Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ash1

Is Mclaren Screwed This Season?

Unfounded speculative drivel, whilst less sordid than masturbating all day, produces less.

:lol: Right words for the soothsayers!

Unfounded speculative drivel, whilst less sordid than masturbating all day, produces less.

I know...oh,yes! I know!

Has the magic of Newey finally fizzled away? Has the benefit of Ferrari's stolen data now rendered null & void for this season's rules? Is the team missing dishonest Dennis? What's going on at McLaren????

I doubt that they are sandbagging. I think they're in trouble.

I don't have any valid reason to believe that McLaren are either sandbagging or are in trouble with the development of the MP4-24. Lets hold judgement on these questions till after round 3 or 4. By then the first major aero updates have been fitted and everything finds order.

From what I read Meanie <------- hahaha, thats funny is'nt it, Ash has a point. Hamilton seems to think they're behind the other teams, plus remember it's always difficult to defend your championship, especially the first one. We will see....

Kimi found that out right............................ :P

Just messing with ya Brad, Kimi will be back in 09!!!!!!!

:lol:

Yes, and I think you're also right. By all accounts McLaren are struggling a little. No doubt they won't be as slow as they appear to be but I'm not overly confident at this stage. As Chris says, no one really knows. A few weeks ago everyone thought Renault were in trouble, then people thought Ferrari were screwed. Now McLaren.

Bascially if your not going for the Winter Qualy Championship your screwed according to the media. All a load of BS, we have no idea what is being tested and when, so to draw any relevance is impossible.

Many drivers complained about Bridgestone's grooves. I remember Alonso, Kubica, Raikkonen, Bourdais... Hopefully, now slicks could suit them better than others.

All drivers listed above may well have problems with the graining on the 09 spec Bridgestone slicks. Due to the sharp initial turn in they all have.

I hope Kimi has found his mojo.

Me too :D

McLaren will be there or thereabouts- maybe a little down on last year but anyone hoping for them to be running 5th or 6th will be disappointed I suspect.

Anyway, Melbourne this year won't be a true reflection of the rest of the season- we'll have to wait until a couple of races in before the drivers are finding the right setups.

Exactly.

It looks like Arrows are blistering fast in testing this season. My money is on them for the title in 2009.

:lol:

But your forgetting the Forti's Craig :lol:

I don't believe their bullcrap with running the 2008 rear wing pretty much all the time, they're using that green flow vis (or what ever it's called) a lot, and they haven't looked that fast..... Don't expect them to be fighting for wins at the start of the season.

Come on guys havent we learnt anything over the years?

BAR were consistently fastest in the build up to the 2006 season, and look how the season panned out - a tussle between Renault & Ferrari

Come on guys havent we learnt anything over the years?

No.

I don't believe their bullcrap with running the 2008 rear wing pretty much all the time, they're using that green flow vis (or what ever it's called) a lot, and they haven't looked that fast..... Don't expect them to be fighting for wins at the start of the season.

The last time I wanted a team to lose was when Ferrari was run by a frog. But these days I would like to see every team and driver have their chance to shine, and I am always aware that a team like Mclaren and Ferrari would always have something extra to show which they won't at the moment. You saw, during one of the tests, they were running on heavy fuel as well as testing 2010 tyres, that itself shows their confidence towards this season. I won't say if they chocked or screwed it this season, nor say something like an idiot who said that they can make a good car and won't know how to put them together blah blah. I will wait! ;)

If I don't have Mclaren on the mix to cheer, I got Kimi to cheer, I am sure Vettel will cheer us up all too.

Now, don't you agree that we all miss Williams on the top of their game? Just as I wish Kimi finds his Mojo, I wish Williams find their Money.

It's really hard to tell about McLaren. They don't look in great shape but most of the drivers were still saying last week that they expect McLaren to be one of the teams to beat. Massa, Webber, Alonso and Piquet I remember were saying it. Perhaps McLaren will take a few races to get up to speed and then mount more of a challenge. The consensus seems to be that Ferrari are fastest, although perhaps with a few reliability worries, but that was the consensus last year too.

It's really hard to tell about McLaren. They don't look in great shape but most of the drivers were still saying last week that they expect McLaren to be one of the teams to beat. Massa, Webber, Alonso and Piquet I remember were saying it. Perhaps McLaren will take a few races to get up to speed and then mount more of a challenge. The consensus seems to be that Ferrari are fastest, although perhaps with a few reliability worries, but that was the consensus last year too.

Mclaren will use KERS from the 1st race. They are going to be heavier, may be Mclaren are going to be fighting for 2nd or 3rd, or just points, but I will wait for just few more days before I say something more. :D

The consensus is that we'll find out in Australia.

I think you need to give it three or four races.

