Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FormulaSP

Brawn Gp

Brawn GP fans popping up everywherre, funnily enough they were all critics of Max, and none of them woudl admit that the only reason BGP has a snowball's chance of merely existing, forget scoring points is because of Max's standardization and cost cutting measures.

All heil Max!

Exactly, Cav. All heil Max!

Jens hits the 1:17s at Jerez!

It must say, that Button's lap time was set during a two-lap quali sim on low fuel.

That said, so too was Nico Rosberg's P2 time and that was 0.227 seconds slower than Button's.

Nelson Piquet Jr was also in action for Renault, with the Brazilian showing a much better turn of pace as he got to within 0.6s off Button's P1 time.

As for Lewis Hamilton, the last man present, he continued to struggle in his MP4-24 and found himself 1.2s off the pace at the lunch break.

Times at lunch

1. J. Button Brawn GP 1:17.844 63 laps

2. N. Rosberg Williams 1:18.071 +0.227 42 laps

3. N. Piquet Jr. Renault 1:18.382 +0.538 63 laps

4. L. Hamilton McLaren 1:19.121 +1.277 50 laps

Final times - Day Three

1. J. Button Brawn GP 1:17.844 117

2. N. Rosberg Williams 1:18.071 71

3. N. Piquet Jr. Renault 1:18.382 128

4. L. Hamilton McLaren 1:19.121 112

Yes, that is very good work JB. Power to Master Rosberg too, a man I rate extremely highly. BMW should be watching him and Toyota too, [if they're going to stick around in F1].

Brawn GP fans popping up everywherre, funnily enough they were all critics of Max, and none of them woudl admit that the only reason BGP has a snowball's chance of merely existing, forget scoring points is because of Max's standardization and cost cutting measures.

All heil Max!

Surely a fair amount of the cost of that car came from Honda's enormous budget- the cost cutting measures haven't really changed anything much yet. If the car's as good as it seems budget's not going to be a problem. If it turns out to be a lemon and they can't find sponsors they will be in as much trouble as anyone else.

I don't disagree with Max's cost cutting- I think it's a reality in this economy (although I do disagree with standardization, but that's another story). I just don't think BGP proves it's a success, at least not yet!

Surely a fair amount of the cost of that car came from Honda's enormous budget- the cost cutting measures haven't really changed anything much yet. If the car's as good as it seems budget's not going to be a problem. If it turns out to be a lemon and they can't find sponsors they will be in as much trouble as anyone else.

I don't disagree with Max's cost cutting- I think it's a reality in this economy (although I do disagree with standardization, but that's another story). I just don't think BGP proves it's a success, at least not yet!

Well said.

Lewis in the top 4 in a struggling car!

I think you can make that, 'last' in a struggling car. Heike tests tomorrow. Should be interesting.

I have been reliably informed that BGP did NOT lose an engine in testing, as has been widely reported. It was a gearbox failure that brought his running to an abrupt halt yesterday afternoon.

Correct.

That's okay then, who needs reliable gearboxes anyway?

Absolutely. Red Bull found it much easier on the engines to blow a gearbox up after 5 laps.

That's okay then, who needs reliable gearboxes anyway?

Tractors?

Of course, the car was developed with Honda funding, Oli but it would never have seen the light of day if Brawn couldn't have bought a reasonable priced engine, or made the massive reductions in overheads that he has at Brackley. Ross didn't need Max Moseley to tell him that was the route to the grid. He just had to look at the stock market and the yellow streak on the backs of those who walked away from buying the team. Brawn has brains but he has a big pair of balls too. He took that team on because he had too - to save people's jobs and launch a car they all believed was the dog's bollocks. This team will not fail as long as Mr Brawn stays at the helm - believe me.

With Kovi's time yesterday, however it may have been achieved, it is clear that BGP need to find a tad more pace if they are to compete for the podium in Melbourne and beyond. It's a good thing for the coming season and F1 that McBenz have finally woken up and Hamilton will only take this car faster. From the data I have received, I believe the BGP 001 is currently operating at about 80% potential. With the gearbox issues they have had, it would not have been prudent to push the engine to it's race day config. Jens just has to be on top of his game this year. I think he's still in cruise mode, a little mesmerised by the new toy and he'll need to get more aggressive and wring the damn things neck off if he wants the WDC bad enough. This is his shot. Rubens will feel the same. He will not want to be playing Patrese to JB's Mansell, believe me. Jens has got to deliver - it's now or never. McBenz put a shot across Brawn's bows yesterday and it's time to muster all hands for the battle to come, turn up the wick and crush all who come before them. They may not have expected to be in this position but they are. Ironic as it may seem, 2009, planned as yet another development year is probably the team's best chance at the title too.

