Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

maure

Pre-season Testing

Wow, well done Button, I guess the Merc engine is doing well, btw are they using Merc engines or Honda?? BTW the Toyota is the ugliest!

Who is going to be fast in 2009?

The change in the Formula 1 rules means that the sport is looking at a potential shake-up of the established order, but the testing in recent weeks has been very difficult to read and it has become clear that some teams are avoiding showing their hand until the Australian GP, while others are going for times in order to achieve other goals (such as selling sponsorship).

The latest tests in Jerez resulted in Sebastian Vettel's Red Bull setting the fastest time, although his Red Bull Racing team-mate Mark Webber was only 11th fastest overall. Most of the teams managed sigificant mileage with Toyota the only organisation to top 1300 miles of running, although Red Bull, BMW Sauber and Williams all did more than 1200 and Ferrari and McLaren were both in the 1100 range. Renault did only 830 and Force India did just 625. These figures are probably more interesting than the lap times or the order. Toyota's Timo Glock was second fastest with Fernando Alonso third for Renault. Then came Nick Heidfeld's BMW and the two Ferraris. Heikki Kovalainen was seventh quickest in his McLaren. This led to the inevitable stories suggesting that McLaren was in trouble but the reality seems to be that the team is keeping its powder dry. Ferrari is doing the same, while Williams and BMW are generally running with full fuel loads as playing games with the weight of the cars serves only to confuse.

Mark Webber told the Herald Sun newspaper in Melbourne that he reckons there are as many as seven teams in the running for victory in Melbourne because analysis of long runs, rather than qualifying bursts are more important. The degradation of tyres is going to be a key element in the sport this year as the new slicks are wearing out and so the fastest cars in qualifying may not be the race winners, particularly if overtaking is easier, as the drivers are suggesting.

Many of the teams have new parts that they have yet to put on the cars in public tests which they are going to use in Melbourne. There will be much interest in this, particularly at the rear where the diffusers are creating a lot of interest as teams have adopted very different attitudes towards the rules in this area. It remains to be seen who will use KERS and who will wait and see. In theory it is the way to go but most of the teams these days operate very strict systems of proving new parts and would rather not risk a mechanical failure with KERS.

When all is said done, therefore, the contest seems to be wide open.

source: grandprix.com

McLaren may not be impressing with their out-and-out lap times so far in testing, but at the first day of this week's Barcelona test they surprised the paddock with a radical reshape to their car's floor.

Rather than a flat continuous floor inside the coke bottle shape, the MP4-24 has appeared with a curious cutaway section just ahead of the rear wheels.

A triangular section of floor is missing between the forward part of the floor, which follows the curve of the sidepods, and a squared off edge just ahead of the diffuser.

The rules demand a flat bottom underneath the car, with no part of the car visible from below. In recent years this cut-out would have exposed the flip-ups that surrounded the sidepods, but the cleaner sidepod lines allows the team to try this new floor shaping.

A diffuser creates its downforce at two points: firstly at the kick-line between the diffuser/floor, then secondly at its leading edge.

By effectively moving this leading edge backwards, McLaren are also moving the downforce it creates towards the rear. This may be part of a McLaren strategy to focus downforce production on the front wing and diffuser, as both devices are efficient at creating downforce with little drag.

If these two devices can create enough downforce, then the rear wing can be smaller reducing drag and gaining speed on the straights.

With no question on the floor's legality, McLaren may have stolen a march on the opposition at a time that many observers have been questioning the team's testing pace.

McLaren confirmed on Thursday that the introduction of the new floor came alongside the use of a new front wing and top body. The team conducted back-to-back tests in the morning and afternoon with and without the parts to establish a baseline for the improvements, and will now work on honing the developments.

autosport.com

Nice pics abbas, is it me or is the Renault a little better looking than before? I think they changed the front wing or something.

Cheers Abbas! Somehow it definitely looks better. They got rid of the shark fin and maybe the light flatters the colour scheme? Maybe it just takes a good photographer to show it in its natural glory. In your last pic (of the exhaust) the car looks very intricately sculpted.