Many people (drivers, mechanics, journalists...) agree that next year will be closer than ever. But at the same time it'll be very hard to recover from a bad start of the season. I think it depends on how well or badly the car works in Australia but a couple of races will be enough to know whether a team can have a winner car or not. We might need 4 races in some cases and just 1 in some others.

Many people (drivers, mechanics, journalists...) agree that next year will be closer than ever. But at the same time it'll be very hard to recover from a bad start of the season. I think it depends on how well or badly the car works in Australia but a couple of races will be enough to know whether a team can have a winner car or not. We might need 4 races in some cases and just 1 in some others.

Indeed.

Besides, the "closer than ever" is yet to be seen. Again, what embarrassment for the big spenders if this were the case. That some (say, Toyota) fails at it is one thing. That all do, quite another. I would say that if teams are perceived somewhat leveled at all is only because driver talent is not always to be found in the teams with bigger budgets...

I disagree Alehop. Because BMW though they performed consistently during last season they didn't have have much wins and Kubica was still in the hunt. A team doesn't have to be winners right from the start, and I am sure Mclaren know something more than what we know. I mean what they are opting to do, while most of the teams won't be using KERS right from the start they will be using, thus more heavy. Or may be its because Lewis and Kova weigh lighter than manyother drivers. Who knows.

Indeed. Ferrari had a terrible 1st round but in the end, they did very well & got a constructors championship! (don't mention Kovy!)

I disagree Alehop. Because BMW though they performed consistently during last season they didn't have have much wins and Kubica was still in the hunt. A team doesn't have to be winners right from the start, and I am sure Mclaren know something more than what we know. I mean what they are opting to do, while most of the teams won't be using KERS right from the start they will be using, thus more heavy. Or may be its because Lewis and Kova weigh lighter than manyother drivers. Who knows.

TBH I don't know whether McLaren have real problems or they are facing the normal issues we can see in pre-season testing every now and then. BMW didn't perform consistently during the whole season because Dr. Mario decided to stop developing the car after Canada but because of all the mistakes the others made Kubica could have won the Championship. Next year it will be different, if you get 12 points for the win and 9 for the 2nd then you need a winner car or an even worse season than last year in terms of mistakes.

TBH I don't know whether McLaren have real problems or they are facing the normal issues we can see in pre-season testing every now and then. BMW didn't perform consistently during the whole season because Dr. Mario decided to stop developing the car after Canada but because of all the mistakes the others made Kubica could have won the Championship. Next year it will be different, if you get 12 points for the win and 9 for the 2nd then you need a winner car or an even worse season than last year in terms of mistakes.

As you must be aware, Alonso himself said that Mclaren is a team which develops its cars quickly, and I am sure they won't be just sitting and watching. Thats what I like about Mclaren the most. While Mercedes worries about the engine they just carry on with the Chassis and aero development. Somehow they put it all well these days. Infact, after Newey left, their cars seem to become more reliable.

Yes Kubica could have won or lost if they decided to push with the development. If I were in Mario's place, I would have backed Kubica with everything I had because you don't know if you will ever get such a chance. But may be they blamed their focus on 2009 season as an excuse for their decline in performance. May be!

As you must be aware, Alonso himself said that Mclaren is a team which develops its cars quickly...

He, he, he... That was while he was there. :rolleyes:

They seemed to have some problems in Jerez but as I said some posts before they could have solved all of them while I'm posting this.

Pre-season testing is the right place and moment to have the problems. Let's see.

He, he, he... That was while he was there. :rolleyes:

They seemed to have some problems in Jerez but as I said some posts before they could have solved all of them while I'm posting this.

Pre-season testing is the right place and moment to have the problems. Let's see.

But they do leave something for us to fight about! :P

True, what if Vettel does crap on raceday?

He may be the next Schumi, but he'll never be the next Kimi. Unless he changes his post quali drinking habits to deliver a quality race day grog bog. Did I read your question right?

Anything can happen with these new front wings. The tracks will be littered with them in the first few races, methinks. The puncture risk heightens and there'll be pit lane mayhem. McBenz have an inherent gearbox issue with the Newey 09 chassis and Ferrari are way off the pace. Renault and Red Bull are fast but Toyota and BMW are more reliable. STR will always be in there scrapping as this will probably be their swansong. It's a lottery. Farce India and the brawling Brawns are using the engine LH won the WDC with [just!] and the latter may throw a surprise or two because of the quality within the team. I can't wait!

[quote name='Pedro de la Rosa' date='Mar 9 2009'][b]Your team, McLaren, seems to have problems, they are 1 second from the top teams...[/b]
Well, nobody knows where every team is during pre-season. Each team has different weight and they test whatever they find interesting, but this year it's even more difficult. We are relaxed. We are going to change half the car aerodynamicaly before the Championship starts. Well, like Ferrari and the rest I suppose.

[b]Yes, but will it be enough to close the current gap? Mark Gen