Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jem of the Shire

Bourdais Confirmed For Str

Frenchman Sebastien Bourdais has earned a second year at Toro Rosso, reducing British driver Jenson Button's hopes of staying in Formula One.

The 29-year-old Bourdais had spent an anxious winter waiting while the team assessed alternatives.

But he was confirmed as team-mate to rookie Sebastian Buemi on Friday.

Button was one of those linked to Toro Rosso and their decision means the Englishman's hopes rest with a rescue package for the collapsed Honda team.

Honda quit F1 in December, citing falling car sales and the global financial crisis.

Toro Rosso team principal Franz Tost said: "We expect him [bourdais] to profit from the experience he gained last season.

"He now knows the F1 environment, tracks and the team and the return of slick tyres should suit his driving style."

After 11 years using grooved rubber, slick, untreaded tyres, are being re-introduced to F1 this season among a raft of other rule changes aimed at improving the quality of racing.

Bourdais was overshadowed for much of last season by former team-mate Sebastian Vettel, who has been promoted to the main Red Bull team alongside Mark Webber for 2009.

And Bourdais, a four-time winner of the US-based Champ Car series, admitted his relief at finally securing the drive.

"It has been a very long and difficult winter, but now the waiting is finally over and I am really excited about tackling my second season with Scuderia Toro Rosso," he said.

"Now I can focus on preparing for the coming season. It promises to be a very interesting one, thanks to all the rule changes."

Red Bull launch their new car in Jerez in Spain on Monday, ahead of a major three-day test involving many of the leading F1 teams.

Toro Rosso will use the same car as Red Bull, but fitted with a Ferrari engine rather than the Renault used by their parent team.

-----------------------------

Good for Bourdais as he deserves it, but what about Button?! A couple of years ago he was mixing it up with the front-runners in his little BAR, and now he's most likely going to spend a year playing f1 games on his N64.

A massive shame in my opinion, and just plain ridiculous that such a talent, and with all his experience, isnt even going to be in the sport

I'm glad about that. It would be a shame for the most memorable moment in his Formula One career to be getting a penalty at Fuji for failing to pull over to let a Ferrari through.

Seriously, why don't they just rename STR Team Sebastien?

Also I think that Sato is a better driver than Bourdais and the decision has been made on money and not on driver ability. I also think that it would have been a good business decision by Red Bull to promote their drink in Japan. Really gutted for him, I don't see him getting a drive with another team now. Hopefully something works out for him, he seems like a really nice guy.

But STR needs money... though if they had signed Sato I wouldn't have complained either but... Bourdais deserves this chance.

By the end of the season, y'all be going "button....who?" - he has had more than his fair chances in F1 and it's his own dumb greed that kept him at Honda/BAR.

As for Bourdais, well now he gets to build on what was really an unlucky season for him in 2008. If the 50/50 calls go his this way this season, then he should make a fine midpack runner with the Toyota and Williams boys.

Yeah. Bourdais might make an OK midfield runner but then again he'll never make it beyond mediocre. Even if the car didn't suit him, a good driver, with his level of experience, would have made more of his chances.

But STR needs money... though if they had signed Sato I wouldn't have complained either but... Bourdais deserves this chance.

Indeedy. Sato has had his chance(s) and didn't achieve all that much, Bourdais deserves another season to show his talent, if he's got any that is. He was very unlucky last year so he has a good case for staying in F1 (although what Murray said is also true) , even if all it came down to was raising cash.

Good news for Seb..B..erm.. Bourdais.

He deserves his seat, but yet again Sebastian Team Racing have 2 Sebastians with both their intials SB. :wacko:

If only Sato was called Sebastian he might of got better luck?

I agree with Team Formula One, a lack of experience in the team could be dangerous. Atleast Berger had the experience and racing knowledge to help with strategy etc.

Sato could of brought that to the team and helped with testing and developing the car with his experience, but money rules in F1 at the moment.

I reserve my judgement with Buemi though, I dont know much about him but theres alot of hype. If he doesnt perform or Bourdais doesnt perform then maybe Sato still has a chance?

Toro Rosso did say they wished to have youth and experience and I'm not sure they have that, in F1 terms at least.

Perhaps the departure of Berger may have changed this strategy.

Ya!

Good decision. I think there was something about the tears of that boy last year that hinted a strong passion and desire. Now that STR have given him the commitment, he may take the bull (ahem) by the horns and lead the team in style. Hanging around for Button was not an option.

Anyhoo, if he falls flat on his arse and Jenson is at home triming his whispy bum fluff, they have a driver in waiting.

Toro Rosso did say they wished to have youth and experience and I'm not sure they have that, in F1 terms at least.

Perhaps the departure of Berger may have changed this strategy.

Buemi: youth

Bourdais: experience (well, in ChampCar & Le Mans)

Good decision. I think there was something about the tears of that boy last year that hinted a strong passion and desire. Now that STR have given him the commitment, he may take the bull (ahem) by the horns and lead the team in style. Hanging around for Button was not an option.

Anyhoo, if he falls flat on his arse and Jenson is at home triming his whispy bum fluff, they have a driver in waiting.

:lol: I agree

And therein lies the difference between Jens and Seb....Seb still has that fire...Jens appears more worried about his paycheck - when was the last time you saw him show any emotion, or say anything other than the company line of "we are working together...blah de blah blah"

Drivers.

He did it in 2007 I remember.

Meanwhile

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

<h2 class="uppercase clear">F1 cost cuts saved Bourdais' STR seat</h2>

Sunday 8th February 2009

SebastienBourdais_1513169.jpgIf it wasn't for the dramatic cost-cutting measures introduced by the FIA at the end of the 2008 season, then Sebastien Bourdais may well have missed out on securing a race seat this year.

Bourdais initially looked like he was on his way out of F1 after Toro Rosso made it clear that they are looking for a driver with personal sponsorship. However, the team later changed their mind after motorsport's governing body announced major cost-cutting measures.

Frenchman Bourdais, who was competing with Takuma Sato for the final seat at STR, admits things didn't look very rosy in the beginning as he struggled to find financial backers.

"The choice of driver was firstly linked to the need to find sponsors, and then it wasn't, and then it was again," he told French newspaper L'Equipe.

"Originally it was effectively essential, and then when all the cost-saving measures were taken into account, it was clear that Red Bull would save $100 million on its two teams.

"All of a sudden it became much less of a worry and I was back at the head of the queue compared to their initial preferences.

"Previously (manager) Nicolas Todt had looked everywhere for backers but it didn't go as he would've liked because of the difficult economic climate."

The 29-year-old says although the situation "unbearable", he didn't take it personally.

"I've tried not to take it personally," he added.

"I fully understood that it was linked to the economic context - which was complicated for both the team and the wider economy.

"There was a moment when it was truly hard. The situation was just unbearable. It's taken time, quite simply.

"From a competitive standpoint I saw that the team had a real wish for continuity and to do a second season with me - there was a certain investment made last year.

"As far as I'm concerned, we didn't really have success and therefore it would've been a shame to end it there.

"It was the wish of (team boss) Franz Tost, the engineers and the mechanics to ensure that there was a sequel to the story because we saw it had potential last year."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bollocks, they have already spent a fortune on KERS and are saving money after they have replaced all their tissue papers with used news papers.