Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Oli

Honda Rescued!

I partially agree with Mike here. I feel sorry for the guys that may lose their jobs. But from a purely sportive POV, Honda was a total failure.

Smaller teams with smaller budgets have achieved so much more in the past AND present. They are one of the top manufacturers in the world. The manufacturer pushed aside the smaller teams with their worldwide brands and insanely huge amounts of money. And they haven't accomplished that much.

What have Honda done in all these years, after all that money spent? Nothing but up the ante, forcing (along with the other manufacturers) to pour even bigger loads of money into F1. That made teams like SA disappear. Now is Honda's time.

I would regret if Renault pulled out because of my blind support for them. But I recon that if all manufacturers would leave and we should start from scratch with smaller teams then I would in the end be happy with that.

Yes, it's a shame Honda may leave, but it's their fault so I can't feel too much sympathy.

In terms of F1, losing a team is never good even if it's a crappy team. The problem is that in modern times there are not a lot of teams to take Honduh's place, and that's one of the main reasons why I want them to stay. I don't want the grid to end up being like a 6 car scalextric. Actually, on second thoughts, that would be really cool. Lets do that.

From RealHondaF1.com

The much respected Joe Seward at GrandPrix.com is reporting that Michael Schumacher has been in serious talks regarding purchasing the Honda Racing F1 team. As unlikely as it seems, the German has apparently been speaking at length with Ross Brawn about a possible partnership to save the Brackley team. Whilst Schumacher is particularly well funded thanks to his generous Ferrari salary, seven world championship titles and countless endorsement deals, it's doubtful that he would wish to risk the millions required to run a team competitively. However, his name carries a lot of weight, and may well attract the commercial backing required to fund the team, despite the current economic climate.

Any purchase of the team and it's many assets would be relatively cheap, although running costs would be high. Any investment in the team could be a wise move financially, despite the obvious risks. With Honda's 2009 car apparently being capable of taking race wins, according to early data, and the assets being available at a bargain price, it's conceivable that the teams value could increase rapidly, something the 4 or 5 serious bidders would be well aware of.

Any Schumacher involvement in the team is just speculation at this stage, but stranger things have happened.

I believe this makes more sense than anything else I have heard so far and could lead to MS becoming involved as the team's new MD/CEO/Principal and co-owner with most of the operating costs coming from a raft of sponsors brought in by Michael. His refusal of Honda's bike ride appears extremely timely, in the light of this current rumour. Ferrari have rubbished KERS because they can't make it work. Ross has it nailed, I am reliably informed and a swop deal with the Scuderia for power trains may well be in the offing. It also seems uncanny to me that Ferrari should have announced they are to sit down with MS to discuss his future recently. It's way out of left field but by God, it fits.

I partially agree with Mike here. I feel sorry for the guys that may lose their jobs. But from a purely sportive POV, Honda was a total failure.

Smaller teams with smaller budgets have achieved so much more in the past AND present. They are one of the top manufacturers in the world. The manufacturer pushed aside the smaller teams with their worldwide brands and insanely huge amounts of money. And they haven't accomplished that much.

What have Honda done in all these years, after all that money spent? Nothing but up the ante, forcing (along with the other manufacturers) to pour even bigger loads of money into F1. That made teams like SA disappear. Now is Honda's time.

I would regret if Renault pulled out because of my blind support for them. But I recon that if all manufacturers would leave and we should start from scratch with smaller teams then I would in the end be happy with that.

Bernie was right - Honda did F1 a favour by bailing. As Berger says, you can run teams for much less.

I take back my previous comment then.

Which one?

In so much as I didn't think Schumi would get involved.

In fact, I'm sure he was reported in saying he had no interest in management in the past.

On the other hand, Saward is quite well respected isn

In so much as I didn't think Schumi would get involved.

In fact, I'm sure he was reported in saying he had no interest in management in the past.

On the other hand, Saward is quite well respected isn

He's a former editor of Autosport.

There was a 'Joe Seward' who edited Autosport and was also an author of various excellent books on motor sport, if I remember. I had completely forgotten about him - I was thinking it was just a board moniker. The 'Joe' I'm on about was certainly around the F1 scene in the 80s and 90s for sure. He was close to people like Berger and Fittipaldi and did a bit of racing himself, if I remember. That adds a lot of weight to the story if, it was was conveyed accurately. You said, 'Saward'. You obviously misspelled it. I'm gettin' old and senile!