The top thingie is not in the ugly shape anymore! XD

Oh, and this spot the difference is fun :P

I didn't have enough space to move back and take pictures of whole car to show the complete package, and if I had to do that then I would have to get out of the Reno stall, which is sorrounded by ropes or chains which would obstruct the picture. I liked the car, I did get to sit in the Jaguar, I will post the picutes soon.

I have updated the album, it includes pictures of old F1 cars too, isn't the Jaguar beautiful? Please don't mind, I had to take pictures of some cars in detail to study the airflow etc etc. Some of you may find it very boring.

Reno stand was one my favourites so I have uploaded the other cars too.

http://s589.photobucket.com/albums/ss337/freak_bull/

Is there anywhere you can watch live timing of the testing? Just looked on the circuits website as they used to do timing for the tests but i cant find it anymore!

Is there anywhere you can watch live timing of the testing? Just looked on the circuits website as they used to do timing for the tests but i cant find it anymore!

http://www.sportlifepress.com/index.php?op...t&chatid=17 This one asks if you want a to d/load a little gubbins to make it 'live' - if you don't say yes, then just refresh the page every few mins.

http://www.motor21.com/noticia.asp?dt=315&nt=61287

Both of those seem to have been the most reliable over the last few days Ben. And if your Spanish is rusty, there's always this... babelfish.yahoo.com ;)

Ross Brawn says Button's sterling pace in the BGP001 on Monday was genuine.

"If everyone knew how much fuel we had on board, they would be surprised," Brawn told Auto Motor und Sport, who said the Briton was 'smiling' as he gave his answer.

"Even our engine partner Mercedes didn't believe it when we told them," he added.

Barrichello posted 1:20.966 at lunch in Barca today. He was second overall despite some problems this morning. I think this car is expremely fast - period.

K. Raikkonen (Ferrari F60)-1:20.314-55 laps

K. Nakajima (Williams FW31)-1:20.907-66 laps

R. Barrichello (BrawnGP BGP001)-1:20.966-111 laps

J. Trulli (Toyota TF109)-1:21.182-121 laps

M. Webber (Red Bull RB5)-1:21.347 -66 laps

N. Heidfeld (BMW-Sauber F1.09)-1:21.615-127 laps

A. Sutil (Force India VJM02)-1:21.834-82 laps

F. Alonso (Renault R29)-1:21.937-111 laps

H. Kovalainen (McLaren-Mercedes MP4-24)-1:22.328-87 laps

S. Bourdais (Toro Rosso STR04)-1:23.039-14 laps

S. Buemi (Toro Rosso STR04)-(N/A)-06 laps

Ferrari... Too good to be true? :unsure:

Williams and BGP... Better than expected?

Nothing else!

K. Raikkonen (Ferrari F60)-1:20.314-55 laps

K. Nakajima (Williams FW31)-1:20.907-66 laps

R. Barrichello (BrawnGP BGP001)-1:20.966-111 laps

J. Trulli (Toyota TF109)-1:21.182-121 laps

M. Webber (Red Bull RB5)-1:21.347 -66 laps

N. Heidfeld (BMW-Sauber F1.09)-1:21.615-127 laps

A. Sutil (Force India VJM02)-1:21.834-82 laps

F. Alonso (Renault R29)-1:21.937-111 laps

H. Kovalainen (McLaren-Mercedes MP4-24)-1:22.328-87 laps

S. Bourdais (Toro Rosso STR04)-1:23.039-14 laps

S. Buemi (Toro Rosso STR04)-(N/A)-06 laps

Ferrari... Too good to be true? :unsure:

Williams and BGP... Better than expected?

Nothing else!

What's scary is, kimi say's there's more speed to com :o

What, when Massa joins the test?

I have a strange wonderful feeling about Kimi and his chances for 2009....look I can't keep smiling --------------> :D:D :D :D:D

I have a strange wonderful feeling about Kimi and his chances for 2009....look I can't keep smiling --------------> :D:D :D :D:D

I can see. :D