Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FormulaSP

Brawn Gp

If you run a car 40 kg lighter, it won't necessarily mean the car will go faster. The distribution of weight in relation to balancing off the chassis is the key factor in enhancing speed. Jens was definitely carrying ballast at Barca because he was down on body weight. Of course, every car on the grid has to be a specific weight and I seriously doubt that Brawn GP would have been running practices under that spec. What would have been the point? Like Ross said, he wants a long time partner not sponsors impressed by quick laps and looking for cheap spots. I believe him.

i hope you are right and they are going to be in the front row in australia

Brawn GP fans popping up everywherre, funnily enough they were all critics of Max, and none of them woudl admit that the only reason BGP has a snowball's chance of merely existing, forget scoring points is because of Max's standardization and cost cutting measures.

All heil Max!

Never ever question the genius of Ross Brawn.

Never ever question the genius of Ross Brawn.

The genuis of Ross Brawn? ;)

I don't question it, but I do question the abilities of the rest of the team. They weren't exactly promising the last few years, and that was when they had cash to throw around...

They've been doing well, though, and I give them a lot of credit. I hope they are successful because it is a nice story, but we'll see what they got soon enough (as in Malaysia, no one will even come close to Webber in Oz, because I don't want them to).

If you run a car 40 kg lighter, it won't necessarily mean the car will go faster. The distribution of weight in relation to balancing off the chassis is the key factor in enhancing speed. Jens was definitely carrying ballast at Barca because he was down on body weight. Of course, every car on the grid has to be a specific weight and I seriously doubt that Brawn GP would have been running practices under that spec. What would have been the point? Like Ross said, he wants a long time partner not sponsors impressed by quick laps and looking for cheap spots. I believe him.

A lighter car does imply a faster car. Consider the qualification rounds. And weights can also be "balanced off" in a lighter car. I'm not saying that that is going on, but I'm saying that it could be going on. It's within what's possible.

Don't forget it was Honda who had the "double" fuel tank... how much weight did that take off? That risk was taken with one objective and one objective only, to get an advantage.

Now, if it is true that the BGP is below regulation weight, what danger is BGP taking? Not so much unless they show up at the bottom of the field. If they are in the points, they would be ok. At this point, the surprise would only come from extreme results, be those great or awful.

A lighter car does imply a faster car. Consider the qualification rounds. And weights can also be "balanced off" in a lighter car. I'm not saying that that is going on, but I'm saying that it could be going on. It's within what's possible.

Don't forget it was Honda who had the "double" fuel tank... how much weight did that take off? That risk was taken with one objective and one objective only, to get an advantage.

Now, if it is true that the BGP is below regulation weight, what danger is BGP taking? Not so much unless they show up at the bottom of the field. If they are in the points, they would be ok. At this point, the surprise would only come from extreme results, be those great or awful.

Of course, lighter cars do generally go faster but my point concerned ballast. Putting ballast it in the wrong places can seriously unbalance a car and make is slower. Running cars below regulation weight would destroy Ross Brawn's reputation and credibility and basically, bury the team. No sponsor or partner would touch them in my humble opinion.

Ross Brawn had already developed and track-tested the Honda KERS system last year, using a flywheel system developed in conjunction with Flybrid. Unlike any other team, this is a pure flywheel solution mounted inside the front of the fuel tank, running off the front of the engine. This does not need the same complex cooling and placement criteria as the electric or flywheel\electric solutions deployed by other teams. Another piece of brilliant design.

As KERS is not mandatory in 2009, Brawn are not running it; there was no time to mess with it. I agree that this option might account for the blistering pace of the BGP001 out of the box. Without KERS, the car can be configured to run ballast in the most efficient places (i.e. towards the front) rather than some 30Kg of the ballast being replaced by the KERS system in less efficient locations. The combination of front-loaded ballast with a highly-efficient, ground-sucking diffuser are probably the key to the BGP001's pace. Add to that, the fact that Jenson and Rubens are both worth half a second to any team in a well balanced, powerful car and Brawn GP becomes the threat it is.

Technical sources: Autosport

Yes, but the amount of ballast can be reduced and still leave a well balanced car. Done sensibly, it can put the car in the spotlight during the pre-season...

It's part of the game as much as sandbagging is.

Yep. I wonder what teams were sandbagging during pre-season testing? Could be BMW.

Yes, but the amount of ballast can be reduced and still leave a well balanced car. Done sensibly, it can put the car in the spotlight during the pre-season...

If you were Ross Brawn would you do it? Do you think Barca and Jerez were prime opportunities to attract a long-term partner?

Yep. I wonder what teams were sandbagging during pre-season testing? Could be BMW.

They've done a nice job, BMW, haven't they? Haven't drawn much attention to themselves but they seem to have the pace...

If you were Ross Brawn would you do it? Do you think Barca and Jerez were prime opportunities to attract a long-term partner?

I would've presented the team in the best possible light and, yes, tweaking it up if appropriate. Like I said, this would only be a mistake if their real performance were to be far from what's been shown.

What can be said about the pre-season test is that potential partners have lost a golden opportunity to have their name all over the press alongside BGP...

They've done a nice job, BMW, haven't they? Haven't drawn much attention to themselves but they seem to have the pace...

