Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Schumikonen

Exploring New Grounds

A few days ago I decided to explore new grounds and venture myself in building a new computer, I started by buying a barebone kit for 129.99 dolares at geeks.com, I got this on saturday for my surprise this came with no manual at all, maybe for a person with some experience in the field this would be no problem but how do I know were thoses cables are supose to be conected, I was expecting a manual to to that part but I continue with the operation without the manual and try to do everything by reading the motherboad, suddenly I notice that I had no cable to conect the DVD burner to the motherboard and the same goes for the hard disk.

I still decided to go ahead with the operation because I was now waiting for the memories and the CPU to arrive, but when they finally came I noticed that the memories I bought were for laptops not for desktops, I was ordering two 240 pins 2gb memories but in the 240 pins list there was one and only one 200 pins memory and that was exactly the one I chose, please don't ask me why, I still don't know, the problem is that they only replece thoses memories for memories of the same kind so I will ahve to buy new memory for my desktop.

Now I have another problem I just installed the CPU is a Intel Pentium D 930 3.0GHz 800MHz 2x2MB Socket 775 Dual-Core and when I tried to install the cooling sink adn the fan, there was no way I could fit it in the motherboard, my motherboard is MSI P6N SLI Platinum Socket 775 Motherboard and is suppose to be ready for this CPU but is not ready for the cooling system that comes with it.

I already ordered a new cooling sink and fan and a Sata and IDE cable, I am still waiting to hear for Geeks about the memories and the manual, I didn't know I would have so many problems to get build a computer but it looks like this is just the beggining, somebody ask me about the drivers ???? I don't know which ones he was talking about now I need to buy an Operating Sistem and install it if I can get everything in place and if I did conect everything right, this is my first time doing this and probably will be my last too.

A few days ago I decided to explore new grounds and venture myself in building a new computer, I started by buying a barebone kit for 129.99 dolares at geeks.com, I got this on saturday for my surprise this came with no manual at all, maybe for a person with some experience in the field this would be no problem but how do I know were thoses cables are supose to be conected, I was expecting a manual to to that part but I continue with the operation without the manual and try to do everything by reading the motherboad, suddenly I notice that I had no cable to conect the DVD burner to the motherboard and the same goes for the hard disk.

I still decided to go ahead with the operation because I was now waiting for the memories and the CPU to arrive, but when they finally came I noticed that the memories I bought were for laptops not for desktops, I was ordering two 240 pins 2gb memories but in the 240 pins list there was one and only one 200 pins memory and that was exactly the one I chose, please don't ask me why, I still don't know, the problem is that they only replece thoses memories for memories of the same kind so I will ahve to buy new memory for my desktop.

Now I have another problem I just installed the CPU is a Intel Pentium D 930 3.0GHz 800MHz 2x2MB Socket 775 Dual-Core and when I tried to install the cooling sink adn the fan, there was no way I could fit it in the motherboard, my motherboard is MSI P6N SLI Platinum Socket 775 Motherboard and is suppose to be ready for this CPU but is not ready for the cooling system that comes with it.

I already ordered a new cooling sink and fan and a Sata and IDE cable, I am still waiting to hear for Geeks about the memories and the manual, I didn't know I would have so many problems to get build a computer but it looks like this is just the beggining, somebody ask me about the drivers ???? I don't know which ones he was talking about now I need to buy an Operating Sistem and install it if I can get everything in place and if I did conect everything right, this is my first time doing this and probably will be my last too.

Buy a Mac

Hi Schumikonen. Without a manual I think it's going to be quite tricky to figure out where everything goes. So check whether you are supposed to have received a manual, and if so, keep harassing the company until they send you it. Otherwise you can maybe get a book on it at a library or search online for detailed instructions - geek.com perhaps put their manual on their site? Anyway, this mess just proves you should stick to god.com. That site definitely comes with a manual.

A good root around sites like these might help Shumi.....

http://www.intel.com/support/processors/pentiumd/index.htm

http://www.retrevo.com/search/v2/jsp/mytre...vo.jsp?page=man

The info must be out there in the ether ;)

And Muzza...

Anyway, this mess just proves you should stick to god.com. That site definitely comes with a manual.

...that was damn cruel, you know they're shut for Christmas :P

Hi Schumikonen. Without a manual I think it's going to be quite tricky to figure out where everything goes. So check whether you are supposed to have received a manual, and if so, keep harassing the company until they send you it. Otherwise you can maybe get a book on it at a library or search online for detailed instructions - geek.com perhaps put their manual on their site? Anyway, this mess just proves you should stick to god.com. That site definitely comes with a manual.

:lol: I already decided to do that but fisrt I have to go with this to end which it may be real close I think it will come as soon as I try to start this PC with all thoses cables in wrong position.

:lol: Good luck Schumikonen! If I were you I'd try to get the instructions before connecting it all up.

...that was damn cruel, you know they're shut for Christmas :P

Let's hope this time they're not up on High on too much incense and partying with the choirboys.

:lol:Good luck Schumikonen! If I were you I'd try to get the instructions before connecting it all up.

Let's hope this time they're not up on High on too much incense and partying with the choirboys.

