Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HandyNZL

Usf1 Team???

It will be an embarrassment to USA (although they're used to embarrassing themselves, no offence!).

Fantastic to have a new team, but the fact that they want to employ only American drivers, instead of getting the best available, shows that they cant be taken too seriously and are going to slump cos lets face it America doesnt produce many good f1 drivers

The last thing F1 needs is more fanboys.

F1 needs to eliminate the bans and restrictions and go racing again.

Yep.

You know I agree with you on this. That's why I said it "might make sense business-wise" (rather than racing-wise).

The right kind of Americans (if we can be choosy) are always welcome... pity we can't be choosy about Europeans...

It will be an embarrassment to USA (although they're used to embarrassing themselves, no offence!).

Fantastic to have a new team, but the fact that they want to employ only American drivers, instead of getting the best available, shows that they cant be taken too seriously and are going to slump cos lets face it America doesnt produce many good f1 drivers

Yeah, we all know Phil Hill was a crap driver.

Well American drivers have not traditionally done that well in F1 (correct me if I'm wrong), but that may be because of the limited opportunities they have had, my understanding is that USF1 team would be intending to change that and change the trend.

I realise you're being sarcastic AutoR ;) , but I'd imagine few see him as the same one that Jim Clark said he thought was his toughest competitor, he nver seems to get the press.... Mario Andretti was damn fine (but sorry, his family don't seem to be from the same tadpoles), but best of all, Mark Donohue is the kind of driver USF1 could do with - fantastic with development, and mighty fast.

Peter Revson too, bloody quick - the US has had some true greats, but maybe recent times, and waning interest in the European side of m/sport, has created this impression that US drivers don't cut it - talent isn't country dependant!

But, if they want a WDC, then they might have to re-think their 'US Team' - perhaps keeping US sponsors, as much US employment as poss, US skills and the mighty media, but don't burn bridges with drivers...?

Any new addition the grid is welcome, in my book. Just how USF1 expect to raise sponsorship cash in the US is beyond me. However, I wish them luck, Windsor is a good man and knows his onions. The speculation that they may involve Barrichello in season one may be a smart play - as the Americans say. Alex Gurney? A real son of a gun! A bit old at 33 perhaps but boy would that make MY day! - as the Americans say.

I said America doesnt produce many good f1 drivers - I didnt say it produces none at all!

My point is USF1 are going to very limited in their choice if they only want to employ American drivers. I dont understand why they're doing that anyway, what are they trying to prove? Why not just enter A1GP instead which actually is about nationality versus nationality?

So what if USF1 want to pick an American driver, all teams pick drivers for reasons other than who is the best...

Indeed and nationality is one of those reasons... Japanese, British, and German come to mind. Come to think of it, aren't those posters complaining about a US team hiring US drivers the same that look the other way when it happens on existing teams?

Anyway.

Have to wonder why a team like FI is the only one with enough self-respect not to impose on us an Indian driver... give them time, though.

They should pick at least one Andretti. It won't look like an USF1 team otherwise.
+1 agree, 1st bit of sense that's come out of you in a while!

Can't say I really give a crap as if history is anything to go by, being a new team they will spend several seasons at the back of the grid.

At least it gives Force India and Honda/Brawn/Virgin/Whoever someone to fight against....

Sad.. but very true.

They should pick at least one Andretti. It won't look like an USF1 team otherwise.

If they really wanted a rivalry, put Marco Andretti and Al Unser III in the team.

It started with first generation: Bobby and Al Unser vs Mario Andretti

It continued with the second generation: Al Unser Jr. vs Michael Andretti

So part 3, here we come.

My recommendation I think was for Summerton and Kyle Busch with Graham Rahal testing. That still stands.

If they really wanted a rivalry, put Marco Andretti and Al Unser III in the team.

It started with first generation: Bobby and Al Unser vs Mario Andretti

It continued with the second generation: Al Unser Jr. vs Michael Andretti

So part 3, here we come.

My recommendation I think was for Summerton and Kyle Busch with Graham Rahal testing. That still stands.

I would take JPM, definitely, either as driver or tester. Would be a waste not to make use of his knowledge of tracks and to some extent cars (even after the changes they have been through)

I would take JPM, definitely, either as driver or tester. Would be a waste not to make use of his knowledge of tracks and to some extent cars (even after the changes they have been through)

Wouldn't work for the US part of USF1.

Wouldn't work for the US part of USF1.

Shame though, he's a brilliant F1 driver and still missed (by me)

Is there a major point to this team though.

Will they appeal F1 to the US, I'm not sure they will and whilst we need as many teams as we can get, surely they are doomed to the back of the grid.

Is there a mjor point to this team though.

Will they appeal F1 to the US, I'm not sure they will and whilst we need as many teams as we can get, surely they are doomed to the back of the grid.

It's an extra team entering a formula that has been hampered by controversy, blandness and the harsh economic climate. You want to be choosey? I applaud their involvement and welcome it with open arms.

Shame though, he's a brilliant F1 driver and still missed (by me)

and the restaurants within a one mile radius of every circuit on the F1 calender. Some say this started the down turn.

and the restaurants within a one mile radius of every circuit on the F1 calender. Some say this started the down turn.

:lol:

But, I miss him too. It would have been really nice to watch him wrestle this season with the new rules..

Not Sumo wresteling.