Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HandyNZL

Usf1 Team???

It is being reported that a US Formula 1 team is on the cusp of birth, expected delivery in 2010, with journo Peter Windsor one of the main players alongside some other notable US motorsport movers and shakers.

Do you think this is a bit pie in the sky?

Could anyone seriously want to get involved in F1 these days with no sponsors out there, engine supply drying up, and the like?

Everyone knows yanks are stupid ( :P ) but surely this is not a wise move, considering that there are no Nth American races, and no doubt, only a small amount of coverage on TV of F1 compared to the rolling billboard that is NASCAR.

I'd like to see more teams, obviously, and whilst Max has sent out another cost cutting measures letter, he has once again missed the most obvious way of cutting costs for teams - allowing ONE car teams - maybe then news like a US team might actually make it off the print press and onto the pit lane for real.

It does seem an odd time to do this when others are pulling out... well it does involve Peter Windsor... hmmm

Whilst single entries are a good idea (and has been done before) the problem here is the current economics/setup:

1) The FIA require a bond to be put up for entry (is it $50m? Can't remember) which would make it impossible to justify for a one car team. Personally I think is a stupid idea to be at this level as it denies entry from new teams - OK we don't want millions of Forti-type cars, but the current level is too high IMHO (what was it Martin Brundle said - the reason they were called Forti is cos it felt like there were that many of their cars on the track... :) )

2) With all teams having to be a manufacturer and no customer cars, again I can't see the business case stacking up currently; as I recall in the 70s there were 1-car teams and these were customer cars. Costs too much to research and build.

3) It would require the existing teams to agree (some chance of that) and also would dilute their TV revenue earnings pot (don't see that happening) unless Bernest makes the money pot bigger.

So the problem is fundamentally the Frankenstein's monster which FIA/Bernie have created through their rules and commercial setup. This naturally will favour big-money manufacturers and work against privateers, which is great when the economy is booming and leaves it vulnerable as it is now when times get tough.

Well it does make sense (or more sense that in recent years) that a new team would want to enter from 2010. This is because of Maxeen's (and indeed FOTA's) cost cutting measures. Engines and gearboxes will be lovely and cheap next year so it makes things much easier for a new entrant. Furthermore, autosport.com reckon the teams have already agreed, which would make sense; the teams have finally realised that the survival of the sport is most important and that F1 needs more teams, even if it takes a little money from them.

Source

JPM leading a new team sponsored by KFC or Coke or the like, would be great.

People who like incidents would be satisfied.

But in all seriousness, any new team is always good news. The bigger the grid, the better. What was the last American F1 team, if any? Jaguar maybe? Is this team to be based on UK (I suppose it must be unless they're daft)

But in all seriousness, any new team is always good news. The bigger the grid, the better. What was the last American F1 team, if any? Jaguar maybe? Is this team to be based on UK (I suppose it must be unless they're daft)

I read on autosport.com "Sources indicate that USF1 plan to construct their own chassis at their North Carolina base, with the ban on in-season testing making it more feasible for an F1 team to be based outside of Europe for all but the stretch of European races between May and September."

Perhaps not so daft after all.

The only one I can think of as all-American is Penske in 75/76, With John Watson and the fantastic Mark Donohue - or does the Team Haas effort count in the mid 80's?

I read on autosport.com "Sources indicate that USF1 plan to construct their own chassis at their North Carolina base, with the ban on in-season testing making it more feasible for an F1 team to be based outside of Europe for all but the stretch of European races between May and September."

Perhaps not so daft after all.

:lol: It wouldn't be very rad for their fans if Team USA were based in Europe, I suppose. But still, they'll probably be at a disadvantage over there. Harder to poach people within F1 and harder to collaborate with the best F1 contractors and suppliers etc. One of the most predictable pleasures for me in F1 is watching Toyota fritter away their millions over in Cologne every season.

:lol: It wouldn't be very rad for their fans if Team USA were based in Europe, I suppose. But still, they'll probably be at a disadvantage over there. Harder to poach people within F1 and harder to collaborate with the best F1 contractors and suppliers etc. One of the most predictable pleasures for me in F1 is watching Toyota fritter away their millions over in Cologne every season.

I agree, better to be based near the heart of F1.

If I had $5 billion, I'd buy Hawaii!

I would't do that either!

I would just let it stay in my account and let the interest pile up till the bank says its now $10 billion till then, I would pest my Dad for my living expenses.

Well, you know I was kidding. I would have my own supercar factory with DOF as the big engineer, Steve as someone else, ecap to take pics for the car and send it as unoficially leaked photos, and sending the same pics as offcial photos with better resolution the next day, George be incharge of something I don't know, Eric incharge of the canteen, Ankit would be incharge of financial stuffs, Muzzza.....duno...Paul, the computer guy, Jenson as our test driver for Jems and Bens sake and Andres incharge of paint and polishing of the car, acutally he just has to stand near the car so that the people who are painting and polishing the car has to make sure it shines more than his head and ,everyone else in the forum are just take up whatever position you want! Cos I have $5billion to burn.

I was waiting for my friends to call me, so I was having some free time, I am going out for some shoping, Bye.

oops! forgot to mention about girls! :D How can I forget...bloody helll...girls could pose next to the cars, ie if ever we finish making one! :P

:lol:

I would't do that either!

I would just let it stay in my account and let the interest pile up till the bank says its now $10 billion till then, I would pest my Dad for my living expenses.

Well, you know I was kidding. I would have my own supercar factory with DOF as the big engineer, Steve as someone else, ecap to take pics for the car and send it as unoficially leaked photos, and sending the same pics as offcial photos with better resolution the next day, George be incharge of something I don't know, Eric incharge of the canteen, Ankit would be incharge of financial stuffs, Muzzza.....duno...Paul, the computer guy, Jenson as our test driver for Jems and Bens sake and Andres incharge of paint and polishing of the car, acutally he just has to stand near the car so that the people who are painting and polishing the car has to make sure it shines more than his head and ,everyone else in the forum are just take up whatever position you want! Cos I have $5billion to burn.

I was waiting for my friends to call me, so I was having some free time, I am going out for some shoping, Bye.

oops! forgot to mention about girls! :D How can I forget...bloody helll...girls could pose next to the cars, ie if ever we finish making one! :P

Post of the year :lol: !

:lol:

Actually I thought of the job you should have given me in your earlier post: FIA boss.

:lol: , I want nothing to do with FIA.

So if drivers will be American, I'd take Summerton and Kyle Busch with Graham Rahal testing.