That's what I want to do but I went to MSI website and I couldn't find the user's manual there and the pictures I found on internet are different form the motherboard I got so I can not use thoses as reference but I'll keep trying for a while but I don't get what I need I will continue on my own.

I spoke to geeks and they told me that I was not supose to get any manual so I am on my own on this but they will refund me for the laptops memories I got as soon as they recieve them but that will delay my plans.

:lol: I already decided to do that but fisrt I have to go with this to end which it may be real close I think it will come as soon as I try to start this PC with all thoses cables in wrong position.

i 've seen a few taken apart, but I 'm not useful here!

Make sure to be certain about which cable goes where though!

You don't want to risk damaging the motherboard! Of course you could have someone else do it!

i 've seen a few taken apart, but I 'm not useful here!

Make sure to be certain about which cable goes where though!

You don't want to risk damaging the motherboard! Of course you could have someone else do it!

I'll try to find the manual but if I don't get it I'll try to get someone to help me with this, this is not what I planned but if there is no other choice I will do that, Medilloni gave me a neat website to find manuals but I just found the one for the CPU adn I already have that one, my big concern is connecting the cables that comes from the case to the motherborad the is very easy to know were they go. I think this weekend I will know if the patient survived the CPU cooler unit and the rest of the cables are coming on the 26th and I'll be ready to test it by then.

I'll try to find the manual but if I don't get it I'll try to get someone to help me with this, this is not what I planned but if there is no other choice I will do that, Medilloni gave me a neat website to find manuals but I just found the one for the CPU adn I already have that one, my big concern is connecting the cables that comes from the case to the motherborad the is very easy to know were they go. I think this weekend I will know if the patient survived the CPU cooler unit and the rest of the cables are coming on the 26th and I'll be ready to test it by then.

From what I know, a manual may be a bit confusing! It's a bit uncharted territory in there for someone without experience!

Of course it's a challenge to pull it through!

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Yep, I can help you out, I've built loads and only a handful have ever blown up, but it's a fairly decent percentage rate of success :whistling:

Seriously, if you have any probs, give me a shout. I am sure with a little bit of application and info we can sort it out between us.

Yep, I can help you out, I've built loads and only a handful have ever blown up, but it's a fairly decent percentage rate of success :whistling:

Seriously, if you have any probs, give me a shout. I am sure with a little bit of application and info we can sort it out between us.

That's a great news, thanks, as you probably read already my biggest problem is with the cables that goes from the case to the motherboard, I know the power supply in connected where it should be so I am not worry about it, I don't know how dangerous could be if thoses cables are not connected where they should be and without a manual there's no way for me to be sure, I guess I will have to trust I did a good job reading the motherborad leyend and interpreting the one in the cables, actually I think I won't have problems with the leds, I think the one that could give me a hard time is the power switch and the reset cables, I still have a couple of days to have everything "in place" I will let you know if I don't feel confident enough to test it out.

That's a great news, thanks, as you probably read already my biggest problem is with the cables that goes from the case to the motherboard, I know the power supply in connected where it should be so I am not worry about it, I don't know how dangerous could be if thoses cables are not connected where they should be and without a manual there's no way for me to be sure, I guess I will have to trust I did a good job reading the motherborad leyend and interpreting the one in the cables, actually I think I won't have problems with the leds, I think the one that could give me a hard time is the power switch and the reset cables, I still have a couple of days to have everything "in place" I will let you know if I don't feel confident enough to test it out.

You can't do any damage to your components if the cables from the motherboard to the case are connected wrong, basically it just won't switch on, or the lights won't come on on the case for the power or hard drive light, etc. There are plenty of other ways of causing damage, but that's not one of them :lol:

Edit: Does this look like your motherboard http://global.msi.com.tw/index.php?func=do...mp;prod_no=1140

[quote name='pabloh20' post='279365' date='Dec 24 2008, 11:06 PM']You can't do any damage to your components if the cables from the motherboard to the case are connected wrong, basically it just won't switch on, or the lights won't come on on the case for the power or hard drive light, etc. There are plenty of other ways of causing damage, but that's not one of them :lol:

Edit: Does this look like your motherboard [url="http://global.msi.com.tw/index.php?func=downloaddetail&type=manual&maincat_no=1&prod_no=1140"]http://global.msi.com.tw/index.php?func=do...mp;prod_no=1140[/url][/quote]

Paul..but its possible to damage the hard disk if you connect the wrong cable right? :D

You can't do any damage to your components if the cables from the motherboard to the case are connected wrong, basically it just won't switch on, or the lights won't come on on the case for the power or hard drive light, etc. There are plenty of other ways of causing damage, but that's not one of them :lol:

Edit: Does this look like your motherboard http://global.msi.com.tw/index.php?func=do...mp;prod_no=1140

It's good to hear that abotu thoses cables and about the picture, my motherboard it looks like that except for some diferences, like that bronze, S like part is not in my one and that one has to IDE connectors and mine has only one, this one has two PCI slots and mine has only one, anyway I will download one of this manual and take a look at it, thanks again for your help.

