Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DOF_power

Fia Introduces

>

^ How the hell does it allow freedom when there's a standard underfloor involved ?!

Movable aero as in what ?!

Movable airfoils/wings, fan cars, ground-effect with hydro-pneumatic suspensions cars, cars with (advanced) active suspensions ?!

Also no info if the budget capped teams will be allowed to use TC-LC/ABS/ESP.

Some really wicked cars could be build .

finally some good news. i am happy to see my thoughts of improving f1 realised!

hopefully that ''freedom'' will have a sense...

Yes, lots of fascinating rule changes today. They're so radical I'm having trouble believing they will actually come into force. Autosport has a detailed Q&A with Max about this. In other news, the drivers championship from this year will be won by whoever wins the most races, 2nd place onwards will be determined by the 08-spec points system, slightly bizarrely.

The cost-capped teams idea is really going to shake things up. Max says the median performances of cost-uncapped/-capped teams will be matched but I can't see that fully happening in reality: Renaults and Toyotas would be qualifying alongside Force Indias. Unless Renault, perhaps looking to cut costs anyway, plan on capping their costs? The wins-take-all rule change is again interesting. McLaren for example could almost use the first few races as test sessions without giving too much away for Lewis's WDC.

Well, Dof, some wicked cars indeed could be built. Except that $30m probably wouldn't be enough. And take note of Herr Mosely's point that he can still ban anything which the FIA deem to be "not in the spirit" of the rules. Which will probably be anything remotely interesting.

Stand by for Graham trumpeting a new golden age. God, how depressing.

Edit: Ignore last sentence. It's already happened.

>

^ How the hell does it allow freedom when there's a standard underfloor involved ?!

Yes, the article says 'total technical freedom': a rare blunder from Autosport.

Well, Dof, some wicked cars indeed could be built. Except that $30m probably wouldn't be enough. And take note of Herr Mosely's point that he can still ban anything which the FIA deem to be "not in the spirit" of the rules. Which will probably be anything remotely interesting.

Stand by for Graham trumpeting a new golden age. God, how depressing.

:lol: Well, I really was tempted to say that these rule changes show you how feasible spec cars would be, but didn't have the heart...

I cautiously agree with budget caps, providing it can be guaranteed that the manufacturers can't cheat by burying some of their expenses in their road car division.

However if you're going to restrict the budget you have to hugely relax other restrictions. Anything goes, providing its safe. That way the teams still have a chance to create something radical that will give them an edge. Otherwise it'll just end up as a procession.

I cautiously agree with budget caps, providing it can be guaranteed that the manufacturers can't cheat by burying some of their expenses in their road car division.

However if you're going to restrict the budget you have to hugely relax other restrictions. Anything goes, providing its safe. That way the teams still have a chance to create something radical that will give them an edge. Otherwise it'll just end up as a procession.

I agree with the relaxation on innovation but the creative accounting will continue a pace, regardless of anything the FIA may say or do. They have to drop this idiotic standardised floor too.

Oh no USGPE is going to be $1,000,000 over the budget with their non-existant money (or the money Rupert Murdoch gives them to make an FX reality show about prostitution in F1, whichever comes first)!

Seriously, I want INNOVATION! But I want a budget to control it. It's so simple. Keep it open. If some car company wants to run a hybrid-electric I3, let them. If some privateer wants to run a big bad gas-guzzling V10 for the sake of racing, let them. Just implement some weight penalities to keep it even, and regulate the amount of horsepower each type of engine can produce. Let teams have a real challenge: coming up with the best car, a car that can help the automotive industry, a car that allows for overtaking, under a tight-ish budget (I think they have a good number, actually). Maybe have some sort of green incentive with money.

But then again, I hate all this "let's make rules for 2010" Sh#t before 2009 started. What happens if the current regulations lead to the best season of F1 ever? I mean, yeah, it lacks the innovative spirit F1 needs to have in a large capacity, but you know, it could very well be a desirable product. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Whether or not it's broke remains to be seen.

(I know, DOF, it's been broken for years and never will be fixed, but you know, this what we got for racing, take it or leave it. Or watch dirt modifieds).

So it's 2 formulas in 1... like a toothpaste.

I can smell a disaster coming out of this one.

The disaster exists already - it's called the FIA.

Everyone seems to be missing the most important word in that whole article - VOLUNTARY

The piece of paper that release was written on is not worth even wiping my bum after a long pooper session on the loo

If the FIA cannot find TC software in an ECU box, how can they hope to check that teams stick to a budget limitation?

In a couple of years we will see most teams under the 30m budget, with the same number of employees, being paied through sponsorship deal, free volunteering though road division, suppliers getting paid though a third party through the road division, drivers earning 500k a year (and rest through sponsorship)... you get the idea.

In the end it's a question of people with a lot of money, being able to hide money from people with less money. I am all for it of course, but how that goes along with safety and restrictions to slow down the cars and help overtaking is another issue.

30 million for a cap? And they have the nerve of calling it a "budget cap"????

No, thanks, I'll keep my hat.

"To ensure that the cost-capped cars have neither an advantage nor a disadvantage when compared to cars running to the existing rules, the FIA will retain the right to adjust elements of these freedoms."

They're just not that bright are they.

"To ensure that the cost-capped cars have neither an advantage nor a disadvantage when compared to cars running to the existing rules, the FIA will retain the right to adjust elements of these freedoms."

That sounds like a joke, not a funny one but they have their own and senile sense of humour. I don't agree with FIA's changes but now I clearly see that F1 should be rebuilt from top to toe.

FOTA get rid of FIA, Max, Bernie... for a start.

As I said in the other thread - just gives FIA an excuse to screw with the rules i.e. if you do too well, they will penalise you somehow to make it easier for the others to compete. How is this fair competition?

The problem is that once you create this raft of rules the only way to keep it going is to introduce more rules and so it goes on with an ever increasingly complex set of interlocking, overlapping, contradictory, vague and confusing rules.

Not the way F1 should be.

30 million for a cap? And they have the nerve of calling it a "budget cap"????

No, thanks, I'll keep my hat.

:lol:

It is voluntary, after all. As mark Webber muted yesterday - it won't fly. Ende.