Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FormulaSP

Brawn Gp

What happens if Brawn get to Melbourne (I've heard from Meds that they're gonna be there) and are roaming the midfield?

Sorry to put a dimmer on it, but I'd be careful about building them up too much, might end up disappointed.

What happens if Brawn get to Melbourne (I've heard from Meds that they're gonna be there) and are roaming the midfield?

Sorry to put a dimmer on it, but I'd be careful about building them up too much, might end up disappointed.

I expect they'll be a little disappointed but not completely disheartened. Ross did say it was another transitional season. However, I think they are further ahead than they imagined they would be and though the other top teams will make several steps forward, so will Brawn and without mid-season testing the top teams are likely to be struggling all year to get on terms. It's all about reliability in the end. If BGP can enjoy that luxury, they just might end up in the records books.

Scoring points consistently would be a great, spectacular, result for BGP as would be to get into Q3 regularly. In all truth, they do not need to do more.

However, if they do too well or too poorly is when things would get strange. Let's not forget that there is a spec regulation fever running amock F1 and BGP has destroyed it all with their performance so far.

Hmmmm, maybe Mercedes may start regretting supplying Brawn GP with engines. Mercedes may find them selves behind them for quite sometime this season.

How weird would it be if Jenson was the top British driver this year. That'd completely throw the UK "I love Lewis" band wagon completely!

Im glad Jenson looks to have another competitive car this year. I still think hes a great driver, and he hasnt got many years left in him so its about time that he starts to mix it up at the sharp end again.

That would be so typical! 2008 it's all Lewis, Lewis, Lewis. So far, 2009 will look like Jenson, Jenson, Jenson! Oh the British media!

honestly, even though everyone i saying this is not a tests strategy for sonsporing (like running lower wtc) i cant believe it will be that impressive. better than old honda, ok, but that wasn't much difficult at all.

Ok, the World IS ending, because I completely and unconditionally agree with Katy.

:o

Yesterday, it was suggested to me by an ex-Ilmor employee that Brawn have managed to screw an extra 25hp out of the Merc engine. I argued that if this were possible, Mercedes would already have done it. I am no engineer but I do know that there are only two ways to 'boost' a lump - you either modify it or increase the revs. However, FIA rules clearly state: "Crankshaft rotational speed must not exceed 18,000 rpm", and unless someone can tell me something different, I believe this rule applies to testing too. You see, Ilmor man's main argument was that BGP were probably over-revving the engine in practice to impress sponsors. I countered that if this were so, it would be illegal and would have been sussed by Charlie and his staff at Barca. The conversation moved on. I know it is hard for both teams and fans to accept the BGP001 is so quick, first time at bat but it's probably quite genuine and it makes for an exciting season. I have to say, the odds the bookies are now offering are beyond a joke. This is one of the most unpredictable sports on earth and though I sincerely hope JB and BGP have a great inaugural season, to be fair, anything can happen. They either know something we don't or they need to get real.

That would be so typical! 2008 it's all Lewis, Lewis, Lewis. So far, 2009 will look like Jenson, Jenson, Jenson! Oh the British media!

Considering the way the British press has treated Button in the past, we may yet get to see some fun moments...

Yesterday, it was suggested to me by an ex-Ilmor employee that Brawn have managed to screw an extra 25hp out of the Merc engine. I argued that if this were possible, Mercedes would already have done it. I am no engineer but I do know that there are only two ways to 'boost' a lump - you either modify it or increase the revs. However, FIA rules clearly state: "Crankshaft rotational speed must not exceed 18,000 rpm", and unless someone can tell me something different, I believe this rule applies to testing too. You see, Ilmor man's main argument was that BGP were probably over-revving the engine in practice to impress sponsors. I countered that if this were so, it would be illegal and would have been sussed by Charlie and his staff at Barca. The conversation moved on. I know it is hard for both teams and fans to accept the BGP001 is so quick, first time at bat but it's probably quite genuine and it makes for an exciting season. I have to say, the odds the bookies are now offering are beyond a joke. This is one of the most unpredictable sports on earth and though I sincerely hope JB and BGP have a great inaugural season, to be fair, anything can happen. They either know something we don't or they need to get real.

There goes the engine freeze.

Well, we were given the 15 months development as the explanation for BGP's performance.

It was too simple, it seems.

So now we are told that they have been able to tweak an engine (someone else's to boot) that they've had for... weeks? a month?

What's next?

There goes the engine freeze.

Well, we were given the 15 months development as the explanation for BGP's performance.

It was too simple, it seems.

So now we are told that they have been able to tweak an engine (someone else's to boot) that they've had for... weeks? a month?

What's next?

I think you may have missed my point, Maure. I thought Ilmor man's accusation was hogwash. BGP would not possibly have had the time to mess with the engine and as I say Whiting would have checked that. There is the still the issue concerning the diffuser. The Colgne Express has reported that Brawn has taken the controversial Williams and Toyota-like diffuser interpretation even further. The paper claims the BGP001 design effectively links the floor with the diffuser in a curved fashion, with the result of radically increased rear downforce. The FIA have already said they are happy with the innovation that has taken place in that area - it's only Flabio and Domenicali who are whingeing. But, that just underlines what I personally think about the BGP0001. The performance is down to a well-developed, ingeniously designed car with a powerful engine, that was easy to get on board and is driven by two of the best drivers in the world. Ende, meine Herren und Damen.

I think you may have missed mine, namely, that we are still fishing around for an explanation... for something we still don't know if is real to begin with.