Paul..but its possible to damage the hard disk if you connect the wrong cable right? :D

I don't know exactly what you mean but my hard disk is a Sata and I the cable to connect it to the MB is on it's way home I am suppose to get it tomorrow so I gess I won't have any problem connecting the hard disk to the MB as this is the only Sata device I got my DVD burner is IDE so that will not be that challenging I hope, one thing that I was thinking is to test the power supply to see how it does without sending any power to the motherboard and then connect everything to it if everything goes well, just a way to minimize problem if the power supply is not working well after crossing the country in the Fedex truck.

That manual has exactly what I needed it I will check everything up again with this, thanks you again for this link.

Well, I have never heard of it, but I suppose anything is possible! :lol:

For a while now, it's been reasonably difficult to connect ide cables the wrong way around and sata is impossible to connect the wrong way. The only thing that used to happen with ide drives was if you had a cable that was slower than the drive/motherboard was capable of, but it wouldn't cause any damage. It's also reasonably difficult to connect the molex connectors to the drives the wrong way around, but I have seen it attempted :lol:

That manual has exactly what I needed it I will check everything up again with this, thanks you again for this link.

No probs.

Yesterday I got the CPU fan and he Sata and IDE cable I needed I put everything in place and try to get the computer running, the fisrt thing I noticed was the fans were all running and no smoke came from anywhere, that was a good sign, this case has a serie of blue LED, when I started the PC they all lighted up but no signal got to the monitor, I though the connections case-MB may be worng so I started to change it in every posible way I could imaging some times one of thoses blue LED turned red, the one that belong to the HHD, I don't know if that is a good signal or not not there was no way to get any signal going to the monitor and another problem I found is that once the pc is plugged there no way to turn it off but turning the power supply off or unplugging it, I found some reviews about this MD and they were not good, some people say that only one in ten of them works so I am thinking about a MB replacement or taking the whole pc to someone who really knows about this to get a better picture of this, I even try different video cards and the results were the same, I know it looks like I don't know what I am doing but one thing is sure, I have learnt some things about PC's in this process so I will try to get this to a good ending even if I have to start from the beggining again, right now my biggest problem is that I have to wait to get some money to made any replacement, I will have a credit in geeks.com but they are not working until the 30th so I am not getting any support from them.

Yesterday I got the CPU fan and he Sata and IDE cable I needed I put everything in place and try to get the computer running, the fisrt thing I noticed was the fans were all running and no smoke came from anywhere, that was a good sign, this case has a serie of blue LED, when I started the PC they all lighted up but no signal got to the monitor, I though the connections case-MB may be worng so I started to change it in every posible way I could imaging some times one of thoses blue LED turned red, the one that belong to the HHD, I don't know if that is a good signal or not not there was no way to get any signal going to the monitor and another problem I found is that once the pc is plugged there no way to turn it off but turning the power supply off or unplugging it, I found some reviews about this MD and they were not good, some people say that only one in ten of them works so I am thinking about a MB replacement or taking the whole pc to someone who really knows about this to get a better picture of this, I even try different video cards and the results were the same, I know it looks like I don't know what I am doing but one thing is sure, I have learnt some things about PC's in this process so I will try to get this to a good ending even if I have to start from the beggining again, right now my biggest problem is that I have to wait to get some money to made any replacement, I will have a credit in geeks.com but they are not working until the 30th so I am not getting any support from them.

I wouldn't worry about your case-MB connections, in the sense of testing/getting a pc working, as they really serve no purpose other than to switch the pc on/off, reset & provide led lights, possibly speaker, depending on your case. As long as you connect the switch and speaker, then for the time being that is all I would worry about. You should also be able to switch off the pc by keeping the power button pressed for 10s. Mind you switcing off at the power supply shouldn't do any harm anyway.

If I were you I would disconnect everything, except the bare assentials. So basically, have your graphics card connected, memory, cpu and obviously power to it all and start testing from there. I am not too familiar with that particular MB, but MSI boards are usually pretty good and I have run a few in my time without any problems. I would take anything that says only 1 in 10 of them work with a chuffing big pinch of salt.

I will apologise if any of these questions sound stupid, I don't mean offence, just trying to establish the basics! :lol: Are you getting any beeping sounds from the mb? They usually sound in a sequence and you can usually find out what its not happy with if you have a quick check on the internet. Or alternatively, is there a fault led display on the mb? Again, you can prob find out what the fault is pointing too with a quick google.

I don't think you mention what graphics cards you have tried, sorry if you have, but do they require extra power to them? Many do these days. Is the power supply you have got able to provide enough juice for the set up you have, do you know? Is the fan for the cpu connected to the correct place on the mb? There are a few boards that won't boot up without sensing a cpu fan. Also, and this is 1 of my favourites that foxed me for hours, is the cpu fan a variable speed fan? If it is, do you have a way of forcing it into full speed? I had a mb once that wouldn't boot up if the cpu fan speed was below a certain rpm, so you can see the fan spinning, but the mb was basically seeing it as fan not working because it was below the threshold rpm, so was stopping the boot up sequence. Much cursing, swearing and gnashing of teeth was done that day!