Diffuser designs use rule 'loophole' - Whiting E-mail Mar.19

Following a recent visit to the Barcelona test garages, controversial technical features on some F1 cars were inspected by the FIA's Charlie Whiting.

Subsequently, the 30cm-high c#ckpit fairing fins on Williams' FW31 disappeared on safety grounds, and the much smaller fins on the 2009 BMW-Sauber are also believed to have been scrapped ahead of the 2009 season.

But it is understood that, while the rear diffusers of the Brawn, Toyota and Williams cars have been the most controversial of the pre-season, the teams have not been asked to change those designs.

"They used a loophole (in the regulations) that was always there," the governing body's technical delegate Whiting is quoted as saying by Auto Motor und Sport.

"Additionally, we can understand that other teams have a different view," he added.

The threat of formal protests lodged by the teams' rivals in Australia thus remains. "I guarantee whoever wins the races in Melbourne will be told they are cheating, and it doesn't matter who it is," Bernie Ecclestone commented on Wednesday.

Williams' Sam Michael is surprised the other teams have not simply picked up the concept rather than complain about it. "It would be relatively simple to copy this solution," the Australian said.

"It surprises me that more teams have not done so up to now," he is quoted as saying by the German magazine.

SOURCE: Rueters

My pal Chappo had a good sniff around at Jerez before he headed back to Marbella yesterday. He firmly believes that Williams and McBenz were using a softer compound tyre to that which all the teams had used earlier in the week. Interesting - no?

>

^ But the diffuser was modified to reduce the amount of dirty air it produces.

With the loophole the change now basically becomes useless and there still won't be more passing.

Diffusers should have been banned a long time ago, like 1986 when they first appeared, and switch back to some cleaner undertray design.

My pal Chappo had a good sniff around at Jerez before he headed back to Marbella yesterday. He firmly believes that Williams and McBenz were using a softer compound tyre to that which all the teams had used earlier in the week. Interesting - no?

Yes.

Well if it means that on genuine pace BGP are still faster than Frank & Ron then I'm very interested

>

^ But the diffuser was modified to reduce the amount of dirty air it produces.

With the loophole the change now basically becomes useless and there still won't be more passing.

Diffusers should have been banned a long time ago, like 1986 when they first appeared, and switch back to some cleaner undertray design.

Interesting. If you're right, I agree with you. :P

Of course, the car was developed with Honda funding, Oli but it would never have seen the light of day if Brawn couldn't have bought a reasonable priced engine, or made the massive reductions in overheads that he has at Brackley. Ross didn't need Max Moseley to tell him that was the route to the grid. He just had to look at the stock market and the yellow streak on the backs of those who walked away from buying the team. Brawn has brains but he has a big pair of balls too. He took that team on because he had too - to save people's jobs and launch a car they all believed was the dog's bollocks. This team will not fail as long as Mr Brawn stays at the helm - believe me.

In other words, more Brawn's doing than Max's, which was exactly the point I was making. If the cost-cutting measures so far had had that much effect Honda wouldn't have pulled out.

At the risk of arousing ire by suggesting that Brawn is not a man-god, I think you're probably right that the team won't fail, but I would never say never. A team still needs funding- a lot more than Brawn has in his pocket. Sponsorship is going to be hard to come by and especially hard to maintain in a market like this, and if the team fail to keep pace with the rest of the grid in terms of development then things could go sour pretty quick.

I hope for F1's sake that he succeeds though.

hello, i think Brawn cars are running without ballast

I think that the design of the car is the key, if the car is designed to carry a kers and they dont have any, then that space must be filled with ballast and a kers is about 25-40 kg weight. isnt it?

thats mean the car in race condition may be up to a second slower

hello, i think Brawn cars are running without ballast

I think that the design of the car is the key, if the car is designed to carry a kers and they dont have any, then that space must be filled with ballast and a kers is about 25-40 kg weight. isnt it?

thats mean the car in race condition may be up to a second slower

If you run a car 40 kg lighter, it won't necessarily mean the car will go faster. The distribution of weight in relation to balancing off the chassis is the key factor in enhancing speed. Jens was definitely carrying ballast at Barca because he was down on body weight. Of course, every car on the grid has to be a specific weight and I seriously doubt that Brawn GP would have been running practices under that spec. What would have been the point? Like Ross said, he wants a long time partner not sponsors impressed by quick laps and looking for cheap spots. I believe him.