Correct, was. What chance have they had under Brawn's leadership?

Yes, smaller teams would be the second best thing. And I am also happy that Honda failed - they were a joke from the moment they hired Sato.

But they stopped being a joke the moment they hired Brawn. That's why, for me, it is so dissapointing.

From RealHondaF1.com

The much respected Joe Seward at GrandPrix.com is reporting that Michael Schumacher has been in serious talks regarding purchasing the Honda Racing F1 team. As unlikely as it seems, the German has apparently been speaking at length with Ross Brawn about a possible partnership to save the Brackley team. Whilst Schumacher is particularly well funded thanks to his generous Ferrari salary, seven world championship titles and countless endorsement deals, it's doubtful that he would wish to risk the millions required to run a team competitively. However, his name carries a lot of weight, and may well attract the commercial backing required to fund the team, despite the current economic climate.

Any purchase of the team and it's many assets would be relatively cheap, although running costs would be high. Any investment in the team could be a wise move financially, despite the obvious risks. With Honda's 2009 car apparently being capable of taking race wins, according to early data, and the assets being available at a bargain price, it's conceivable that the teams value could increase rapidly, something the 4 or 5 serious bidders would be well aware of.

Any Schumacher involvement in the team is just speculation at this stage, but stranger things have happened.

I believe this makes more sense than anything else I have heard so far and could lead to MS becoming involved as the team's new MD/CEO/Principal and co-owner with most of the operating costs coming from a raft of sponsors brought in by Michael. His refusal of Honda's bike ride appears extremely timely, in the light of this current rumour. Ferrari have rubbished KERS because they can't make it work. Ross has it nailed, I am reliably informed and a swop deal with the Scuderia for power trains may well be in the offing. It also seems uncanny to me that Ferrari should have announced they are to sit down with MS to discuss his future recently. It's way out of left field but by God, it fits.

I'm going to say that this will not happen. Only because then it will.

That's true. I'd like to see Brawn drag them up by the scruff of the neck. Plus they're no longer Honda so I can't really bear a grudge any longer.

Correct, was. What chance have they had under Brawn's leadership?

But they stopped being a joke the moment they hired Brawn. That's why, for me, it is so dissapointing.

I'm going to say that this will not happen. Only because then it will.

Because of the integrity of the alleged source, , I would expect a denial shortly - if, there is no substance to the rumour. I might add that Ferrari have rubbished a story linking the Scuderia's development of KERS with the Peugeot sportscar team. I believe that denial to be a confirmation that they are certainly looking for a 'partner' to help make this KERS thing work. Ferrari make noisy racing cars, not silly energy saving toys and this initiative is entirely foriegn to them. Clearly, they haven't been talking to Brawn about it. I think if MS is involved somehow, Ferrari isn't - which is probably a good thing. Fresh start and all that.

You would prefer to see them go?

I'm with Puma on this one. Competing for the sake of it is romantic and all that, but if a team will be languishing at the back what is the point? I couldn't be bothered with the old Minardi yet have a lot of admiration for STR.

Honda may be rescued, but it's only worth the effort if the new outfit will be competitive in some way.

I'm with Puma on this one. Competing for the sake of it is romantic and all that, but if a team will be languishing at the back what is the point? I couldn't be bothered with the old Minardi yet have a lot of admiration for STR.

Honda may be rescued, but it's only worth the effort if the new outfit will be competitive in some way.

What do you want then? Big teams with big bucks and no passion but only corporate aspiration? Small budget teams that struggle to survive and have success are the very spirit of the sport, just as much as the big hitters. You couldn't be bothered with the 'old Minardi'? Minardi were the most passionate team on the grid, and all the better for it. STR are like the cloned bast*rd child of Minardi with a rich step Dad. There is no purity in ethos of it. It is merely conceived to fill more slender cans full of Red tripe. Do you think Williams like it where they are? Do you think they are not worth the effort?

Rich and nasty doing battle with poor but nice is the fight we experience in our lives everyday. I love seeing this model being played out on a Formula One grid.

I remember when Pierluigi Martini stuck his Minardi on the front row at Phoenix. Glorious.