I would've presented the team in the best possible light and, yes, tweaking it up if appropriate. Like I said, this would only be a mistake if their real performance were to be far from what's been shown.

What can be said about the pre-season test is that potential partners have lost a golden opportunity to have their name all over the press alongside BGP...

I cannot see that presenting the team in 'a good light' and 'tweaking it up a bit' belong in the same sentence. Are you suggesting that Brawn should cajole a potential backer into receiving a Ford Ka when they'd paid for a Bentley Continental? I'd like to point out that there's a large dollop of integrity and honesty missing from that equation to say nothing of cutting one's own throat! Ross is no angel, I am sure but I'd rather do business with him than you, Maure. I'm absolutely certain of that.

Brawn needed the focus on his cars, right?

He doesn't need to lie to anyone about their performance though. He looking for a long-term partner, not trying to cover the car with cheaply bought advertisements. He said that after Barca but nobody gets it but me, it seems!

I cannot see that presenting the team in 'a good light' and 'tweaking it up a bit' belong in the same sentence. Are you suggesting that Brawn should cajole a potential backer into receiving a Ford Ka when they'd paid for a Bentley Continental? I'd like to point out that there's a large dollop of integrity and honesty missing from that equation to say nothing of cutting one's own throat! Ross is no angel, I am sure but I'd rather do business with him than you, Maure. I'm absolutely certain of that.

You need to read Maure's posts again, what he is suggesting is not that extreme or unreasonable, but whenever somebody mentions Brawn you seem to get a tad defensive.

He doesn't need to lie to anyone about their performance though. He looking for a long-term partner, not trying to cover the car with cheaply bought advertisements. He said that after Barca but nobody gets it but me, it seems!

:lol: Which team have we all been talking about for the last few weeks?

Maure isn't suggesting there has been a gigantic tweak and that the car will be last on the grid; just that topping the timesheets is better than fourth or fifth. It's not at all unreasonable. The speed may be real, but it's equally probably that it's a little exaggerated. Whether he's advertising to a major partner or a minor sponsor is largely irrelevant at this stage; he just needs everyone to be talking about BGP.

He doesn't need to lie to anyone about their performance though.

Nobody said he did.

What would you say if BGP don't even get into Q3? Would you say they were testing a 2009 spec car? Would you question whether they were wearing ballast or not?

So, as maure said, everything will be fine unless they show a really poor performance in Australia.

They are ready for Round 1 but are they going to have show to show off there car like ever other team, with all of the sponsors on the car... that's if they have any!!

You need to read Maure's posts again, what he is suggesting is not that extreme or unreasonable, but whenever somebody mentions Brawn you seem to get a tad defensive.

Not at all. Their achievement, even if a small percentage is artificial, which I doubt, is nothing short of staggering. I am just defending the validity of what I believe to be a remarkable feat.

:lol: Which team have we all been talking about for the last few weeks?

Maure isn't suggesting there has been a gigantic tweak and that the car will be last on the grid; just that topping the timesheets is better than fourth or fifth. It's not at all unreasonable. The speed may be real, but it's equally probably that it's a little exaggerated. Whether he's advertising to a major partner or a minor sponsor is largely irrelevant at this stage; he just needs everyone to be talking about BGP.

I think Kovi and Naka proved last week that Brawn is going to be looking at fourth or fifth and any potential sponsor/partner can see that. My point was that I don't think Ross is trying to kid anyone otherwise.

Not at all. Their achievement, even if a small percentage is artificial, which I doubt, is nothing short of staggering. I am just defending the validity of what I believe to be a remarkable feat.

I agree!!!

Interestingly, the astonishing performance from day one has hurt BGP since, after all, the reason why Brawn et al. are still arguing that the pace is genuine is because reasonable doubts exist. One can see how potential sponsors would be extra cautious on account of looking like fools come the first race.

So, perhaps, it would've been better for BGP to sandbag (if genuine) its way to the top runners without leaving them so blatantly in the dust...

Nobody said he did.

What would you say if BGP don't even get into Q3? Would you say they were testing a 2009 spec car? Would you question whether they were wearing ballast or not?

So, as maure said, everything will be fine unless they show a really poor performance in Australia.

Ross had already said that 09 is another development year. s##t!, I've written tons of stuff about this and if you read it you will understand that I will not be surprised if they miss Q3 in Melly. I have only tried to keep information flowing to those who are interested. I think they are a solid team and I see little point in being negative about it.

I think Kovi and Naka proved last week that Brawn is going to be looking at fourth or fifth and any potential sponsor/partner can see that. My point was that I don't think Ross is trying to kid anyone otherwise.

Now, now.

One has to wonder why Williams and McLaren were suddenly so fast while considering how other teams would've done were they to have also been on the same track under the same conditions...

They are ready for Round 1 but are they going to have show to show off there car like ever other team, with all of the sponsors on the car... that's if they have any!!

There are a list of partners on www.brawngp.com and I wrote about it back in the thread.

Now, now.

One has to wonder why Williams and McLaren were suddenly so fast while considering how other teams would've done were they to have also been on the same track under the same conditions...

Faster, is my guess but I'm making the point that other teams are making progress and Brawn must be realistic.