Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

monza gorilla

Wdc To Be Decided On Wins

I'm happy with the new 'agreement' because we'll have one less stupid subject to talk about during the season but as maure said maybe Bernie was just looking for headlines everywhere. We know he doesn't care about the sport as much as he cares about his business.

Even if he did it for that purpouse his popularity among F1 people/fans is lower than ever. He's playing with fire and I don't think FOTA were involved in such a plan. Everybody knows Mosley is Ecclestone's marionette and 2010 is too far away now for both of them.

Was it stupid?

It's made headlines even in regular newspapers... and right when the season is about to start...

Beat that.

All I think it did was show F1 in a poor light, once again. Bad blood in any sport is always newsworthy but not necessarily positive. There again Maure, you're one of the few people I've come across who would argue black was white.

I'm not convinced. Whilst I hate to agree with maure twice in one day (only joking maure ;) ), the casual fan is what brings in the viewership, not the die-hards, and to them almost all publicity is good publicity, especially around the start of the season. Of course I don't think the FIA somehow engineered this- it was purely incompetence- but from my point of view (and many others) the continuing political machinations of F1 are part of what makes it interesting.

On a positive note, it demonstrates to the casual observer (who may be confused/unimpressed by the U-turn) that the FIA is prepared to admit it is wrong and flexible enough for change.

On a much more positive note, it demonstrates that the FIA cannot maintain such an absurd set of rules without the consensus of the FOTA and the F1 people.

On a negative note, FIA brought all this on themselves. Had they not pulled such set of rules out of their arses overnight while drinking singapore c#cktails and used some common sense, none of these would have happened.

FOTA didn't have to put their foot down too stronglyy. I don't think they have the will to do so, anyways.

All I think it did was show F1 in a poor light, once again. Bad blood in any sport is always newsworthy but not necessarily positive. There again Maure, you're one of the few people I've come across who would argue black was white.

It's a gift... but a gift that requires you to misinterpret what I post. So let's say it is a lesser gift... unlike, for example, my exquisitely devilish Viennese Waltz moves.

I'm not convinced. Whilst I hate to agree with maure twice in one day (only joking maure ;) ), the casual fan is what brings in the viewership, not the die-hards, and to them almost all publicity is good publicity, especially around the start of the season. Of course I don't think the FIA somehow engineered this- it was purely incompetence- but from my point of view (and many others) the continuing political machinations of F1 are part of what makes it interesting.

Political machinations, indeed.

Consider this. FOTA got together to change the scoring system (among other things) and were hit with a different change of the scoring system that now, FOTA says, was done too late. If it was too late, why did FOTA got together to change the scoring system _themselves_?

On a positive note, it demonstrates to the casual observer (who may be confused/unimpressed by the U-turn) that the FIA is prepared to admit it is wrong and flexible enough for change.

Nope they had no choice as they issued the change in breach of their own procedures. So not a question of being prepared or flexible, they had to rescind it as it was unenforceable.

Political machinations, indeed.

Consider this. FOTA got together to change the scoring system (among other things) and were hit with a different change of the scoring system that now, FOTA says, was done too late. If it was too late, why did FOTA got together to change the scoring system _themselves_?

If everyone had agreed on one system it wouldn't be too late because they'd be all satisfied, but FIA didn't want FOTA's system, and FOTA obviously didn't want the win thing, so...

If everyone had agreed on one system it wouldn't be too late because they'd be all satisfied, but FIA didn't want FOTA's system, and FOTA obviously didn't want the win thing, so...

...things remain the same.

Do you think that the regulation that FOTA is using to stop FIA has a provision that says it is not applicable in case of consensus?

It could be... but the most likely scenario is that, as we all know, regulations are meaningless whenever it suits whoever...

Do you think that the regulation that FOTA is using to stop FIA has a provision that says it is not applicable in case of consensus?

It could be... but the most likely scenario is that, as we all know, regulations are meaningless whenever it suits whoever...

I think so, at least that's the impression I got from the news articles I read.

Nope they had no choice as they issued the change in breach of their own procedures. So not a question of being prepared or flexible, they had to rescind it as it was unenforceable.

Fair enough. Just out of interest, do we know what rules the FIA breached by trying to enforce the change in the first place? Is there a quote from a rule book that we know of?

I heard a wicked rumor that it was article 199... I know! I said the same thing to myself, not 199 again!

Here are the regulations that the FIA broke:

"Appendix 5 of the F1 sporting regulations details how regulations can be changed in F1, while Article 199 of the International Sporting Code says that the FIA cannot make changes to the sporting regulations at this late stage without unanimous approval of the teams.

It says: "Changes to sporting rules and to all regulations other than those referred to in B) above are published at least 20 days prior to the opening date for entry applications for the championship concerned, but never later than 30 November each year.

"Such changes cannot come into effect before 1 January of the year following their publication, unless the FIA considers that the changes in question are likely to have a substantial impact on the technical design of the vehicle and/or the balance of performance between the cars, in which case they will come into effect no earlier than 1 January of the second year following their publication.

"d) Shorter notice periods...may be applied, provided that the unanimous agreement of all competitors properly entered for the championship or series concerned is obtained."

Ecclestone: New system certain for 2010

By Matt Beer Sunday, March 22nd 2009, 14:34 GMT

Bernie Ecclestone remains adamant that the 'winner takes all' championship system will be introduced in 2010, despite the change having seemingly been abandoned for this season.

Last Tuesday the FIA World Motor Sport Council voted in favour of the proposal to give the title to the driver with most race victories, which had been advocated by Ecclestone's Formula One Management organisation.

But three days later the Formula One Teams' Association issued a statement questioning the validity of the change on the grounds that any such move so close to the start of the championship must have their unanimous support. The FIA subsequently offered to defer the scoring switch.

Although this was taken as a sign that the scheme would not be implemented, Ecclestone insists it has only been postponed, and will just be put into the 2010 rules sufficiently early that the teams' consent would be unnecessary.

"It will be (introduced) next year," Ecclestone told BBC Radio 5 Live.

"It will be supported by the FIA and it will be in the regulations. So when people enter the championship, that's what the regulation will be."

He is convinced that the new system will improve Formula 1's spectacle.

"It's logic - you go to the athletics and you look at the 100 metres, you're not looking at the guy that's second, you're looking at the winner," said Ecclestone. "In most sports people are looking at winners.

"To make any changes when the entries have closed you have to get the unanimous agreement of all the people that have entered. It would appear that some of the teams don't like the idea.

"The whole idea was nothing to do with winning the world championship, the idea was to make sure people raced to win in every race, not to be second or third and collect points."

He added that he also had no doubts that the FIA's budget cap rule would go ahead in 2010 either.

"It is set at

Bollocks!

Senile twat! :mf_tongue: Not you, ****ing Eccles cake! Arrogant little s##t!

Senile twat! :mf_tongue: Not you, ****ing Eccles cake! Arrogant little s##t!

Aye. I hope his delusion turns to forgetfulness in this case.

You are always right George.

Yes, although some people would disagree, those people are fools, let us never forget that.

Bernie seems to want to please us (the fans) by making the racing at the front more exciting. But if he were to conduct a survey on how many fans support the idea of winner-takes-all, he'd realise how badly wrong he is