What do you want then? Big teams with big bucks and no passion but only corporate aspiration? Small budget teams that struggle to survive and have success are the very spirit of the sport, just as much as the big hitters. You couldn't be bothered with the 'old Minardi'? Minardi were the most passionate team on the grid, and all the better for it. STR are like the cloned bast*rd child of Minardi with a rich step Dad. There is no purity in ethos of it. It is merely conceived to fill more slender cans full of Red tripe. Do you think Williams like it where they are? Do you think they are not worth the effort?

Rich and nasty doing battle with poor but nice is the fight we experience in our lives everyday. I love seeing this model being played out on a Formula One grid.

I agree wholeheartedly, Steve. There's room for everyone who has the bottle to get in there and do it. If Honda morphs into something else and Brawn is involved, it will be competitive. Teams have good seasons and bad ones. Maybe McLaren will have a 'shed' in a year or two and BMW or Brawn F1 is top dog. It has always happened and always will. This elitist crap makes me puke.

+1 agree.

How, then would I explain my disdain for Honduh? Because they are big. Because they failed. More than once. Maybe Brawn would have helped them in becoming something glorious. But he arrived too late. I don't feel sorry because he still has a lot to give. Heck, he can go to Renault (I know I would accept him...I forgave Briatore for working with Schumi, after all...)

Honda had their more than fair chance not to become WCC, but to produce at least one decent car, provided the tons of money and resources they poured. Only in the end they recalled that all they had to do is get someone like Brawn.

Maybe they will stay around. Maybe Brawn will finally do what Honda's money and utterly incompetent management couldn't do. I am talking for what they HAVE done. And let me tell you, I am not impressed at all.

I disagree - The world has gone soft. An often used phrase these days is;

"It's not about the winning, it's about the taking part"

B@llocks! :lol:

It's about winning period! Survival of the fittest and all that - you compete or you die. HondaF1 is dead because they couldn't compete. For them to now be replaced with a re-hash of the same will only result the same - death!

Brawn is lauded as the messiah - fail!

At Ferrari he had Todt, Schumacher, Rory, Luca, the Engine guy (the name escapes me) and a team focused on winning. At Honda he has fry and Button - whoopee :lol:

I'm sorry, the re-hashed honda will be a waste of time as a prospective buyer is effectively buying the assets of a failed team. The whole orgainsation wreaks of failure - why should an investor bother? If Honda spent

You would prefer to see them go?

I certainly don't want another team cruising around the grid with no hope of improving. Taking my passionate idealism and putting it aside in favor of realism, the chances of the Honda team becoming anything other than filler is slim at best. My attitude is 'if we cannot see a David Richards take the helm then let them die'.

If it was going to be 'lacklustre', as you say, notwithstanding Honda's decision to pull out, [which, with the recent FIA/FOMA accord, they may regret], I hardly think Ross Brawn would have wasted a whole season developing it or Jenson Button would give up the last chance to extract himself from the whole mess by hanging around to drive it. It may not be the car Ross envisaged originally because it will have a new powerplant, if it runs. But, you can be rest assured that a Brawn car, built from the ground up will be a far more competitive ride than the 'garden sheds' that Jens and Rubihno had to contend with in the Honda years. I would have thought any Ferrari supporter would accept that particular argument. After all, without Brawn's brilliance I doubt the Scuderia would be where they are today.

Brawn is no ubermench. A team's success is built upon a solid foundation of organization, talent, and leadership...something Ferrari had at all levels and Honda does not. Having one competent man in charge of a ship crewed by bartenders will only float, at best.

Well said. I just don't understand anybody who propheces to be a fan of the sport who can hope for a teams demise. There are so many reasons I want to see Honda line up on the grid, not least because I want to see what Brawn can do away from his dream team. Maybe it's because Brackley is just down the road from me, but I don't want to see seven hundred unemployed either.

I am a passionate fan of the sport which is why I adhere to the very core principles of Formula 1: The best win and the rest strive to win or fail. I don't wish for Honda's demise, per se, but contenting ourselves with grid 'fillers' with no hope of improving is hardly racing.

I remember when Pierluigi Martini stuck his Minardi on the front row at Phoenix. Glorious.

So you're hoping for a glorious moment from Honda? I was completely in support of Super Aguri because they were small but had a very focused, talented, organized team that took a year's old tub and went racing with it...achieving some truly glorious moments. Can you envision Honda doing the same thing? I can't. I don't wish for Honda's demise, but I don't give a rat's bald arse if they go away. Aguri I mourned for, Honda I'll shrug over.