I think you may have missed mine, namely, that we are still fishing around for an explanation... for something we still don't know if is real to begin with.
I doubt it is anything other than real. Two drivers, same car, 100s of laps, same blistering pace. Most of the other drivers and teams acknowledge the fact that Ross had built a superior car. Of course, racing is the real test. I'm just fed up with people looking for a skeleton in Brackley's cupboard, like my brother's lunch guest, [ilmor man] on Sunday. BGP are not going to attract a sponsor at Barca or Jerez. Melbourne is the shop window. Why mess around now?

I doubt it is anything other than real. Two drivers, same car, 100s of laps, same blistering pace. Most of the other drivers and teams acknowledge the fact that Ross had built a superior car. Of course, racing is the real test. I'm just fed up with people looking for a skeleton in Brackley's cupboard, like my brother's lunch guest, [ilmor man] on Sunday. BGP are not going to attract a sponsor at Barca or Jerez. Melbourne is the shop window. Why mess around now?

Sponsors are crucial and BGP still has none (deep pockets eager to invest, I mean) so it is unsurprising that it was (and remains) the first thought in everyone's mind.

The thing is that we have a US team coming around soon. Should we also expect another front runner to suddenly pop up leaving everyone in the dust from day one even if they don't have the budget, even if they don't do any testing, and even if they fit someone else's engine when the season is about to start?

It is not difficult to understand the hesitation...

Considering 'honda's' inconsistencies from seasons past, I have to wonder (if their current performance is genuine) if this is simply a fluke. Will they be able to develop the car (if their current performance is genuine) with the same astonishment.

From the back of the field, to the front....I'm having problems with this. I'll be happy if their performance is real but I seriously doubt it. We must not forget that this is the same useless 'honda' team we're talking about before we get too carried away

Here's my theory:

2008: Honduhs were so slow that chicanes overtook them. McMerc 2nd in WCC.

2009: Wondas rulez. McMerc sucks.

It's pretty obvious that the cars we call Honda are actually McMercs and the McMercs are Hondas. Ross Brawn went to Woking at night and swtiched the cars. Ron Dennis is a gentleman and never noticed anything, not even the smell of sashimi coming from the cars and the signs of "Warning, fresh paint" written in Brawn's calligraphy.

Lewis thought about complaining when he saw the steering wheel's labels written in Japanese, but as he never actually understood the previous buttons he didn't wanted to sound like a fool.

Heikki thinks they still race at the same pace. Maybe even faster.

Here's my theory:

2008: Honduhs were so slow that chicanes overtook them. McMerc 2nd in WCC.

2009: Wondas rulez. McMerc sucks.

It's pretty obvious that the cars we call Honda are actually McMercs and the McMercs are Hondas. Ross Brawn went to Woking at night and swtiched the cars. Ron Dennis is a gentleman and never noticed anything, not even the smell of sashimi coming from the cars and the signs of "Warning, fresh paint" written in Brawn's calligraphy.

Lewis thought about complaining when he saw the steering wheel's labels written in Japanese, but as he never actually understood the previous buttons he didn't wanted to sound like a fool.

Heikki thinks they still race at the same pace. Maybe even faster.

:lol: that's funny

Here's my theory:

:clap3:

BGP might have a winner car but I cannot believe they are so much faster than anyone else.

No wonder this time round none of them needed Alonso and his Ferrari emails.

Flavio has all the emails now and 6 extra tenths a lap. :naughty:

Sponsors are crucial and BGP still has none (deep pockets eager to invest, I mean) so it is unsurprising that it was (and remains) the first thought in everyone's mind.

The thing is that we have a US team coming around soon. Should we also expect another front runner to suddenly pop up leaving everyone in the dust from day one even if they don't have the budget, even if they don't do any testing, and even if they fit someone else's engine when the season is about to start?

It is not difficult to understand the hesitation...

I think Ross put it quite well today:

Brawn told Auto Motor und Sport: "I am looking for long time partners, not sponsors who want to buy a cheap spot because of fast lap times."

Even F1's cynics are coming around to the realisation that the car is genuinely quick no matter the configuration, with the exclusion of underpowered Honda engines another factor at play.

"Just the driveability of the engine is a dream," Rubens Barrichello, referring to Brawn's customer deal with Mercedes-Benz, said. "Finally, when I accelerate, I have the feeling of knowing what to expect.

Apparently Jenson's engine has blew in testing today. What were people saying about Mercedes being the best engine in F1? :P

Probably accounts for these times:

1. F. Alonso Renault F1 1:18.343 - 99

2. R. Barrichello Brawn GP 1:18.398 +0.055 62

3. J. Button Brawn GP 1:18.892 +0.549 12

4. L. Hamilton McLaren 1:19.513 +1.170 83

5. N. Rosberg Williams 1:19.783 +1.440 123

EDIT: I've just heard that BGP were running race miles when JB's lump broke and Nando's time was apparently posted in quali sim. What are the bookies going to do now?

Apparently Jenson's engine has blew in testing today. What were people saying about Mercedes being the best engine in F1? :P

They were saying "I don't remember anyone saying Mercedes had the best engine".

Probably accounts for these times:

1. F. Alonso Renault F1 1:18.343 - 99

2. R. Barrichello Brawn GP 1:18.398 +0.055 62

3. J. Button Brawn GP 1:18.892 +0.549 12

4. L. Hamilton McLaren 1:19.513 +1.170 83

5. N. Rosberg Williams 1:19.783 +1.440 123

EDIT: I've just heard that BGP were running race miles when JB's lump broke and Nando's time was apparently posted in quali sim. What are the bookies going to do now?

Soil themselves.

They were saying "I don't remember anyone saying Mercedes had the best engine".

Soil themselves.

:lol: