Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DOF_power

'could You Imagine The Great F1 Engineers Saying 'i Can't Do That Because It Is Too Complicated' ?

'Could You Imagine The Great F1 Engineers Saying 'I Can't Do That Because It Is Too Complicated' ?

Mario Theissen has hit back at his F1 team colleagues who are critical of the deployment of KERS technology in 2009.

BMW-Sauber has been named by fellow competitors as the only team that vetoed plans to delay the use of controversial energy-recovery systems next year.

pix-t.gif

KERS is an unpopular buzzword in the F1 paddock, as drivers bemoan the safety implications and teams including Ferrari and McLaren-Mercedes criticise the expense and lack of road-relevance.

BMW motor sport director Theissen, however, has hit back, insisting that KERS has been scheduled to debut next year "for quite a long time".

In the German news magazine Spiegel, he hit back at the opposition to the technology, saying "that argument not only speaks of a lack of competitiveness but also a reluctance to play a role in the bigger picture."

FIA president Max Mosley recently criticised Ferrari's stated opposition to KERS.

"Could you imagine the great F1 engineers like Chapman or Duckworth saying 'I can't do that because it is too complicated'?" he said.

"Could you imagine the great F1 engineers like Chapman or Duckworth saying 'I can't do that because it is too complicated'?" he said.

Well of course old boy, Duckers and Chapers are Brits, wtf does anyone expect? We invented everything. Except xenophobia :P

I see your point, DOF, but I think it's an unrealistic comparison. Chapman (especially) innovated without prompting. His ideas were his own. KERS is another rule which some will interpret well and others won't.

I could imagine F1 engineers saying "I won't do that because it's complicated in many ways, too expensive (as someone told me I have to reduce costs by a half..) and makes up almost nothing in terms of lap times.

Great article, DOF.

I can actually imagine Ron Dennis sitting down to lunch with his employees, saying "I can't do that because it is too complicated..." having read the whole Ferrari manifesto which has been written in Italian.

:P

Great article, DOF.

I can actually imagine Ron Dennis sitting down to lunch with his employees, saying "I can't do that because it is too complicated..." having read the whole Ferrari manifesto which has been written in Italian.

:lol:

Great article, DOF.

:lol:

...and alot of those "innovations" led to death for the drivers, and sometimes spectators. Obviously KERS is a technology that can be harnessed, but if the particular unit you have made is not safe, then you shouldn't have to run it. Would you buy a car that could electrocute you, or worse still make the gas tank explode should an errant electrical spark happen?

There is innovation, and then there is stupidity.

No I can't but then on the other hand I'm sure when Chapman was playing around with his ground effect cars, other engineers were saying hang on a minute here.

Criticism would have existed in the past. It's just that because F1 is a lot more global these days, every little sound bite is reported on.