Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ash1

Is Mclaren Screwed This Season?

Has the magic of Newey finally fizzled away? Has the benefit of Ferrari's stolen data now rendered null & void for this season's rules? Is the team missing dishonest Dennis? What's going on at McLaren????

I doubt that they are sandbagging. I think they're in trouble.

Has the magic of Newey finally fizzled away? Has the benefit of Ferrari's stolen data now rendered null & void for this season's rules? Is the team missing dishonest Dennis? What's going on at McLaren????

And you base this on what? A few results from Winter testing?

Winter testing is not the most reliable predictor of anything in my experience.

From what I read Meanie <------- hahaha, thats funny is'nt it, Ash has a point. Hamilton seems to think they're behind the other teams, plus remember it's always difficult to defend your championship, especially the first one. We will see....

They had the best car in 2007 for the first time in a very long time. Something gave them that edge... which they didn't have in 2008. There is reason to assume the downward trend will continue when one considers that the enormous troubles RD created have neither been acknowledged not rectified. If anything, there are even more committed to their errors.

Now, it's true that they are not looking very sharp this season... so far. If they are sandbagging, why this season and not last or the one before that? 2007 would have been the perfect season to sandbag and they didn't so it makes little sense to think they have a phenomenal car now but are pretending otherwise. There is something going on in that team, that's for sure. Let's hope it is something good. The quality of the competition is low enough as it is to lose another team...

(btw, RD claims to have retired... those that believe him do so at their very own risk, as always)

Meanie <------- hahaha, thats funny is'nt it

:lol:

Yes, and I think you're also right. By all accounts McLaren are struggling a little. No doubt they won't be as slow as they appear to be but I'm not overly confident at this stage. As Chris says, no one really knows. A few weeks ago everyone thought Renault were in trouble, then people thought Ferrari were screwed. Now McLaren.

:lol:

Yes, and I think you're also right. By all accounts McLaren are struggling a little. No doubt they won't be as slow as they appear to be but I'm not overly confident at this stage. As Chris says, no one really knows. A few weeks ago everyone thought Renault were in trouble, then people thought Ferrari were screwed. Now McLaren.

Except that Australia is now just around the corner...

True, what if Vettel does crap on raceday?

For sure they're not on par with the "best teams" at the moment but that's nothing they could have changed for Australia. Those problems are not new to them and they could have found a solution already. I wish the MP4-24 were like the R28 :D but it won't be.

Ferrari seems to be the best car right now. I think BMW will be a title contender this year and of course I wish Renault could be a title contender in 2009.

For sure they're not on par with the "best teams" at the moment but that's nothing they could have changed for Australia. Those problems are not new to them and they could have found a solution already. I wish the MP4-24 were like the R28 :D but it won't be.

Ferrari seems to be the best car right now. I think BMW will be a title contender this year and of course I wish Renault could be a title contender in 2009.

at this current moment, the Renault seem to be the 2nd best car.....

Brad, Kimi said he has a good feeling on the slicks compared to last year's grooves. You and I know what that means, don't we? :rolleyes:

Brad, Kimi said he has a good feeling on the slicks compared to last year's grooves. You and I know what that means, don't we? :rolleyes:

Many drivers complained about Bridgestone's grooves. I remember Alonso, Kubica, Raikkonen, Bourdais... Hopefully, now slicks could suit them better than others.

Many drivers complained about Bridgestone's grooves. I remember Alonso, Kubica, Raikkonen, Bourdais... Hopefully, now slicks could suit them better than others.

They did and it could be a valid point. However, I just find it interesting that drivers are able to adapt to completely different cars (by all accounts), teams, etc, etc and yet struggle with a Bridgestone groove compared to a Michelin groove :eusa_think:

:D

Let's hope so, eh Brad?? :lol:

They did and it could be a valid point. However, I just find it interesting that drivers are able to adapt to completely different cars (by all accounts), teams, etc, etc and yet struggle with a Bridgestone groove compared to a Michelin groove :eusa_think:

Maybe some drivers are born to be struggled. :eusa_think:

Encantado de saludarle Mr. Pablo.

Nothing wrong with sandbagging in winter and turning up in Oz, with a further six tenths I say.

Sorry man, Alonso is now in Renault. :naughty:

There's nothing wrong with sandbagging in winter but that's not McLaren's style. It used to be BMW and Dr. Mario style but who knows what's going on this winter.

McLaren will be there or thereabouts- maybe a little down on last year but anyone hoping for them to be running 5th or 6th will be disappointed I suspect.

Anyway, Melbourne this year won't be a true reflection of the rest of the season- we'll have to wait until a couple of races in before the drivers are finding the right setups.

I'll tell you after Melbourne. Personally, I don't think we can take much from the testing as usual, to me Red Bull and Ferrari look strong. Then the likes of Toyota, Mclaren, STR, Renault and BMW, followed by FI/Brawn/Williams.

Newey stopped designing mclarens about 3 years ago.

All this is premature. I predict mclaren will again win the australian GP!

It looks like Arrows are blistering fast in testing this season. My money is on them for the title in 2009.

i believe the worry points for mclaren now are:

1) aerodynamics-why they are still using that 08 wing is a puzzle hard to solve. i think heikki used 09 wing but they changed it again once hamilton took the wheel

2)slicks-maybe there is again that tyre downfall in perfomance after some laps,especially the rear ones

3)what were those reliability issues for two succesive days?

4)i havent see a full series of lap times to check consistency,but 1+ seconds off the pace?

5)generally they dont seem keen to cover lots of laps, i dont know what a sign that is

KERS seems to be the best of the field but there are so many questionmarks...hopefully there will be some clues in barcelona test-where they HAVE to test the pace of the car...but i doubt we are going to see the full potential till melbourne..damn testing :P

It's true that McLaren might have put together a great car and are simply having problems fitting it all together... but that, in itself, is reason for concern.

Unfounded speculative drivel, whilst less sordid than masturbating all day, produces less.