Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DOF_power

Swiss Veteran Slams F1 Powerbrokers

"When I hear about Mosley's plans, I think the FIA should not be designing the cars.

It is not for them to prescribe how an engine should perform and make everyone use the same transmission. I hope F1 does not move towards being a spec-series because I think the interest would reduce."

You, me and every true race fan out there Mr. Surer.

Swiss veteran slams F1 powerbrokers

Ecclestone and Mosley losing their way?

05/02/09 09:17 vide.gif

ecclestone-fia-z-02_151208.jpg

Time for a change?

Marc Surer, a Swiss Grand Prix driver of the 80s, has issued a damning appraisal of Formula One

F1's already moved towards being a spec series and most people didn't even notice the lack of innovation.

Switzerland is a very strange country! You speed a lil bit u get a prison sentence yet they have the world's greatest driving roads, now, they don't sell supercars but some Swiss race driver has a go at Der Max & Bernie!

I can live with engine speccing if it reduces costs. I think there are more important areas that differentiate the cars anyway. But we've had this discussion "ad finitum" as my father would say.

I can also live with the move to other places worldwide. I don't know why everyone always wants to have a go at the Sheikhs (particularly as the last two new tracks were in Spain and Singapore) just for wanting a piece of the action. But it's always about the Sheikhs. "They don't really like Formula One; they just want to show off" etc. It's just jealousy- go where the money is I say. I'd rather have F1 in Abu Dhabi than no F1 at all.

Most of the current European tracks are totally neutered from their glory days anyway; of the European tracks only Spa and Monaco deserve a permanent place on the calendar IMO, and that's only because at the moment they're the only truly unique tracks.

In summary- stuff heritage. Time to move on!

Yeah the 'Sheikhs' comment is a bit dodgy. I tend to agree with the rest too. Though I'd like to see races in the big European countries for history's sake.

Surer also said he thinks the stewards hand down too many penalties to the drivers.

"Formula one should be about action, and overtaking is already difficult enough without punishing it when it happens."

HEAR HEAR!!!

Penalties is what ruins F1 for me. Let the drivers do what they want (nothing ridiculous of course)

No problems with Bernie.

He's made F1 in the sport we love today.

What sport ?!

There isn't any sport, it's business; if anything Ecclestone killed the sport along with Mosley and Balestre.

No problems with Bernie.

He made the sport but also ruins certain aspects of it, so I can still dislike him!

He made the sport but also ruins certain aspects of it, so I can still dislike him!

He has an attractive daughter, I doubt he is her father! :D

Let F1 go to the Sheiks. And hopefully someone will put together a new European based race series that just regulates overall maximum and minimum dimensions and engine cylinders and capacity. And then bring back the old tracks - the old Zandvoort, the old Osterrichering and the Nordshleife. I guess I can keep dreaming.

No problems with Bernie.

There is some sort of sarcasm sign you should have put there.

Honestly, I have no problem with him as I doubt it would be such a global attraction without his input

Bernie was succesfuly failing at Brabham when F1 was already a global attraction. And it was even fun to watch.

Let F1 go to the Sheiks. And hopefully someone will put together a new European based race series that just regulates overall maximum and minimum dimensions and engine cylinders and capacity. And then bring back the old tracks - the old Zandvoort, the old Osterrichering and the Nordshleife. I guess I can keep dreaming.

The problem with that is safety. The number of deaths is not acceptable for a TV audience. Therefore it would be underfunded and of no interest to the top drivers.

I appreciate that everyone is nostalgic for the old days, but unfortunately you can't go back :(